Summit-Fi Random Thoughts
Mar 31, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #466 of 525
I know we're getting way off topic and advice is just that but gifting a used pair, regardless of condition, is ill advised.
Yeah, agreed. I bought the Bathys for her. It'll be new. I haven't heard them, but they should be good. She can have the "Focal" unboxing experience

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #467 of 525
this is oddly intriguing.. lol like watching a forum version love story unfolding. headfi twilight moon.

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #468 of 525
this is oddly intriguing.. lol like watching a forum version love story unfolding. headfi twilight moon.
We should all fly in for the wedding!! :darthsmile:

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #469 of 525
Mar 31, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #470 of 525
I must really like this girl to be buying her headphones :beyersmile:

Having a "love language" of gift giving might get expensive though :thinking:

She's a fashion designer, so hopefully she'll like the aesthetic of the Focal Bathys. I think she will. She's got like a sh!t ton of followers on social media. She can take a pic with them and then post it. :thinking:

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #471 of 525
20240402_191300-01.jpeg

here is a random thought I decided to test out. recently curious about passive preamps, but didn't want to spend too much coin on a whim. and some of them can cost a fair bit eg MFA Reference V2. ordered this small little box off amazon; it's a Nobsound passive preamplifier.

hooked up to the vivaldi apex, and then to the Atma-Sphere monoblocks. the box is simple enough, just a volume knob to adjust. it does the trick and it does it well. I can't seem to find a fault to the sound im getting ie nothing is glaringly wrong and I'm both happy and relieved that it isn't adding or more importantly, subtracting anything.

a sub 100 buck purchase is indeed quite refreshing for a change. it's stuff like this I sometimes regret buying because it just throws me off so much, like did I reeeeeally need to buy expensive preamps LOL

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #472 of 525
20240402_191300-01.jpeg

here is a random thought I decided to test out. recently curious about passive preamps, but didn't want to spend too much coin on a whim. and some of them can cost a fair bit eg MFA Reference V2. ordered this small little box off amazon; it's a Nobsound passive preamplifier.

hooked up to the vivaldi apex, and then to the Atma-Sphere monoblocks. the box is simple enough, just a volume knob to adjust. it does the trick and it does it well. I can't seem to find a fault to the sound im getting ie nothing is glaringly wrong and I'm both happy and relieved that it isn't adding or more importantly, subtracting anything.

a sub 100 buck purchase is indeed quite refreshing for a change. it's stuff like this I sometimes regret buying because it just throws me off so much, like did I reeeeeally need to buy expensive preamps LOL
A great combo! Vivaldi Apex + $100 preamp 😁

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:49 AM Post #473 of 525
Apr 2, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #474 of 525
expensive pre amps? hell ya

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #475 of 525
So the Focal Bathys were a succesful gift! She really like them. Thanks @BassicScience for the rec! I'd give you positive rep, if that feature was implemented on this site.

We had some big game food at a fancy restaurant in Houston. I had some elk (which I've never had before...it was good), and she had some antelope (it was also good). Then we went to a bar talked afterward forever. This girl might be a good one. Hopefully after hearing the TCs and Valk that she isn't too disappointed with the Bathys. But, it's probably the best bluetooth headphones you can buy at the moment. I'll tell her about the app to up the bass. Sharing head-fi with a significant other is amazing 👩‍❤️‍👨

Next, time to get this girl into metal and hip-hop. 👿 I'm already taking her to a Swans concert, which is a good first step. We laid in bed for a few hours talking while listening to the Swans. Next time I'll throw on the new Future album. 👿

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #476 of 525
@Roasty I’m all for cheap preamps. Especially when they’re simple. I remember I had a $100 pair of passive attenuators on the back of a Pass Labs Aleph 5 back in the 90s. Sounded better than the $3000 preamp it replaced.

(Makes me wonder how I ended up with this admittedly wonderful darTZeel NHB-18NS 🤣)

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #477 of 525
Gawd the idea of dating for me in hypothetical is exciting and a dystopian nightmare. Happy to read about others fun times tho….im ok 28 years with, another spoonfilled night, with cats as well, blessed.

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #478 of 525
Gawd the idea of dating for me in hypothetical is exciting and a dystopian nightmare. Happy to read about others fun times tho….im ok 28 years with, another spoonfilled night, with cats as well, blessed.
Dating is a lil scary. I was closed off from the world for 5 years. I didn't date anybody. I was in a serious, long term relationship before that, that ended poorly. My life was all messed up. I had to focus in on my self. But, getting back out there has been fun. Sharing your life with somebody can be a bit scary, but it's worth it. Plus, you could have a new buddy to listen to music with! 🤘:L3000:

Apr 14, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #479 of 525
Takatsuki 2a3 power tubes brought a level up, kinda suprised how much, but not really. Ta 274b really tightened up the structure with great depth, precision and blackness. So gave 2a3 a go, sheesh this was similar to my oladra upgrade in my antipodes dx3 I sent to new Zealand. Mostly upgraded power supply and other hardware changes. But Takatsuki also brought the sound stage up and closer but with every piece of depth and imagery. Same as oladra, it’s not about louder but more intimate. More summit begats more summit. The Phoenix usb has also bloomed but these 2a3 keep getting better so what’s what who knows. But I beleive I have taken the system close to the end, just a new dac maybe next year, finances and life be willing. Cheers.

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #480 of 525
So just checking in... how's the headphone/dating journey going? LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back