Suggestions for $1000 CD Player
Sep 20, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #16 of 55
Thanks for the reply everybody. The information you get from head-fi is just incredible. I am so glad I found this site.

With so many choices and routes to go for a source, I am getting really confused! One poster noted the use of a universal DVD player -- that is beginning to "sound" good to me because I just had an HDTV LCD flat screen (Sharp LC37G4U) installed last month. I don't have a home theater sound system yet,so perhaps a high end DVD player (Denon 3910, etc) can do double duty as my headphone and DVD source. I also have a Sony VAIO laptop with P4 that I am not using. Perhaps I can get an M-Audio transit and a DAC1. I had the itch to go to San Francisco (45 minute drive) to listen to and pick-up a Rega planet yesterday, but I exercised self-control as I have not carefully analyzed all of my options yet. I have a feeling I will end with a planet anyways.

Decisions, decisions....

Sep 20, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #17 of 55
Before you make your decision, make sure you search the Audiogon forums for info on $1000 CDPs. Like this site, there is an incredible wealth of audio information available from users of that site. For myself, if my primary desire was redbook CD playing, I would not consider buying a DVD player for CD playback, unless you go up to the $3000 Arcam DVD 27-A.

Sep 21, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #18 of 55
Arcam has a new DVD player for less than $2k: the DV79. It does Redbook audio, video, DVD-A extremely well. IMO this unit can be used as a high-quality head-fi source. I have the DV79 connected to my maxed MPX3, and the results are excellent. I use HD650s with this system.

Having owned both Denon and Arcam sources over the last few years, I strongly prefer Arcam...

http://www.audiophilesystems.com/arcam/index.htm

PS: Arcam just released the DV29, the successor to the DV27A. Though it costs $3k, this unit probably has absurdly good audio.

Sep 21, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #19 of 55
If you are setting your limit around $1000, please don't be a fool and insist it must be new. You can do quite a bit on the used market. Finding a used Sony 555ES for $500-600 and then modding it nets you an outstanding player, that according to some reviews, blows the pants of more expensive players. Buying a new Rega is not worth it, when a used one can be had for $500-600, but the consensus is that it won't beat that Sony. The DAC-1 might also be worth consideration, paired with a cheaper transport.

Sep 21, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #20 of 55
I wouldn't discount the used market, either. I've bought all of my audio equipment in my speaker system off Audiogon without a hitch and usually cut the retail cost in half. Then again, I'm not sure if warranties transfer to the secondhand owner.

Sounds like you are really partial to the Rega. I'd try to audition the Rega vs. the Toshiba. If you can't hear a difference, might as well go for the all-in-one player.

Me, I'm happy with my split CD/DVD setup. Redbook on my Pioneer DV-333 is pretty poopy...

Sep 21, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #21 of 55
Someone just put their Cary CD player on the sale forum for your price range - that would make a great alternative in the used route i bet.

Sep 21, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #22 of 55
Or pick up a mint Universal CD player in the FS forum, and end your format questions
wink.gif
!

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Someone just put their Cary CD player on the sale forum for your price range - that would make a great alternative in the used route i bet.

The Cary 303 in the for sale forum is quite good. Its sound quality is at the same level as the Meridian 508.24 I used to own. These are pretty rare in the used market and is a great value.

Sep 25, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #24 of 55
You want a Naim CD5i. It's £800 in the UK. Not sure how much it is in the US though...

cd5i_angle_lg.JPG

Sep 25, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #25 of 55
If I was looking for a new source,I would consider the the SACDMODS C555ES or the DVD-2900.They both should sound very similar.It all depends on which player you can pick up cheaper.

Sep 25, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #26 of 55
Based on my experience with SIE's modded Denon 2900, I would heartily recommend the Denon, particularly if you plan on getting it modded later.

I second the recommendation for the Cary in the FS forum, although you should know that that player is the 303/100, the older design with an older DAC and other circuits. However, the newew 303/200 goes for around $1500ish, so that is quite a bit more than your budget ATM.

good luck with your search

Sep 25, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #27 of 55
Thanks again for the replies. Although getting a used one sounds good, I am not particularly confident in purchasing an unseen unit. I looked at audiogon for used players around the San Francisco Bay Area so I can see it first, but did not find anything of interest. So a used model is out of the question. I also got rid of modded units from my list -- I am sticking to mainstream factory units for now. I am a newb in this area and don't really know the best op amps, mods, etc. BTW, I do not want to get anything with carousel transports -- its a personal thing. I am just looking for a basic CD player that sounds good and have excellent BUILD QUALITY (I have kids in the house; anything cheap and flimsy will last two months at most). My wife is nice enough to increase my budget to $2K (tax and shipping included).
icon10.gif

So far, I am really tempted in getting a Naim CD5i as somebody posted. If that sounds as good as it looks -- that will be my first real CD source. A dealer in San Francisco has a new one in the box ($1650) and a floor model. They also have the Rega Jupiter ($1700) in stock. San Francisco is only 45 minutes away, so I am really tempted to go there today. Need to exercise self-control. (Listening to my iPod mini or to my Denon DM-31 mini system is getting old.)

Sep 25, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
I had the itch to go to San Francisco (45 minute drive) to listen to and pick-up a Rega planet yesterday, but I exercised self-control as I have not carefully analyzed all of my options yet.

As far as I can remember, San Francisco Stereo has a showroom in Menlo Park or Palo Alto or Redwood City or Sunnyvale. Big help I am
biggrin.gif
, check their website.

Sep 25, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #29 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by recephasan
As far as I can remember, San Francisco Stereo has a showroom in Menlo Park or Palo Alto or Redwood City or Sunnyvale. Big help I am
biggrin.gif
, check their website.

I just called those guys and they have a brand new planet!!! And they are 5 blocks from where I live!!! (They also have a Musical Fidelity 3.2 on sale)

THANK YOU.

Sep 25, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #30 of 55
The Naim CD5i has had unanimously good reviews here in the UK. In a recent group (blind) test it beat the Meridian G07 ($2875) in terms of sound quality... The CD5i was cited as having very good bass, timing, 'listenability':

"big sound, instruments well seperated - quite refined, strong speed and dynamics, a sound with more bass."

One concluded:

"An exceptional player with impressive dynamics, timing acuity and subtlety... Capable of teaching more expensive players a thing or two..."

I should get commission.
icon10.gif

Now that your budget has increased you should also check out the $1,700 Unison Research Unico... Valve hybrid CD player. Smoooothe........

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/u...rch/unico.html

(I bought the amp and cdp recently and find the sound to be amazing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back