Suggestions For A TOTL UIEM!!!
Aug 10, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:
I don't think the AS(G)-2 shells are acrylic... I can see the BA's going misaligned if you were to drop them, but that'll happen with just about an BA-based IEM.  The ASG-2's shell is a softer material, I don't feel that it'll shatter like an acrylic shell would IMO. 

Quote:
  The ASG-2 and all AS earphones aren't acrylic, but a different, lighter material.

Yep, they are made of some kind of plastic resin that can be 3D printed. I don't know how much more durable it is, and/or how much more shock protective they are, if at all.

It's unlikely any of these earphones provide substantial shock protection for the BA drivers inside. If people are afraid of problems with durability of acrylic, such as in the OP, it's best if they avoid these "boutique" makers and go with manufacturers that can provide robust warranties that just replace everything at once. I personally don't think it's much of a problem, though, but that's one of the concerns the OP had.

Quote:
I'm just wondering, do filled acrylic shells shatter? (ie: FitEar CIEMs)

Most don't shatter, unless you take a hammer to them (like Kunlun mentioned). At most, they crack, and in small spots. Most people also think cracks in the lacquer are cracks in the shell. Not so. The acrylic lacquer is more brittle than the acrylic wall itself, so the lacquer can crack due to thermal expansion, minor trauma, etc.

And for official record, FitEar IEMs are NOT filled with acrylic. It was a misconception that many of us (including me) believed years ago. It is not so. They fill the tip up to a certain line, but the drivers are not encased in acrylic. FitEar will lacquer on acrylic in areas they feel require reinforcement. However, I've seen an early model 333 crack near where the plastic faceplate and shell are joined.

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #17 of 19
  Hi guys, I've recently decided to leave the CIEM family, and go back to my old UIEM roots, just couldn't handle 1. the inconvenience of CIEMs (can't really use it in some situations) 2. the anxiety of dropping them and messing them up and having them shatter on me. So, I've put them up for sale and now I'm in search for a replacement, with a budget of about $1000 USD, give or take a little for shipping/etc... 

I'm a fan of pretty much all genres of music, and usually prefer more warm sound signatures, but as long as it doesn't have eardrum tearing treble I'll gladly give it a shot. I'll be demoing most of these if possible, where I live it isn't to hard to get my hands on demos for MOST IEMs, but either way I just need some suggestions to get me going :)

Thanks in advance guys!

So, which UIEM did you eventually go for? As long as it wasn't the "King of incoherence" (the AKG K3003 - dreadful in every possible way imaginable) I would expect you to be quite happy about it? No!?

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #18 of 19

So, which UIEM did you eventually go for? As long as it wasn't the "King of incoherence" (the AKG K3003 - dreadful in every possible way imaginable) I would expect you to be quite happy about it? No!?

Haha I've actually decided instead to spend the cash on full sized headphones, but in all honesty the Vsonic GR07 and Final Audio Heaven V aren't satisfying enough for mobile use, so I've started saving for the Noble 6 :) Ah, the never ending spending of this hobby...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back