Superlux Express Train
Sep 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #451 of 1,352
personally i think the 681,  it scoops the mid's nice smile with the extreme low and high end way up there, and for those that want it flatter with transparent mid's the 662F, no complaints on this one... strange you mentioned the 669 i think it is a very likable headphone... i think it would complement very well... if they would make it handle more SPL...    I personally like the 662 better .... would like to get your input using it with metal?   and the HD-668B is an all around smooth drink... just outstanding with good head...  amp.   i think there is a big complaint for head bangers that there is not enough headphones and ear buds designed for this music alone.   now if you listened to hip hop, man you would be targeted with the most boomy unbelievable overpriced ****, that you'd have have to listen to it a second time, because you could not believe how bad it sounded the first.  

Cheers 
 Doyen

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #452 of 1,352
I can't agree with you more about targetting. It is hard to find headphone reviews that include metal, and when they do, it is generally only a specifical, small section of metal, namely power metal. Go to the metal thread here, and you will see that most people that listen to metla listen to harsh vocals, which gets largely overlooked.
Anyway, I think that the 662f is amazing for all kinds of rock and metal. Anything with guitars sounds amazing to me. The one genre that doesn't sound too great with the 662f to me is classical. Then again, I don't have much to compare it to. That is why I was hoping for some input from people with more experience with a larger number of headphones. I mean, peopel think that thier stock ibuds sound great until they hear something much better, so I might just be fooling myself, and something like the 681 might be exactly what I am looking for. The thing that I love about the 662f is that the bass is so well controled, yet impactful (again, from a limited comparison stand point, so others might disagree). With the 662f, I feel the bass drum. When I listen to a binaural recording of someone whispering into my ear, it literally makes me ear feel like someones is whispering to me. Again, guitars sound great on the 662f to me. Then there are the clear highs which make the cymbals sound crisp and distinct. With harsh vocals, that bass impact gives growls what they need, and the detailed high-mids give the yells/screams the feeling of being real. But I keep getting the feeling that there is something that isn't there; something that isn't quite what is should be. Maybe it is the peaks, or something.
But I am still looking for my white whale. I am still trying to find the headphone that give me exactly what I am looking for, and I might have to spend quit a bit of money trying to find it, or I might just need to give everything in the Superlux line up a listen.

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #457 of 1,352
I know that the 662f is known for its flat signature. Doyen uses it in the studio. I personally love it. Even compared to my HF3, it is still my favorite thing for any music (baring classical. for some reason, classical just doesn't sound right to me on the 662f).

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #459 of 1,352
fish me if can, sink me if you must... i think i just got drunk enough to post :~) anywho, the 662F is more aggressive growl in the mid s... and transparent is beyond the norm... when tracking live or loud every note cuts thru, and the flat low bass.. heaven just the way JAH meant it to be.  

the HD660 is way more subdud that ain't spelled right is it? the mid's are just way more relaxed... good bass and the 40mm drivers tame the highs... good reflection. 

the HD-681 we just received seems to be a 3rd rendition... they changed the driver just a ever so  slight tad, a effort to tame the upper region... in a good way improvement fur sure...  the two we sent Roth Akoustic to mod reported they used less glue so was easier to take apart...  ANy who someone may have mentioned this... but Head Direct has some reasonable leather pads for the 681, 662 replacements...  have not tried them but was told they worked and was awesome.  we are AudioHipster & have no affiliation gIving Head Direct...  a plug,,, or any who else...  just sharing the info...  and listing to blues...  Cheers Doyen 

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #460 of 1,352
Quote:
fish me if can, sink me if you must... i think i just got drunk enough to post :~) anywho, the 662F is more aggressive growl in the mid s... and transparent is beyond the norm... when tracking live or loud every note cuts thru, and the flat low bass.. heaven just the way JAH meant it to be.  

the HD660 is way more subdud that ain't spelled right is it? the mid's are just way more relaxed... good bass and the 40mm drivers tame the highs... good reflection. 

the HD-681 we just received seems to be a 3rd rendition... they changed the driver just a ever so  slight tad, a effort to tame the upper region... in a good way improvement fur sure...  the two we sent Roth Akoustic to mod reported they used less glue so was easier to take apart...  ANy who someone may have mentioned this... but Head Direct has some reasonable leather pads for the 681, 662 replacements...  have not tried them but was told they worked and was awesome.  we are AudioHipster & have no affiliation gIving Head Direct...  a plug,,, or any who else...  just sharing the info...  and listing to blues...  Cheers Doyen 

are there any more cosmetic differences on the third rendition of the 681? Or was it just the driver?

Maybe this is why the price dipped to $25.

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #462 of 1,352
Oct 4, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #464 of 1,352
No .. it seems Superslutz took heed to upper sibilance complaints, and tamed them a little... much better... and Steve Rothermel one of the designer of the Sason speaker... now Roth Akoustic does a re-constrution of the driver somehow and mention they used less glue so it was easier to take apart... hopefully it don't cause any extra rattles...   anywho he agreed it was much better... Interesting how things change over time...
 Cheers Doyen 

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #465 of 1,352
I think I might get another pair of 681's. I originally wanted the 662 but I think I would prefer to make my computer quieter instead of more isolation :D

plus, they are cheaper and me loves some velour pads and a big soundstage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back