Suggestions for $1000 CD Player
Sep 18, 2004 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

PATB

1000+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a CD player in the $1000 price range. I listen to a wide variety of music from classical to rap, although I prefer "country-rock" the most (Counting Crows, Hootie and the Blowfish, Neil Young, Red House Painters). I have an Emmeline SR-71 that I use with my iPod and Shure E3c, but am willling to spend $500 for another amp. I will mostly use the Grado SR-225 with the new CDP.

Oh, and I love listening to details (number one priority) in the music, and good honest bass (secondary priority).

I am presently considering a level 1+ Music Hall CD-25 from Underwood Hifi or a Rega Planet 2000. Any suggestion on which one to get? Are there other good players I should consider?

Also, if I go the Rega Planet route, where is the best place to get them?

Thanks much.

Sep 18, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 55
I'll give a vote for the Sound Odyssey Level 3 Music Hall. For $1090 it will beat the socks off of anything in that price range. The Never Connected PS for the clock does wonders for the sound. I haven't heard the Rega, but the NC smoothed out the sound incredibly.

Or, for $820, there's the Level 2 model plus a little extra for 627 opamps.

They all have a Trichord 4 aftermarket clock which will cannot be beat for detail. You won't get new clock in the Underwood mod.

Sep 18, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 55
If you have a 1000 dollars, howabout spending a little extra and getting the SACDmods C555ES player? Amazing sound quality with SACD to boot. You won't regret it.

Purk

Sep 18, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 55
A $500 amp for use with a Grado SR-225 that'll give you detail and bass? Definitely the Gilmore v2. As for the source, I've heard that some Linn players are good and have always wanted to hear one. There's a Linn Genki on Audiogon for $900 right now.

Sep 18, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
Stryker, how is the build quality of the CD-25?

It's pretty good for the money. Not awesome but its heavy and everything has a solid feel to it. The faceplate is one solid piece of aluminum which adds some weight to it. The transport is the fairly reliable Phillips CDM 12. There's only one transformer which is why I think that the NC power supply is also a nice addition. I think the warrranty is one year. I've never heard any relaibility problems with them and I know there's a lot of them out there.

Sep 18, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 55
A friend just upgraded his sacdmods 555ES to a modified 999ES. He will sell it for $1000.00 plus shipping. You can PM me if you want me to put you in touch.
I've owned or heard most of the players suggested in this thread. The redbook on the sacdmods 555 is better than any mentioned so far. (although they are good) The SACD is out of this world on the player. You can read the reviews and other opinions of this CDP if you do a search here.

Sep 19, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 55
Take it!

EDIT:

BTW PATB, on some albums I can hear the change in sound when the engineer punches in tracks at the beginning of a song. How's that for detail? Only on recent recordings though. Not on the pre mid-nineties stuff. You'll hear everything, warts and all. That's true for the Zapfilter too.

Sep 20, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 55
Now, over at another forum that I frequent, the buzz is Toshiba DVD players. The video is OK, but the audio is really outstanding. I bought an SD-1200 a couple of summers ago, and I liked the audio so well, that when the dog chomped the remote, I bought another one. My daughter got the remote for her movies, and the new DVDP moved into my main system. I then got rid of my Denon and Proton CDP's. No regrets. Bear in mind that I have owned a CDP worth $1500 retail, not to mention the outboard DAC. The hot model just now is the SD-3950/3960, if I remember those model numbers properly, and there are extensive mods on the web for them. I hear that they can be had for sixty bucks! Give one a listen before you part with a major chunk of money...

Laz

Sep 20, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
Sounds great but I am looking for a brand new unit.

Does anybody know how the build quality of the Music Hall Cd-25 compare to the Rega Planet?

I had both (Music hall with opa627s, now I have the rega). Honestly, although the music hall is a bit larger/heavier than the rega, I have to give the nod in sound quality and build to the rega. The feel of the buttons is much more solid on the rega than on the music hall. Also, you just can't forget that amazing rega planet transport. I'm still in awe at how cool the little guy is
smily_headphones1.gif
. The mh's, on the other hand, although solid, the tray still kind of jolted around when retracting. I love my rega.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #14 of 55
Earl,

You are a very lucky man. I should have wait about a month for this player. Well...at least I have 11 months in warranty to left.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back