Superlux Express Train
Jul 13, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #346 of 1,352
Alright, I just broke my 681's. I was trying to do one of the dampening mods and I must have bumped/torn a wire and not known it because now the right side stopped working. One of the wires appears to be slightly stretched and starting to tear, another white one fully disconnected but I'm not sure where it disconnected from.

I don't think I'll be able to fix it :frowning2:.  Should I buy another 681 or try something new?

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #347 of 1,352
Quote:
Alright, I just broke my 681's. I was trying to do one of the dampening mods and I must have bumped/torn a wire and not known it because now the right side stopped working. One of the wires appears to be slightly stretched and starting to tear, another white one fully disconnected but I'm not sure where it disconnected from.

I don't think I'll be able to fix it :frowning2:.  Should I buy another 681 or try something new?

Buy another HD-681 and leave it stock?

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #348 of 1,352
Quote:
Buy another HD-681 and leave it stock?

I might do that. these things are too sensitive for my untrained hands to be touching around stuff on the inside  
frown.gif

Either this or save up even more for a 668b, would it be much of an upgrade?

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #349 of 1,352
Quote:
I might do that. these things are too sensitive for my untrained hands to be touching around stuff on the inside  
frown.gif

Either this or save up even more for a 668b, would it be much of an upgrade?

668B has more detail and bigger sound stage but 681 is much more enjoyable and i'm afraid that 681 is out of stock everywhere.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #351 of 1,352
No clue how you get the DT990 pads on the HD668Bs I would need like 4 hands to do it. I think it will go but I am just not sure how.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #352 of 1,352
Quote:
No clue how you get the DT990 pads on the HD668Bs I would need like 4 hands to do it. I think it will go but I am just not sure how.

The pads I got for my 681 were a pain to get on with just my hands. I used tape to temporarily hold parts of it onto the headphones until it was fully wrapped around, and then I took the tape off.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #353 of 1,352
I will have to try that. But will have to leave the tape on probably worried there is just not enough to grip there. Plus I don't really want to wreck my DT990 pads. :wink:

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #356 of 1,352
Okay... Three colors coming out of headphone cord on the left ear, RED, BLACK and WHITE. WHITE goes to the red of the left speaker, RED connects to the wire (in the headband) that goes to the right ear and connects to the red wire there. BLACK goes to BOTH the white wire of the left ear and connects to the wire in the headband that connects to the white wire on the right side.

In other words, from the headphone cable, RED - right signal, WHITE - left signal, and BLACK - ground.

From the speakers RED - signal, WHITE - ground. You need the correct signal going to the correct wire, and all speakers need to be grounded with the black.

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #357 of 1,352
my camping rig

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #358 of 1,352
Just got the HD 440's yesterday (for an amazing £20.00) to compliment my HD669 and the first thing that struck me is how well the 440 do female vocals, very silky and seductive. Another thing I just noticed when comparing them with my Yamaha eph100 iEM's on a not very well recorded song by Pulp is that where I had real difficulty making out the words on the Yamaha's the HD 440's made the vocals pop out much more.
The HD 669 are fantastic too, super clear and revealing, almost too much so for relaxed music listening, that where the HD440's come in :) 

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #359 of 1,352
Got my 668B's yesterday and they are great!

When I first plugged them in and had a listen I wasn't too sure, the 2kHz region sounded weird like someone had messed up the EQ. So I left them playing some pink noise at medium volume for a couple of hours, when I came back I put on some DnB and ELO they had transformed. Silky smooth with a great amount of bass (wasn't expecting the bass to be that good).

I'm sold! Might try the extra padding mod for the ear to improve the sound stage as I bought them mainly for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back