Quote:
Personally i dont really like beats.

my suggestions for iem:
1-shure se215, great seal,comfortable, but have long cable that super annoying
2-brainwavz m4, cheap, very nice song but not isolate well

for over/on ear headphone:
M50, seal well, very popular for under 150 price
if u have extra bucks, go for sennheiser hd25-ii, super good~

p/s, i'm also new in head fi, but did a lot of reading on comparisons and review buy head-fiers~

GL on ur purchase, anyway if u buy on amazon u can always return it if u dont like and get full refund~

thanks for all the suggestions, ill research them! :)

Jul 15, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #92 of 123
Quote:
what does EVERYONE think of the studios? do they have good highs and mids alwell as bass... for $140 

The general consensus you'll find is while this community may be a little bit negatively bias towards the brand (and studios in general), what is said about them is generally true: They have muddy, nearly one note bass, lifeless, dreary mids, and dead highs with horrible extension into the upper reaches of the frequency curve. They're generally harsh and dead sounding with and incredibly boxed in sound signature. I mean no offense in this statement at all, but to an un-trained ear, they sound like bliss. But as soon as you hear what hi-fi can actually offer, it will become apparent that you're paying for a brand name. They're also used, which doesn't really matter that much, but for me, I love the feeling of getting something new. If you were to buy something at 140$, I would say just go for the M50s. If you're willing to dish out a little more, the M80s.

Jul 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #93 of 123
Jul 15, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #94 of 123
Quote:
The general consensus you'll find is while this community may be a little bit negatively bias towards the brand (and studios in general), what is said about them is generally true: They have muddy, nearly one note bass, lifeless, dreary mids, and dead highs with horrible extension into the upper reaches of the frequency curve. They're generally harsh and dead sounding with and incredibly boxed in sound signature. I mean no offense in this statement at all, but to an un-trained ear, they sound like bliss. But as soon as you hear what hi-fi can actually offer, it will become apparent that you're paying for a brand name. They're also used, which doesn't really matter that much, but for me, I love the feeling of getting something new. If you were to buy something at 140$, I would say just go for the M50s. If you're willing to dish out a little more, the M80s.

ok.. ok.. interesting... so back to the m50's hahah well ill just keep researching

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #95 of 123
Jul 15, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #96 of 123
Ncredible is not horable...hehe.

let me see...i have heard the akg450..V-Jays, C-Jays..esw9..P5...imageOne...t50p..1350...ST-700
i would rate this ON ear fone very highly.
its on my ears now..playing internet music off the samsungfone...bossa nova..very clear, punchy.
enough air in the music, like morning breeze. v enjoyable.

over the weekend i was playing some serious classicals thru it...on my macbook..
not bad...not bad at all. if i say it could be better than some fullsize cans i will get stoned.
deadhorse.gif

anyway its a monster beat hype...it should be crushed under my truck.
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #97 of 123
Quote:

let me see...i have heard the akg450..V-Jays, C-Jays..esw9..P5...imageOne...t50p..1350...ST-700
its on my ears now..playing internet music off the samsungfone...bossa nova..very clear, punchy.

over the weekend i was playing some serious classicals thru it...on my macbook..
not bad...not bad at all. if i say it could be better than some fullsize cans i will get stoned.
deadhorse.gif

tongue.gif

ok. ill consider those

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #99 of 123
Quote:

deadhorse.gif

tongue.gif

Does this mean these are actually open headphones? 
blink.gif

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #100 of 123
geez....i plugged the Ncredible directly into my old office HP computer..w/o an external dac...turned on ITUNEs-radio..
almost every channel suckzzzz. boomy bassy... cept maybe Live365-bossa nova channel. :p
( i guess the quality/synergy of the source would affect your listening pleasure. )

=========================================================================================
""Does this mean these are actually open headphones?
blink.gif
""

it should be opened once i run my truck over it.
tongue_smile.gif

============================================================================================

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #101 of 123
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbzooE7jtiE

Listening to Le Freak on my home rig...amazing tight bass, thumping, the clapping is crisp..a joy to listen to.

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #105 of 123
The Audio-Technica M50s are of much, much better build quality (real leather); the beats are cheap, flimsy plastic.
The Audio-Technica M50s don't have silly electronic chips in the signal path, requiring you to replace batteries in your headphones, this is ridiculous (I have never had to turn a pair of headphones on).

The M50s have superior bass quality, it is much clearer and much more detailed. The mids and highs are both very accurately represented and with great clarity and detail.
The Beats have a larger bass quantity that is muddy and drowns out the mids and highs. It is not difficult to make loud bass, but it is difficult to reproduce bass accurately.
If you want more bass, you can always EQ, as the M50s respond very well to EQing. Maybe get a nice headphone amp that includes a bass boost.

Here's a review of the Audio-Technica M50s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPfPFWefdVI&feature=related.
Here's a comparison of the M50s with the top-of-the-line $400 Beats Pros http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et_PWifUd1w

You final decision is essentially this... Do you want:

A.) A headphone with great bass, great mids, great highs, accurate, exceptional sound quality. Great separation, detail, clarity. Good with rock, hip-hop, electronic music, rap, etc. (accurate reproduction of source material) *Extra points for rock-solid build quality* headphones for sound quality

B.) A headphone you can show off to people (because they're beats, not because of sound quality), that has muddy, loud bass, and mids/highs that are of substantially lower quality, and requires batteries to play anything. headphones for show

If you want A, get the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S, if you want B, please do not buy anything other than beats.

P.S. - You really don't believe Dr. Dre wears beats for actual music production, do you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back