Superlux- Cheaper AKG OEM? And Beyer OEM!
Feb 3, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 16
Normally I would say looks aren't everything, but they could have copied the design pretty easy. I wouldn't enjoy the Beyer rip-offs because first off - frequency response isn't the same and the pads (Velour FTW!)... AKG rip-offs seem interesting. Maybe somebody (Maybe donate it to Fitz?) and he can tell us how similar they really are.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 16
I bought a Superlux HD660 cheap off ebay a few weeks ago to settle some long-standing curiosity.

I keep meaning to take a bunch of pictures and post a full review, but the short version is:

Unbelievably crappy.

They copied most of the design features of the DT-770, to some rough approximation.

The very best pair on the shelf might look just like a DT-770 at ten paces and photograph fairly well, but held in hand, you know that the prison where they manufacture them in china has been cutting corners. And sparing the canings.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 16
Hah, thanks eric, the photos made them look v.identical to me. But I guess interent photos can be misleading
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #10 of 16
^%#^&%&*%
thanks guys. i looked these up on ebay out of curiosity, made a semi low offer on one, and a hd681 is on its way...

Jul 23, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #11 of 16
got it today -the hd681- looks like an akg k240. definately cheaper materials then the akg but great fit and finish.
sound is very nice for the price. not as refined as the 240m 600 ohm i have on hand, but pretty darn close. more bass for sure. i will spend some time with these and do an impressions thread.

Jul 23, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got it today -the hd681- looks like an akg k240. definately cheaper materials then the akg but great fit and finish.
sound is very nice for the price. not as refined as the 240m 600 ohm i have on hand, but pretty darn close. more bass for sure. i will spend some time with these and do an impressions thread.

I just heard these the other day and I agree with ourfpshero. I find that they are quite a bit easier to drive then a k240s although the highs are not at the same level as the AKGs.

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
impressions and pics here
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sup...dphone-436092/

that review doesn't seem to bad. they're going for £19.99 on ebay, which puts them into Sennheiser HD201 range (ghastly headphones) or Goldring DR50 territory (on a price deal).

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a Superlux HD660 cheap off ebay a few weeks ago to settle some long-standing curiosity.

Unbelievably crappy.

The very best pair on the shelf might look just like a DT-770 at ten paces and photograph fairly well, but held in hand, you know that the prison where they manufacture them in china has been cutting corners. And sparing the canings.

How can you write that ???

They are not built as weel as the Beyers, but there is absolutly nothing wrong with how it sounds, if you want it to sound like a crappy DT770 you will get dissapointed, but saying they are bad are downright a lie..

I have modified mine with a pair of velourpads and the comfort and sound of these is very good.

BTW They are not from a prison in China, they are from Taiwan.

Also the 681 is a very good phone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back