Sunrise Xcape, M1, MC5, HJE900 4 way comparison (Now w/ TS02!!)
Sep 19, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #16 of 69
Not much info is out there for good reason. IIRC Sennheiser released the IE6/7/8 all at similar times so naturally the IE6 got looked over due to the 7 and 8. It would be hard to find someone who has owned all three although a decent number have heard both MC5 and HJE900. From what I've gathered the IE6 is the most bass monster of the three but I could be wrong.

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #17 of 69
i see.... now based on that.... would you recommend the HJE900 or the MC5 ? based on what i said before....lots of classical, lots of rock, some hip hop and a little bit of other. i currently own the KSC75s and love the sound although i find the bass to be sorta lacking when i listen to hip hop but no other complaints.

Sep 19, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #18 of 69

Quote:
I'm not sure what more burn-in will do for the Xcape since it doesn't do anything wrong in the first place.  I was listening to it last night out of my newly arrived Arrow 12HE 2G.  Fantastic!  I only see it it becoming more refined in everything it does well.  Rawrster will be able to do more burn-in on the HJE900s.  
wink.gif

Yeah..The one aspect of dynamics I never like :p Luckily for me I have enough things to play with so burn in is not an issue and it gives my bored clip+ something to do as it hasn't been doing anything since I sold my MC5 since it was what I used to burn that in. It has 20 hours on them so that helps.

Quote:
so you're loaning his zeros? been trying the zeros myself, would be interested in what you think about them. Oh and this thread also pretty much made it clear that the once tempting HJE900 is definitely not for me. thanks for that. 

I highly doubt the HJE900 is for me as well but it's hard to try without buying although I did have an offer to loan them but decided just to buy and use these as a backup earphone or just a different signature to enjoy along with my RE-Zero. I'm actually thinking that something like the RE-Zero, Eterna and HJE900 would be 3 different signatures that I could enjoy while all of them being pretty capable earphones. I don't think that any of them will take the RE-Zero out of my top spot but I like to be surprised.

Also he does not have my RE-Zero but it depends on when the RE262 comes out mostly. I also would like to compare them to the HJE900 when I get them. He is welcome to try them soon after the RE262 comes out if he does not get a pair himself but I'm sure he knows how to PM me
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #19 of 69
oh nevermind...thought you guys were doing a trade

funny how taste differ. I'm pretty sure the 900s will not be for me while the Zeros disappointed because of their thin bass and had too much focus on the treble while the mids weren't as lush as I would like. Because of this piano solo pieces which I use for reference sound thin on them and a little too edgy/fast for my taste. Do not find them very musical/natural  but they're moving in the right direction in comparison to the re0s which fare even worse. I really like a deep analysis like these or joker's which helps a lot in making things easier to deduct and conclude so I wasn't that surprised about I heard in the Zeros based on joker's review.and know what to expect of others mentioned here because of the dissecting.

From the little that is known about the upcoming RE model,  I have hopes for the 262s so looking forward to your thoughts on that.

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #20 of 69
gahhhh going for the 900s guys lol... i think i may need the powerful bass and treble for classical when a full orchestra comes in and blows away. i wanna feel as if im conducting or in the conductors spot listening.... just have to wait for them to get back down to 75....
frown.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #21 of 69
Well if you think about it we did do a trade..I got his HJE900 and he got my money :p Although no one is taking my RE-Zero away from me unless they offer me something like  JH13 which isn't going to happen ever and would be the steal of the century
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm just hoping the HJE900 is good enough to keep. If not someone gets a good deal and I get my money back :p Also I'm hoping I'm not expecting too much from the RE262 where expectations are higher than it should be but I've never heard the RE252 so I'm expecting a step up from the RE-Zero but not too much.

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #22 of 69
yeah the 900s making certain songs sound really really really really good. On certain songs though the bass is too much for me. I want to try the ZEROs if anyone wants to do a trade! lol.

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #23 of 69

[size=10.0pt]Have been impressed by far for what it is worth.Its bass is a little bit boomy,even in lower frequencies bass is there and not less or more.Its treble focus is very good for a dynamic driver,but precision is not good enough.But I guarantee there is no lose of [/size]

[size=10.0pt]I liked this earphone's soundstage a lot.Small but realistic,not very wide or deep;but it is way better than re0's,ddm's or ne8's soundstage.Male and female vocals are dominant and they are fine,but radius ddm has more liquid and sweet vocals.And this earphone's construction is very similar to the re0 or re- zero;and before I plug it to my ears;I thought if their sound may be similar.And I can honestly say that the re0 and sw-xcape's sound signature and the feeling that they gave are alike.Maybe it is because of even xcape is well balanced,it is rather cold.The sound is full and doesn’t require an amp (32 ohm).[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Will post soon…[/size]

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #24 of 69

Quote:

[size=10.0pt]Have been impressed by far for what it is worth.Its bass is a little bit boomy,even in lower frequencies bass is there and not less or more.Its treble focus is very good for a dynamic driver,but precision is not good enough.But I guarantee there is no lose of [/size]

[size=10.0pt]I liked this earphone's soundstage a lot.Small but realistic,not very wide or deep;but it is way better than re0's,ddm's or ne8's soundstage.Male and female vocals are dominant and they are fine,but radius ddm has more liquid and sweet vocals.And this earphone's construction is very similar to the re0 or re- zero;and before I plug it to my ears;I thought if their sound may be similar.And I can honestly say that the re0 and sw-xcape's sound signature and the feeling that they gave are alike.Maybe it is because of even xcape is well balanced,it is rather cold.The sound is full and doesn’t require an amp (32 ohm).[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Will post soon…[/size]

The Xcape signature did smooth out. Not sure yet whether burn-in or my new amp is givng it the juice it craves.  The bass will tighten up a bit as well.  I never found the Xcape cold, maybe you meant analytical?  Its warmer and more fun sounding than the MC5 to me.

Sep 20, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #25 of 69
After using Radius ddm with sony hybrids ,the bass strength was so much (really for bass monsters!),after that xcape was cold like an ice cream ,let's say it is not warm like pro gold or ie8 ; but near Turbine.And I am honestly saying that in the all iems I have owned,after re0 it is the second iem that drives me crazy.In a good way of course.

Also I agree with you Analixus,these iems are give analytical listening feeling like re0.The detail is not better than re0,the instrument seperation,flow of music and shrilness is behind re0.But somehow i think xcape is more complete than re0.For example,bass was nowhere in re0 when it is unamped,but in xcape;it is there and has a very good quality.It comes from behind a little bit,but deep.Also very detailed bass response I have sensed with my favourite musics,bass is extending very sweetly and doesn't blow the music.Gives very good feeling.

Also in highs re0 is one of the best in the markets but I think no one can say that xcape's highs aren't enough for the real music experience.They are detailed,but not bright and I am sure lots of head-fier also appreciates this taste more,there is no forwardness,agressiveness in highs but they aren't lost.I think middle frequencies are equal in xcape and re0.The only difference the mids are focused in instruments gives high frequencies,but mid response of xcape is more neutral.And both unamped and amped,I believe soundstage of re0 is very limited.But Xcape has deeper soundstage.Re0's sound quality is enhancing very very much with an amp,also Xcape benefits from amplifying.

But lets look from the other side,Xcape is balanced iem but I feel that sometimes music is tending to lose the control.Because bass,mid and highs are very dominant and when they come together;a little bit mixture is occuring.So I can say even though it is balanced,xcape is very attack (the sound is not passive like re252 for example).For its price,I couldn't see any more big weaknesses,since I haven't accustomed myself to this iem.And of course need more burn-in too. 

Last week I was wandering in the forum and I thought that re0 is still the best iem the below 80 dollars in the market and asked myself when it may change.In my music of taste,Xcape is better all arounder than re0 and it may shake the place of re0 in the market if it can be found in more places  ,more distributer and of course more importance in advertising may create a phenomenon.

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #27 of 69
I got the MC5s today, with about 5 hours on them, and I'm liking them pretty nicely. Doesn't feel like these are the kind of headphones to benefit too much from burn-in, but I'll see. They are neither as harsh/aggressive in the highs or lacking in bass as I expected them to be. I agree with your impressions for the most part, with some differences in preference of course. Only thing I'm hearing differently so far is that timbre seems notably more accurate on the HJE900 than the MC5 right now. You have much better sources than I do though =P

I agree a lot that the temperature of the MC5 seems to shift between cool and warm. It must be the usage of a dynamic driver with etymoic tuning :p Sometimes the impact on these surprised me, and they certainly extend down nicely. I can always hear the bass and sub-bass, it's just not as prominent down there as on the HJE900(obviously). I actually wish the treble were a bit more forward at the top, it seems to have a bit less sparkle-factor than my Pannies, though perhaps seeming a bit more controlled. They are also harder to drive than I expected. Obviously their ridiculously good isolation counteracts this, but my Pannies are a good deal louder from my cellphone than the MC5s are. Still, I have a rather weak portable source and their isolation lets me listen comfortably at any volume.

Soundstage and imaging are pretty much exactly as you described, I find. Only that I prefer the HJE900s larger, spatial presentation which others and I have described as quasi-holographic. In a way instruments feel relatively congested to me on the etys because of their smaller stage(which seems like it can extend nicely at the extremes, but lives around a much closer area). Perhaps because of a combination of the slightly slower decay and smaller soundstage, instruments seem less well separated; I can't quite position things as accurately.

These are my first treble-centric pieces of audio-gear though, and I'm quite enjoying them. The closest I've had in terms of signature are probably the PX200-II, which sound much like a more laid back, not quite a crisp version of these, slightly more on the warmer side. I don't think they do any aspect of sound or genre significantly better than my HJE900s so far, but I'm happy with my purchase to plan on keeping them at this point.

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #28 of 69

Quote:
I got the MC5s today, with about 5 hours on them, and I'm liking them pretty nicely. Doesn't feel like these are the kind of headphones to benefit too much from burn-in, but I'll see. They are neither as harsh/aggressive in the highs or lacking in bass as I expected them to be. I agree with your impressions for the most part, with some differences in preference of course. Only thing I'm hearing differently so far is that timbre seems notably more accurate on the HJE900 than the MC5 right now. You have much better sources than I do though =P

I agree a lot that the temperature of the MC5 seems to shift between cool and warm. It must be the usage of a dynamic driver with etymoic tuning :p Sometimes the impact on these surprised me, and they certainly extend down nicely. I can always hear the bass and sub-bass, it's just not as prominent down there as on the HJE900(obviously). I actually wish the treble were a bit more forward at the top, it seems to have a bit less sparkle-factor than my Pannies, though perhaps seeming a bit more controlled. They are also harder to drive than I expected. Obviously their ridiculously good isolation counteracts this, but my Pannies are a good deal louder from my cellphone than the MC5s are. Still, I have a rather weak portable source and their isolation lets me listen comfortably at any volume.

Soundstage and imaging are pretty much exactly as you described, I find. Only that I prefer the HJE900s larger, spatial presentation which others and I have described as quasi-holographic. In a way instruments feel relatively congested to me on the etys because of their smaller stage(which seems like it can extend nicely at the extremes, but lives around a much closer area). Perhaps because of a combination of the slightly slower decay and smaller soundstage, instruments seem less well separated; I can't quite position things as accurately.

These are my first treble-centric pieces of audio-gear though, and I'm quite enjoying them. The closest I've had in terms of signature are probably the PX200-II, which sound much like a more laid back, not quite a crisp version of these, slightly more on the warmer side. I don't think they do any aspect of sound or genre significantly better than my HJE900s so far, but I'm happy with my purchase to plan on keeping them at this point.

Thx for the impressions!  The MC5 is a fine IEM as well.  I think you have a very complementary Jeckyl and Hyde pairing there.  I think the Xcape would exist somewhere in between the two for sure.  

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #30 of 69
So I've got a pair of M1s to try and my results are a bit different, kinda. They lacked any low bass and were a bit lean in nature. They have that surprisingly nice detailed, harmonic quality described here and a bit extra energy in the upper mids and top but not at all an issue. What I think the difference may be in the evaluations is how well they're sealed. Mine were air tight. I put a tiny vent smaller than a twist tie wire in them(Touchy!) and now they sound a lot like the description. Actually I now like them even more than that. If that vent was too big, and it didn't take much, the lower mids really became too prominent and slowed the whole mess down. I also like hybrids on them. They take a bit too much of the top away but if you trim the tip's stalk less than 1/32" (less than 1 mm) and shove it on all the way it's just right, for me. I like these about as much as anything I've owned right now but would have sold them as they arrived due to their lack of bass extension and slightly leaner than right balance though I always thought them very good, especially for the price. These had less bass extension than PL50s for instance though more balanced in the upper ranges. I would have taken a stock pair of HF5s over these as is, haven't heard the reportedly similar MC5 but now I'm not so sure and considering the price, it's a no brainer. I suspect that seal may be what is giving differences in bass evaluation. If you own these, you may want to see if both sides seem the same in bass response as a way to check the seal. The case is a snap together and the wire is sealed at it's exit and these are areas where air could leak. The way the vent is glued over could could get in the way of snap together though I suspect most are tight. Pure speculation on my part but I'd be interested on how others feel about the low bass and general warmth of these. I use FLAC on a Rockboxed Fuze and wav on a Ipod Touch for files with a wide mix of music. I'm not a bass head and wouldn't think about EQing them as they are now.
bigsmile_face.gif
I use Quad 57s at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back