Superlux has New Headphones: HD662MKII & HD681MKII
Apr 30, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #136 of 149
Thomann has started to deliver the evo in Germany (and Europe I guess). I got mine today. I was very pleased with the tamed highs which aren't sharp anymore. But I was disappointed because the bass wasn't as crisp and punchy as on my old 681.
Some guy on a german forum found out that superlux put an additional felt disc between the driver and the foam-pad. He suggested to remove it:

After I removed it (it's glued slightly) I had the feeling the old 681 is back. Fast, crisp and punchy bass that just makes great fun, the sound was more airier, bigger stage, more dynamic but there are the harsh highs back, too. I will leave the felt away because I really didn't like the clogged sound with it and live with the highs until I find a possibility to mod it.

May 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #137 of 149
Quote:
Thomann has started to deliver the evo in Germany (and Europe I guess). I got mine today. I was very pleased with the tamed highs which aren't sharp anymore. But I was disappointed because the bass wasn't as crisp and punchy as on my old 681.
Some guy on a german forum found out that superlux put an additional felt disc between the driver and the foam-pad. He suggested to remove it:

After I removed it (it's glued slightly) I had the feeling the old 681 is back. Fast, crisp and punchy bass that just makes great fun, the sound was more airier, bigger stage, more dynamic but there are the harsh highs back, too. I will leave the felt away because I really didn't like the clogged sound with it and live with the highs until I find a possibility to mod it.

So you actually like the old 681 better than the EVO?

May 10, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #138 of 149
Just confirmed by Superlux that we are getting the EVO models very soon. Costs the same at Php1990.00 (48.39 USD). :D

May 20, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #139 of 149
Can anyone directly compare the HD668B to the new HD681EVO in terms of the sound character? Bass extension, mids quantity, sibilance, etc.
I currently have a pair of JVC HARX700 but I'm looking for something more open. I'm hoping the either the HD668B or HD681EVO with velour will be less hot/sweaty for long sessions as well as have a better soundstage.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #140 of 149
Got HD681 EVO today. After 2 hours, I love it. Accurate, warm & sweet. I'm listening mainly to  classical guitar. No experience on the other Superlux headphones. I used to love Grado HP-1 ( 1g. aluminium model ). EVO is great HP for poor people like me. I'm living in Japan and have no relation with Superlux. 

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #141 of 149
Quote:
Some guy on a german forum found out that superlux put an additional felt disc between the driver and the foam-pad. He suggested to remove it

So that only covers the part directly above the driver and not any of the passive radiators/fabric damped holes I see. I use a full disc of Creatology felt  and an Arctic Cotton disc ( fuzzy felty-type fabric ) inside there underneath that stock foam insert for part of the 662f mod, might have to see how it is with just above the driver only.
On a side not the Creative Soundblaster pads i should mention are top notch. Too bad they are discontinued

EDIT: just made the two smaller and it made all the difference.  Really nice now.
Thanks a ton for the post!

I hope it is more than just a fabric disc for the newer version, these are capable of much more.

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #142 of 149
Quote:

I took the felt off and put the foam-pad back. Still 6-7 hours, but it's nice. Thanks.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #143 of 149
Quote:
Website says that it has "more of a delicate treble characteristic". And the 681 is known for its insane highs (in both good and bad ways) so guessing that they read the complaints.

I find it funny how a small nearly unknown headphone company based in China seems like they care more about their customers then the bigger companies :D

Its actually Taiwanese company who's factories are in China.
and btw, all their product are like 50% cheaper over there.
I bought my HD668B for around $25 USD in Taipei couple years ago.

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #146 of 149
I got the 681EVO and also agree those who found the need to take the felt off.  It then sounded too bright but what's wierd is that after a few days of usage, the brightness went away.. so did my pair burned in or did it destroyed my ear's hairs, which is a bad thing if it did.  What do you guys think?

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #148 of 149
  So the superlux EVO is this one right? http://www.thomann.de/fr/superlux_hd_681_evo_bk.htm

Does the BK simply means black color?

I believe the BK stands for black and the one with the W is white.

Aug 14, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #149 of 149

Do you mean to remove the foam disk (as seen in the picture, or the foam disk which isn't in the picture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back