Suggestions For A TOTL UIEM!!!
Aug 7, 2013 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Noobmachine

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I've recently decided to leave the CIEM family, and go back to my old UIEM roots, just couldn't handle 1. the inconvenience of CIEMs (can't really use it in some situations) 2. the anxiety of dropping them and messing them up and having them shatter on me. So, I've put them up for sale and now I'm in search for a replacement, with a budget of about $1000 USD, give or take a little for shipping/etc... 

I'm a fan of pretty much all genres of music, and usually prefer more warm sound signatures, but as long as it doesn't have eardrum tearing treble I'll gladly give it a shot. I'll be demoing most of these if possible, where I live it isn't to hard to get my hands on demos for MOST IEMs, but either way I just need some suggestions to get me going :)

Thanks in advance guys!

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
SINGAPORE FTW! ok err have you tried the new SE846. senn IE800, AKG K3003, Heir 5.0+, universal 3DD?

Hey! Fellow Singaporean!!!!  :D Ahem, I have tried the universal 3DD (not good... I had hoped for more and after the demo was quite disheartened), and my previous CIEM was actually the Heir 8.A, so I think the 5.0 and universal 3DD would be out... 

I did manage to try the SE846 recently but only for about 5 minutes or so, but overall it seems really impressive! Perhaps I'll go with that, but I'll probably want to demo it more extensively beforehand.... the K3003 seems a little dodgy, mixed reviews and what not, and the IE800 seems to be bashed for the design a lot, though I'll end up demoing all of them probably :p

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 19
It's a good idea to demo them! Stereo at Ion has all 3 of them for demo. I personally have not demoed the SE846, but the IE800 did impress me. Although at the time of demoing the ie800 I was using SE535. K3003 was mehhhhhh for me, sounded like how a universal 8.A but it just didn't sit right with me. Demoed too short to get a conclusive result.

You don't have to spend so much on a universal actually. W4/R, UE900, UM3X ect might suffice.

Regards,
Cat

Symphonium Audio Proudly Designed and Manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Symphonium Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/symphoniumaudio https://twitter.com/SymphoniumAudio https://www.instagram.com/symphoniumaudio/ https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/ info@symphoniumaudio.com
Aug 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 19
Just throwing some options. Tralucent 1plus2, FitEat ToGo 334 (TG334), Aurisonics ASG-2, Ultrasone IQ, StageDriver 3 (Sorry forgot the manufacturer name at the moment), and the ones already listed (akg k3003, sennheiser ie800, shure se846).

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
...K3003 was mehhhhhh for me, sounded like how a universal 8.A but it just didn't sit right with me. Demoed too short to get a conclusive result.

WOW!

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Avoid acrylic-based shells, then. They're basically the same as CIEMs, except with universal tip barrels. That means the 334, Parterre, AS-2, 1Plus2, SD3 are all off your list, along with several others I'm forgetting.

I don't think the AS(G)-2 shells are acrylic... I can see the BA's going misaligned if you were to drop them, but that'll happen with just about an BA-based IEM.  The ASG-2's shell is a softer material, I don't feel that it'll shatter like an acrylic shell would IMO. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 19
The ASG-2 demo set that I tried doesn't look and feel of acrylic.
Since the TS is in Singapore, he can visit Jaben to try the FitEar (if they still have the demo set), 846, JEM for the ASG-2, Stereo for IE800, K3003 and other S$600-700 uIEM.
Maybe you can also let us know your budget since a 334 is retailing at S$1788 while the ASG-2 can be had for a grand less than the 334.
Some of the S'poreans members of HeadFi also own the 1plus2 and SD3, but you have to PM them directly to arrange for some auditions.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Avoid acrylic-based shells, then. They're basically the same as CIEMs, except with universal tip barrels. That means the 334, Parterre, AS-2, 1Plus2, SD3 are all off your list, along with several others I'm forgetting.

I'm just wondering, do filled acrylic shells shatter? (ie: FitEar CIEMs)

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #15 of 19
I always had the impression that Fitear IEMs/CIEMs are all filled acrylic? And if so usually isn't that more durable?

I've decided that I'll actually buy a TOTL headphone (TH-900) instead, and probably get one of those "value for money" "FOTM" IEMs for use on the go :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back