Suggestions Needed: Searching for the Brand to meet my musical tastes.
Jan 17, 2011 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

theW

New Head-Fier
Hello, I posted this same query in the 'DON'T START A NEW THREAD' Thread, but I only got one reponse.  I'm hoping to get a little more input, so here goes:

I am contemplating a new headphone purchase and could use some help.  I currently own Audio Technica ATH-AD700's but am looking for something that is a bit smaller (for travel) w/ more bass.  I was going to pull the trigger on the ATH-M50's at HeadRoom, but seeing as they are on a 4-8 week leadtime I've been looking around this site and debating the DENON AH-D1100 as well.  I will listen direct from iTouch (when mobile) 30%, direct from MacBook (for movies) 20% & from my Aura Note for music (and sometimes movies) 50%.  I listen to Bon Iver, Mumford & Sons, Fleet Foxes, Melody Gardot, Julie London, Ray Charles, The Black Keys.  Should I be considering something from Grado?  Mainly, I'm trying to find the manufacturer that would mesh with my listening preferences. 

I did try the B&W P5 Mobile's from the Apple Store but I ended up returning them.  I loved the size (for travel) and the design aesthetic of these, but the sound and comfort (too much clamping force!) were lacking so I couldn't justify the $300 for them.  In the longer term, I may be looking for a larger full size (DENON AH-D2000?) to replace my ATH-AD700's, but I thought something in the $150 range that would give me a taste of what to expect from a manufacturer and give me something to travel with would be a good start?

Also, is HeadRoom the best way to audition headphones?  I'm finding it frustrating that I can't easily go out and audition all of these!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 4
Guitarcenter usaully has a nice selection of high-end headphones, so if there is one near you, you can head there to audition a few different brands.  In addition to Headroom, Amazon is an excellent online vendor as well.  I purchased two headphones from them with no issues at all.  Now some recomendations for ya:

AKG K 240

Audio-Technica ATH-A700, AD900

Beyerdyanmic DT 860, DT 880 32 Ohm

Denon AH-D2000

Grado SR225i

Sennheiser HD595

Shure SRH840

Ultrasone HFi 780, PRO 750

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks Digital-Pride!

I do have a Guitar Center close, I didn't even think of that.  That will be a good place to start.

I use Amazon a lot.  I've never bought an electronics items from them with the intent of trying it out though.  It sounds like they have a pretty good policy on that, although I'd want to be down to a pair or two before utilizing that. 

Hopefully GC will have some good stuff on display to listen to.

From the above, could you rank a 1/2/3 based on my musical preferences?  I know a lot of it will come down to personal preference, but it seems that there is a 'general' consensus that certain brands are better suited to certain genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back