Superlux HD-668B v Sony MDR V6 v Superlux HD-681 (Advice required)
May 21, 2011 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

skivbly

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, so I've been lurking around the forums since I started looking for new full-size headphones, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to these 4. However, I'm not quite sure as to which one would suit my needs more. I'm by no means an experienced audiophile. All my previous phones have been pretty heavy on the bass (cx-300-ii [RIP], Brainwavz pro alphas [RIP]), and I've been meaning to try out more analytical sounding balanced headphones. So yeah, my question is really which one of these would be better for a person new to analytical sounds?

Feel free to suggest others, though preferably not more than £50. I'm on a budget here :p Also, I tend to go through headphones quite fast hence, the unwillingness to splash on expensive ones, so durability would be a relevant factor. 

p.s. not sure if this is relevant but other headphones I have in my possession are the koss portapros, Audio Technica ath-sj5 and the Brainwavz M2 (yeah there is a pattern in how i pick my earphones :p)

Cheers

May 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 20
I'd go with HD-681

May 21, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 20
Oh , I listen to quite an eclectic mix of music, it used to be predominantly rap and metal but I've branched out into orchestral and acoustic indie and live performance recordings recently so I've been looking for phones that would give me better clarity with those. Also, my setup isn't complicated I use a rockboxed sansa clip+ and my macbook pro. Nothing fancy. Although I wouldn't mind spending on an amp depending on future needs.  

May 21, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 20
I have a review on the HD668B vs the HD681F...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/554328/superlux-hd668b-review-vs-audio-technica-m50-and-superlux-hd681f#post_7481447

May 22, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
I have a review on the HD668B vs the HD681F...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/554328/superlux-hd668b-review-vs-audio-technica-m50-and-superlux-hd681f#post_7481447

Hi yes I did actually read your review on the 668B and the 681F. It was helpful but again, the main concern I have about the 668B and the 681F is the lack of bass. I'm looking for analytical phones without exaggerated bass yes, but I'm not sure I would enjoy phones that just have no bass at all. From the reviews I've read about the 668B, there seems to be disagreement about the bass quality on it. Also, you place the 681F below the 668B in terms of bass quality, so does that mean that these are severely deficient in the amount of bass?

May 22, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #8 of 20
Also, it'd be helpful if someone could do a direct comparison between Superlux 668B and the MDR V6. From what I see, the mdr-v6 seems to be established entry level industry standard headphones, however, I'm not quite sure about its looks :p so I was wondering how it sounds compared to the 668s. The sr850s were included mainly because they use the same drivers as the superluxes and they're even cheaper. Problem is do they sound better as well compared to the 668/681s?

May 22, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
 Hi yes I did actually read your review on the 668B and the 681F. It was helpful but again, the main concern I have about the 668B and the 681F is the lack of bass. I'm looking for analytical phones without exaggerated bass yes, but I'm not sure I would enjoy phones that just have no bass at all. From the reviews I've read about the 668B, there seems to be disagreement about the bass quality on it. Also, you place the 681F below the 668B in terms of bass quality, so does that mean that these are severely deficient in the amount of bass?

I have SR850, 668B and Fischer Audio Eterna which is considered as one of the bassiest IEM and 668B never lack bass. It has more bass than Sound Magic PL30, Sunrise X-cape, i feel like 668B has better bass than SR850. Hope that helps.

May 22, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #11 of 20
May 22, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 20
So yes, I read joker's extremely helpful thread but there is still one more detail that I need help with. Point is, that I'll be using these for casual listening and I don't actually do any studio work. Joker mentions that the mdr-v6s are well suited for casual listening while also asserting that sound signature of the 668Bs are cooler and more analytical, and harder to drive. Does this mean I'll have to pair it up with some warmer sources to get a better sound? 

May 23, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #13 of 20
not perse a wamer source. Harder to drive means it needs a better amp. I own 668B, I think they do benefit from an amp but don't need one perse. I experience them as having pretty high treble, pretty engaging and not very analytical. But I can't compare to V6, because I didn't hear them.

May 23, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
So yes, I read joker's extremely helpful thread but there is still one more detail that I need help with. Point is, that I'll be using these for casual listening and I don't actually do any studio work. Joker mentions that the mdr-v6s are well suited for casual listening while also asserting that sound signature of the 668Bs are cooler and more analytical, and harder to drive. Does this mean I'll have to pair it up with some warmer sources to get a better sound? 

668B sounds great out of a good DAP or sound onboard, it's very easy to drive.

May 23, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #15 of 20
The hd-681 is mean to have the most and deepest bass look at the freq graphs on the superlux website, the hd-668b rolls off after 50hz where the hd-681 goes all the way down to 20hz, the h681F is tuned for treble over bass, the normal h681 is meant to be the balanced version and the hd681b the bass version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back