Superlux Express Train
May 5, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #317 of 1,352
Quote:
Oh man, I was looking at the 668bs and the Samsons....but I really really like the look of the HD660's...Did they stop making them? I can't seem to find a store that sells them, kinda bummed.

The Superlux HD660 is 150-Ohm headphone, hopefully you have a decent amplifier.
I believe they are sold and shipped from Canada for around $80
Audiohipster sells Superlux.
Try eBay, I think that is were the seller from Canada is listed.

You can order them from Thomann in Europe, $45 for the HD660 and $40 to ship to the USA, total $85.
I believe you can use Beyerdynamic DT770 Velour ear pads for the HD660, Thomann sell them for around $20.
So, total around $105.
Thomann has really good prices, so you can buy lots of stuff, but the shipping charge is still fixed at $40.

May 5, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #318 of 1,352
Ahh I see, not sure I wanna spend that much when the Samsons/668b come to half the price where I am unless they are much much better, to bad really..I live in the U.S :-/.

Thanks for the info though.

May 5, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #321 of 1,352
Quote:
Oh man im now between the 662F, 668, and the samson SR850. what to choose 
confused_face(1).gif

Since you say vocals are important for you then maybe the 668 is not so ideal being that vocals are midrange.  Out of the 662f and 660 the 660 would be the safer choice but I think the 662f are more revealing.  Bare in mind I have not heard the normal and 'b' versions of the 662 and have never heard the 681 so cannot comment on those.  Out of what I have heard I would say try the 662F and see what you think. They really are very impressive for the price.  Looking back, out of the three Superlux I have had, those are the ones I wish I still had.  Instruments sounded very natural.  Maybe I'll get them again someday.

May 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #322 of 1,352
Quote:
Same as the 668b or HD660 which sound more like grados?

The 662 and 660 are closed,  the 668b are semi-open.  None of them really sound at all like Grados.  Out of the headphones I've tried only the MDR-V6 sounded remotely close to my ears, but they were still no where near similar.  Of course there are lots of other headphones out there.  If you are looking for the one that sounds best for rock I would go with the 662F.

May 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #323 of 1,352
Quote:
The 662 and 660 are closed,  the 668b are semi-open.  None of them really sound at all like Grados.  Out of the headphones I've tried only the MDR-V6 sounded remotely close to my ears, but they were still no where near similar.  Of course there are lots of other headphones out there.  If you are looking for the one that sounds best for rock I would go with the 662F.

I care more about accuracy/clarity, I listen to mostly classical/Rock and a bit of funk/hiphop. I currently have the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II but wanted something more big/possibly comfortable with decent sound quality for home use(Gonna leave this stuck in my Xonar DG), I usually keep the HD25-II connected to my mp3 player since I hate messing with jacks(Broke mp3 players in the past... :-/). This brand seems to offer great sound for cheap, thats really why I am looking at them.

Both closed and open work fine for me, guessing I should go with the 662F?

May 6, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #325 of 1,352
External soundcards are typically the better option as they are not subject to interference caused by the rest of your computer components.

May 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #326 of 1,352
Quote:

I care more about accuracy/clarity, I listen to mostly classical/Rock and a bit of funk/hiphop. I currently have the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II but wanted something more big/possibly comfortable with decent sound quality for home use(Gonna leave this stuck in my Xonar DG), I usually keep the HD25-II connected to my mp3 player since I hate messing with jacks(Broke mp3 players in the past... :-/). This brand seems to offer great sound for cheap, thats really why I am looking at them.

Both closed and open work fine for me, guessing I should go with the 662F?

I think you would like them. The cad is on ebay right now for 40 free shipping. I bought mine from this vendor. They are not real comfortable but get better with time. Some people stretch them a bit to lower the clamping force. They have lots of detail and like most Superlux have strong highs but not overbearing like some. The bass is quite accurate IMO.

May 6, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #327 of 1,352
Quote:
Would the HD668B's sound better with an Asus Xonar DG instead of my on-board (Realtek, don't know the exact codec, AMD 780g mobo) or would it not be worth the upgrade?

I've compared the DG to on-board, headphones sound better with the DG
The Xonar DGX is the new PCI-Express version of the Xonar DG.
Chances are the DAC on the DG/DGX is better then whatever is on your motherboard.
The DGX comes with Dolby Digital, which your motherboard does not provide.
The DGX comes with 3 gain setting, your motherboard does not.

May 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #328 of 1,352
Quote:

I think you would like them. The cad is on ebay right now for 40 free shipping. I bought mine from this vendor. They are not real comfortable but get better with time. Some people stretch them a bit to lower the clamping force. They have lots of detail and like most Superlux have strong highs but not overbearing like some. The bass is quite accurate IMO.

Thanks a lot, think I will go for them :)

If anything I will replace the pads with the AKG providing they fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back