Summit-Fi Random Thoughts
Mar 30, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #451 of 530
Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #452 of 530
pics or it didn't happen.
:beyersmile:

We went to my bedroom and listened to my speakers (which are modest LS50s). We listened to the Swans, Waxahatee, Weyes Blood, and Esoteric for hours. Somebody was telling me a Swans concert was a bad idea for a date, but she passed the test; she loved the Swans. The fact that this non-audiophile could pick out the TCs as her favorite is a big win for her. :beyersmile: I'm still surprised she liked the Valk so much. I figured she wouldn't. It's also curious that she didn't like the Sus. Maybe it's my chain, but she felt it was lifeless. The Sus is very hard to understand, and I don't think a non-audiophile can properly understand it on a quick listen. She also liked the CA a lot. She thought the AC looked funny. She said it was very "American" looking (she's Chinese); I have the Camphur Burl. The SR was a no go for her. The bass was just missing.

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #453 of 530
🤣 🤣 🤣 :beerchug: Didn't he already post that one with the Danacable Viola cable for the Sus, LOL?
:beyersmile: She saw the Voila and was like, this is a serious cable. I said a friend made it for me. I didn't tell her that it was $5K cable. I told her the cost of my other headphones and she was like :imp: . I told her it's kinda an investment. She's like, well, so are my purses/handbags. She was cool with it. I was like, there are only 38 of these Valks out there so it's a rare item.

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #454 of 530
Mar 30, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #455 of 530
Mar 31, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #456 of 530
:beyersmile:

Hey, there's always time for other stuff. Music comes first :L3000::pill:

I'm gonna convert her to good music. My girlfriends always say they love hanging out with me because I play good music all the time. I got like a plethora of albums to play for any mood. I'm gonna get her into funeral doom and negative rap :L3000:

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #457 of 530
Soon enough you'll be timesharing your TC with her. In the last 2 weeks my wife has listened to my Z1R more than I have. I moved it away from the living rooms setup one day and in the evening when she went to play Unicorn Overlord she called me and asked, "where are the Sony headphones?" So I brought them to the living room and connected them to the setup for her.

I actually agree that ZMFs look "American". It has that mid-20th century American wooden furniture look to it. Like the sort of nice wooden cabinet you'd find in an American antique store.

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #458 of 530
So, I let my, I guess, new girlfriend listen to all my sh!t. I planned it all out. She likes EDM and bass heavy music. I let her listen to the TCs and CA-1a first. She was really impressed. I then gave her the Valkyria, but played some Waxahatchee through them. I let her listen to the Sus and then the AC.

She's not an audiophile (she uses Beats), but her favorites were, in order: TC, Valkyria, CA, AC, Sus, SR.

She's my kinda girl, picking the TCs as her favorite. I was surprised she liked the Valk so much. She said it was like the artist was right in front of her. She didn't really like the Sus, which surprised me. She liked the way it look...hahaha, but she wasn't a big fan of the sound. I told her it takes time to properly understand them. She liked the SR looks, but agreed the bass was lacking.

I don't know why it took so long, but after a few years, I finally brought my fiance into my music room lol. She listened to the Caldera, SGL Sr., R10, and a few others. By and large she enjoyed the Caldera most. She felt the bass was most realistic and similar to speakers. This was with listening to classical, female vocal (old school soul, pop, etc.) and Jazz lol. She mentioned that the Sr. was the most impressive and detailed, but put it down after trying everything and went back to the Caldera lol. It was a very cool experience.

Also, I'm really enjoying the Valkyria still. It's getting the most head time out of everything non-stat for me. The realism, timbre and intimacy of the music is just amazing. It definitely could extend lower and with more impact/authority, but it only becomes an issue with music I typically only listen to through speakers.

listened to a bunch of my headphones. Foreplay, audiophile style...? LOL!

Definitely thought that was going in a different direction lol

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #459 of 530
I don't know why it took so long, but after a few years, I finally brought my fiance into my music room lol. She listened to the Caldera, SGL Sr., R10, and a few others. By and large she enjoyed the Caldera most. She felt the bass was most realistic and similar to speakers. This was with listening to classical, female vocal (old school soul, pop, etc.) and Jazz lol. She mentioned that the Sr. was the most impressive and detailed, but put it down after trying everything and went back to the Caldera lol. It was a very cool experience.

Also, I'm really enjoying the Valkyria still. It's getting the most head time out of everything non-stat for me. The realism, timbre and intimacy of the music is just amazing. It definitely could extend lower and with more impact/authority, but it only becomes an issue with music I typically only listen to through speakers.

Definitely thought that was going in a different direction lol
I forgot to let her listen to the Calderas for some reason. Next time. I would have loved to have her try my old Shang Sr, but she probably wouldn't complained about the bass issues, like she did with the SR1b. She loves bass heavy music like I do. Though, she really liked the Valk :thinking:

It's cool having your significant other listen to your headphones. Plus, it's always good to bring more women into the hobby. They are definitely underrepresented in head-fi, for whatever reason.

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #460 of 530
Soon enough you'll be timesharing your TC with her. In the last 2 weeks my wife has listened to my Z1R more than I have. I moved it away from the living rooms setup one day and in the evening when she went to play Unicorn Overlord she called me and asked, "where are the Sony headphones?" So I brought them to the living room and connected them to the setup for her.

I actually agree that ZMFs look "American". It has that mid-20th century American wooden furniture look to it. Like the sort of nice wooden cabinet you'd find in an American antique store.
We talked about "love languages" previously (apparently it's a hot topic on the dating scene). She said gifts and open communication was her love language. I said physical touch and open communication where mine (I like to cuddle.... 🤷‍♂️ ). I'm thinking about gifting her a pair of headphones. I'd have to get her an amp/dac too. She doesn't have a chain like we do, so I think I'll get her an iFi goBlu. It's cheap and can play hard to drive headphones. I need to think of what type of headphones to get her. It's an extravagant gift for sure. It'll probably be the Utopias or Calderas. I can try to find a used pair for a discount. After having her hear the TOTL sh!t, I can't give her some mid-fi sh!t 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #461 of 530
Regarding my previous post, is there some mid-fi sh!t that emulates the TC or CA?

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #462 of 530
We talked about "love languages" previously (apparently it's a hot topic on the dating scene). She said gifts and open communication was her love language. I said physical touch and open communication where mine (I like to cuddle.... 🤷‍♂️ ). I'm thinking about gifting her a pair of headphones. I'd have to get her an amp/dac too. She doesn't have a chain like we do, so I think I'll get her an iFi goBlu. It's cheap and can play hard to drive headphones. I need to think of what type of headphones to get her. It's an extravagant gift for sure. It'll probably be the Utopias or Calderas. I can try to find a used pair for a discount. After having her hear the TOTL sh!t, I can't give her some mid-fi sh!t 🤷‍♂️
I'd recommend getting her a Bathys, or something wireless, that she can use on the go. There's no sense investing a few grand into something that she might not use all that often, IMO. Personally, I also wouldn't spend kilobucks on someone unless the relationship were more established, but YMMV.

EDIT: I'm about to acquire a Bathys myself. When I heard it at CanJam, the bass was impressive, and there's an equalizer in the app to bump it even more. You're not going to get TC quality bass on a budget.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #463 of 530
I'd recommend getting her a Bathys, or something wireless, that she can use on the go. There's no sense investing a few grand into something that she might not use all that often, IMO. Personally, I also wouldn't spend kilobucks on someone unless the relationship were more established, but YMMV.

EDIT: I'm about to acquire a Bathys myself. When I heard it at CanJam, the bass was impressive, and there's an equalizer in the app to bump it even more. You're not going to get TC quality bass on a budget.
The Bathys is a great choice! I'm gonna look into that now. Having Bluetooth will make things easier. I think she'll love them, but I'll test them out first

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #464 of 530
Copped the Bathys from headphones.com. They get here Tuesday. I had to pay for extra shipping, but I wanna give it to her on our date on Tuesday. $700 ain't that bad for a gift. Much better than what I was thinking of getting her. Hopefully she'll love them.

And if she doesn't like them, I can use them for work. :metal: :pill:

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #465 of 530
I can try to find a used pair for a discount. After having her hear the TOTL sh!t, I can't give her some mid-fi sh!t 🤷‍♂️
I know we're getting way off topic and advice is just that but gifting a used pair, regardless of condition, is ill advised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back