Sunglass-Fi?
May 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #346 of 414
Anyone have any recommendations for some cycling frames that can handle a prescription?  I clearly can't wear my usual Oliver Peoples on a 3 hour tour... and my eyes have been so dry lately, i cant wear my contacts :frowning2: 

May 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #347 of 414
Try Oakley's Sport frames 

May 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #348 of 414
Quote:
Anyone have any recommendations for some cycling frames that can handle a prescription?  I clearly can't wear my usual Oliver Peoples on a 3 hour tour... and my eyes have been so dry lately, i cant wear my contacts :frowning2: 

I'd recommend Rudy Project. Their frames and lenses are better quality than Oakleys in my experience. Oakleys aren't bad for sports sunglasses; I have 3 of them, but Rudy Project frames are more adjustable for comfort, and their lenses are much better quality than the Oakley ones, which are murky and often have uneven coatings.

May 9, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #349 of 414
he is gonna be using his own prescription lenses so Rudy's lenses are out. I understand having a comfortable fitting pair but you need a tight fit when doing active sports so it doesn't fall and break.

May 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #350 of 414
Persol - 12 pairs. Almost as bad as Head-fi and IEMs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

May 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #351 of 414
I only own 1 pair of sunglasses...Oakleys. Not sure of the model name. Great glasses, quite durable

May 10, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #353 of 414
Just checked, they have both prescription lens and prescription insert options. And they'll stay on your face better if you adjust them because you can bend the temples so they hook around your ears, instead of just sitting straight like Oakley's bayonet temples. Also, if he's using OP's now, I think he'll be able to appreciate the little nuances that make some sunglasses better than others.

May 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #354 of 414
will be checking out the Rudy's!  nice to see theyre adjustable, and you seem to get me w/r/t OP's :) 

Quote:
Just checked, they have both prescription lens and prescription insert options. And they'll stay on your face better if you adjust them because you can bend the temples so they hook around your ears, instead of just sitting straight like Oakley's bayonet temples. Also, if he's using OP's now, I think he'll be able to appreciate the little nuances that make some sunglasses better than others.

May 11, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #355 of 414
I'm bored and want some new sunglasses.  I have Maui Jim South Shores right now and wanted something with a little bit bigger lenses.  I looked at the MJ Sand Island and Fleming Beach and both didn't look right on me, not to mention they certainly didn't feel like $320 sunglasses.  My South Shores feel much better than those.

Anyway, I really like the lenses of the MJs but nothing on their site appeals to me anymore.  I tried looking at Kaenon too and they're even worse style wise.  Not interested in RayBans or Oakleys because of the Luxottica garbage, so what are some other ones with great lens reputations?

Here are my current sunglasses:

I'm generally not an aviator type, but thought I looked decent in a pair of junky Randolphs when I had them:

Ignore the dumb hair.

I don't even know what type of face shape I have, but given the above, what would you recommend?

May 12, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #356 of 414
The higher end brands are more focused on frames than lenses. MJ has some of the best lenses out there, but I agree that their frames are a little lacking in quality and style. Serengeti is kind of similar in that way, but maybe you'll find something you like in their lineup. As for high end brands that focus on the optics, your best bet is probably Salt Optics. Many other brands have great frames (While quite good, I wouldn't say Salt's frames are the best out there) and lenses that are quite good, though. I've started a thread compiling information I've found about sunglasses over my years of collecting them here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/657058/sunglass-fi-the-optics-info-thread#post_9430006

So far, I've mostly been posting information on higher end independent brands; I'm sure you'll find something of interest in there.

May 12, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #357 of 414
Quote:
The higher end brands are more focused on frames than lenses. MJ has some of the best lenses out there, but I agree that their frames are a little lacking in quality and style. Serengeti is kind of similar in that way, but maybe you'll find something you like in their lineup. As for high end brands that focus on the optics, your best bet is probably Salt Optics. Many other brands have great frames (While quite good, I wouldn't say Salt's frames are the best out there) and lenses that are quite good, though. I've started a thread compiling information I've found about sunglasses over my years of collecting them here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/657058/sunglass-fi-the-optics-info-thread#post_9430006

So far, I've mostly been posting information on higher end independent brands; I'm sure you'll find something of interest in there.

Thanks, I did see your thread and started checking out some of those brands. I'll check out Salt Optics next, I was just looking at Dillon Optics and thought the Drakes looked pretty nice, but no clue how they'd actually look on me:

How do they stack up frame/lens quality?

Any comments on what type of face I have and what styles might suit me better?  I don't know if I can find places to try some other brands on, it's hard enough finding a place that carries MJ.

May 12, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #358 of 414
The Dillons are mostly notable for the lens technology they have, which reduces reflections on the back of the lens and makes the lens look like it has a matte finish on the outside. It's pretty impressive to see it in person. The frames aren't really that notable, though, IMO.

May 13, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #359 of 414
Since I have no way of knowing how they'll look thanks to having no stores in the state of PA who carry them, I'm not sure I even want to try buying them.  I don't know if you can find them cheaper than the $280 they're listed for direct from Dillon because I can't even find any dealers that have an online sotrefront.

Annoying.

May 14, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #360 of 414
Yeah, Dillon's pretty new so they're difficult to find. If you ever come to Socal, though, I can tell you where I've seen them stocked. We have a lot of good sunglass retailers here; I've seen places that stock a lot of obscure brands like Salt, IC! Berlin, Mykita, Chrome Hearts, etc. We even have a dedicated Oliver Peoples store nearby. I suppose that's to be expected, since Oliver Peoples, Salt, Barton Perreira, and Sama are all HQ'd around here.

There are a lot of sunglass companies other than Dillon that offer products that really stand out. I'd highly recommend taking a closer look at Mykita. They use Zeiss lenses, so the optics are quite decent. They're considerably more expensive than Dillons, but you can find them marked down much more easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back