Summit-Fi Random Thoughts
Mar 19, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #421 of 572
Can you tell me how big of a gap there is between your Phonique DHT & Acuhorn XT ? Also how far up the Lampizator ladder do you think the Acuhorn XT can be compared to?

Generalized percentage gaps are too arbitrary. It'd be the lesser 15%. XT was 5% better than the Berkeley Audio Reference 3.
XT could compare to any Lamp. The differences become more apparent in the XT having less tonal density but cleaner bass definition.
If you also include various tube types, it will become more concise as 45 sound very like with little Elrog deviation.

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #422 of 572
Any summit IEM recommends @Ciggavelli? I got come Campfire Trifecta last week, but the tuning is too wonky for me. Very fun, but it wears off fast imo. I want the Diana TC or Susvara of IEMs.
Annihilator IMO is the Susvara of IEMs but still slightly different.

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #423 of 572
Are there any wireless IEMs that actually stay in your ear for working out?

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #424 of 572
I spent a couple of years in the stax camp in the past with various KG amps (T2/carbon/BHSE) etc etc .
I still have 2 port modded 007mk2s and a 007mk1 just for collection sake.
While i admit the bass of the 007s are great, theyre still not HE-1 levels in engagement/resolution. Problem with the HE-1 is that the internal DAC is seriously meh. To each their own.

Probably also the amp in the he-1. The amount of space available both in the earcups and the box (given motors needed for the theatrics) - doesn't seem likely powerful enough. I think there has been speculation that the he-1 drivers are just modified he90 drivers through?

Mar 20, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #425 of 572
So, it has a bass problem. Interesting. I have never heard an R10, but have the ES-R10, which I like, but it’s not blowing me away. Apparently the bass is better off the ES, but people say they like the midrange and highs better off the OG. Hopefully I’ll hear it one day. I don’t have a particularly rosy tint toward old headphones, but I know many people like their “musicality.”

No.

The HE90 and R10 are drastically different, and only the R10 has the apparent bass deficiency. The HE90's bass for a stat is very sufficient. What the two do share in common are that they both have a very natural tone and voicing to them. The HE90 seems a bit more natural and correct to me than the R10, but both very good in that regard. You can put on the HE90 and leave it on forever without thinking about it. Very complete and very enjoyable.

From what I've seen and talking to people, it seems like the HE-1, like most modern headphones, may be a bit more technically inclined but a bit less carelessly enjoyable (or musical for lack of a better word), but as you mentioned earlier with seemingly more prominent bass. But I haven't heard them, just as assessment of what I know.

Either case is a tough sell, HE90 sells at an absolute premium for a vintage headphone and the HE-1 seems really poorly supported w/some quality control issues. Shame, as they both fill a very unique void not really covered by much else on the market.

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #426 of 572
No.

The HE90 and R10 are drastically different, and only the R10 has the apparent bass deficiency. The HE90's bass for a stat is very sufficient. What the two do share in common are that they both have a very natural tone and voicing to them. The HE90 seems a bit more natural and correct to me than the R10, but both very good in that regard. You can put on the HE90 and leave it on forever without thinking about it. Very complete and very enjoyable.

From what I've seen and talking to people, it seems like the HE-1, like most modern headphones, may be a bit more technically inclined but a bit less carelessly enjoyable (or musical for lack of a better word), but as you mentioned earlier with seemingly more prominent bass. But I haven't heard them, just as assessment of what I know.

Either case is a tough sell, HE90 sells at an absolute premium for a vintage headphone and the HE-1 seems really poorly supported w/some quality control issues. Shame, as they both fill a very unique void not really covered by much else on the market.

Of course the He90 and R10 are totally different. One is estat, one is dynamic - completely different strengths/weaknesses. Still... I think the r10 is the closest to the He90 out of anything on the market. They both have the same approach to what they are trying to do and have that high euphoric sound of the early 90s. What else gives you a taste of what the he90 is doing? Maybe a hd600 since they're kind of of the same design ? CRBN? I don't think so.

I'm not the only person to agrees with this, Van who sold you the He90 sold them because he found owning the R10 to be redundant.

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #427 of 572
Of course the He90 and R10 are totally different. One is estat, one is dynamic - completely different strengths/weaknesses. Still... I think the r10 is the closest to the He90 out of anything on the market. They both have the same approach to what they are trying to do and have that high euphoric sound of the early 90s. What else gives you a taste of what the he90 is doing? Maybe a hd600 since they're kind of of the same design ? CRBN? I don't think so.

I'm not the only person to agrees with this, Van who sold you the He90 sold them because he found owning the R10 to be redundant.
I miss the 90s euphoric sound. The only modern cans that I found to sound euphoric is Utopia 2022 in the right system.

Mar 20, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #428 of 572

I know how you're thinking, and you've mentioned this a few times. I mentioned what I did because Cigg took it as pretty literal (i.e. the light bass of the R10), when the two of them are quite different. Staging wise and overall sound, they present quite different.

But I that's why I also mentioned they do both largely share naturalness in tone and more of the euphoric/musical sound, which is similar to what you're getting at. Out of what Van had, (Omega, other stats, etc.), yup, both the R10 and HE90 stand out as more natural and euphoric. And I would say the HE90 stands out overall as more natural to a degree and the R10 as more euphoric to a degree.

Mar 21, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #429 of 572
I spent a couple of years in the stax camp in the past with various KG amps (T2/carbon/BHSE) etc etc .
I still have 2 port modded 007mk2s and a 007mk1 just for collection sake.
While i admit the bass of the 007s are great, theyre still not HE-1 levels in engagement/resolution. Problem with the HE-1 is that the internal DAC is seriously meh. To each their own.
Let me revisit this topic with a more refined perspective since I have some time to write a real thought down. I'm aware you own a he-1.

I don't intend to excessively criticize the HE-1, it's important to acknowledge that my initial experience with it was in a siloed meet setting. Despite this, I maintain an interest in owning one at some point, as I appreciate the luxury element that Sennheiser has incorporated into the product. As someone who lives in Los Angeles and works in the entertainment industry, I consider the $70k price point to be reasonable. A friend of mine owns a Rick Owens couch made from the same marble, which reportedly costs $250k. He's the target buyer of the he-1.

Although I've mostly kept my thoughts on the HE-1 to myself, I feel compelled to share them while they remain fresh in my mind. As I mentioned in my other post. It's highly probable that the HE-1 is bottlenecked by its amplification (in my case, a different DAC was used). However, this is a logical issue, as incorporating a Megatron or T2 level amp into the case was likely impossible, and Sennheiser had to determine what was sufficient given the design parameters. There is also some type of motor that needs to move the pieces, and the case for the headphone takes some amount of space. The solid-state amp in the earcups is an intriguing workaround, although I cannot attest to its effectiveness. Nonetheless, I appreciate the innovation.

From a purely sonic perspective, the HE-1 exhibits totl resolution. It avoids the bass anemia and piercing highs that plague many electrostatic headphones. While not entirely neutral, the HE-1 maintains a balanced sound signature, albeit with a somewhat unnatural timbre. The soundstage and separation are not particularly remarkable. Additionally, there seems to be a trade-off in the midrange, where the increased low-end presence comes at the expense of the lush vocals found in the HE90. I struggled to derive any emotional connection from the HE-1, although living with it might yield a different experience. I suspect this could be related to power limitations. The Stax SR-007 MK1, when paired with the Carbon, T2, or Megatron amplifiers, also presents a well-balanced tuning but with an elevated midrange, which sets it apart from the treble sparkle provided by the SR-009 and SR-X9000. This is why I strongly prefer the 007. To some extent, the SR-X9000 suffers from similar issues as the HE-1 but with less fullness, better separation, and inferior bass performance.

So I suppose my overall impression is that the HE-1 is designed not to offend but lacks any outstanding virtues that would allow it to compete with the true greats in the headphone world. Those who focus solely on the price tag and believe it to be the ultimate solution may be misunderstanding the product's target market. The HE-1 is aimed at consumers who have limited knowledge about headphones but desire a one-stop, high-end audio solution—the type of individual who might own multiple sports cars, homes, and businesses. It's essential to remember that the Head-Fi community is akin to a group of hot rodders, and we may be overlooking the fact that the HE-1 is more comparable to a Ferrari SF90 in terms of its intended audience and market positioning.

Mar 21, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #430 of 572
Well lurking is free _:)

Mar 21, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #431 of 572
From a purely sonic perspective, the HE-1 exhibits totl resolution. It avoids the bass anemia and piercing highs that plague many electrostatic headphones. While not entirely neutral, the HE-1 maintains a balanced sound signature, albeit with a somewhat unnatural timbre. The soundstage and separation are not particularly remarkable. Additionally, there seems to be a trade-off in the midrange, where the increased low-end presence comes at the expense of the lush vocals found in the HE90. I struggled to derive any emotional connection from the HE-1, although living with it might yield a different experience. I suspect this could be related to power limitations.

So I suppose my overall impression is that the HE-1 is designed not to offend but lacks any outstanding virtues that would allow it to compete with the true greats in the headphone world. Those who focus solely on the price tag and believe it to be the ultimate solution may be misunderstanding the product's target market. The HE-1 is aimed at consumers who have limited knowledge about headphones but desire a one-stop, high-end audio solution—the type of individual who might own multiple sports cars, homes, and businesses. It's essential to remember that the Head-Fi community is akin to a group of hot rodders, and we may be overlooking the fact that the HE-1 is more comparable to a Ferrari SF90 in terms of its intended audience and market positioning.
I just listened to the HE-1 at CanJam NYC. It was only for ten minutes, but in a private room. My subjective impression of the headphone was pretty much exactly the opposite of your highlighted statements above, FWIW. I also disagree with your statement that the HE-1 is "aimed at consumers who have limited knowledge about headphones". That may be a segment of its target audience, but given that the HE-1 was/is a no-holds-barred attempt to create the finest headphone system in existence, I think Sennheiser was also going after the well-heeled audiophile who's willing to pony up whatever it takes to own the best available transducers.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #432 of 572
I just listened to the HE-1 at CanJam NYC. It was only for ten minutes, but in a private room. My subjective impression of the headphone was pretty much exactly the opposite of your highlighted statements above, FWIW. I also disagree with your statement that the HE-1 is "aimed at consumers who have limited knowledge about headphones". That may be a segment of its target audience, but given that the HE-1 was/is a no-holds-barred attempt to create the finest headphone system in existence, I think Sennheiser was also going after the well-heeled audiophile who's willing to pony up whatever it takes to own the best available transducers.

To be clear you think it’s a large soundstage, well separated headphone with a natural presentation?
If we compare the he-1 to a lambda - yeah I would agree. But once we’re in this price stratosphere I don’t see how it bests the sr-o and it lacks full conviction in any particular area over other greats.

If sennheiser was really trying to be friendly to our community they would have made the headphone separate from the rest. It feels very “proprietary blend” if you know what I mean. A few have speculated the he-1 is the same driver more or less, as the he90. Sennheiser was able to avoid additional R&D beyond tweaking and presentation.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #433 of 572
I also thought that it sounded extremely good, but i'm someone who does not like the HD600 line that much, so the HE-1 is most likely not strictly better than some other TOTL's for me.
If you adore the HD650 on tubes over mostly anything else, this is your endgame. Keep in mind audio is about preferences.
Of course it's not function and sound over design, quite the opposite, but it's extremely good anyway, probably like 100% fashion & design and 85% sound in comparison to a different amplifying method, which we cannot test anyway, only Sennheiser when they developed this thing. I really don't think it's far off.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #434 of 572
To be clear you think it’s a large soundstage, well separated headphone with a natural presentation?
If we compare the he-1 to a lambda - yeah I would agree. But once we’re in this price stratosphere I don’t see how it bests the sr-o and it lacks full conviction in any particular area over other greats.

If sennheiser was really trying to be friendly to our community they would have made the headphone separate from the rest. It feels very “proprietary blend” if you know what I mean. A few have speculated the he-1 is the same driver more or less, as the he90. Sennheiser was able to avoid additional R&D beyond tweaking and presentation.
Yes, I perceived the HE-1 to have an ample soundstage with excellent instrument separation at CanJam NYC. Note that I also heard it a long time ago (at CanJam LA, with Sennheiser's chosen music), and remember thinking its soundstage was on the narrower side (really, my only quibble with it then). FWIW, I find soundstage perception can be quite variable depending upon one's state of mind, and of course, upon recording quality. If by "natural presentation" you refer to accurate timbre, then yes, I found the HE-1's timbre to be spot on, certainly better than any STAX I've heard. I haven't heard most of the older STAX offerings, but the X9000 is the only modern one that I think is close to "natural". YMMV, of course, and seemingly does.

I wasn't arguing that Sennheiser couldn't have made the headphone more accessible to the "average" headphone audiophile in a number of ways. Although I can also see the merits (technical and otherwise) in controlling the entire chain when designing the "ultimate" headphone experience. What you said previously was: "The HE-1 is aimed at consumers who have limited knowledge about headphones". As an absolute statement, I just disagree.

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #435 of 572
HE-1 by itself is just okay with the internal dac. If you are spending $70k, you really should pair it with $30k dac, at which point you are over $100k with the streamer. Just like the $1mil speaker rig, this thing is for rich people who don't really care about the sound so long as it sounds decent. Nothing wrong with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back