Suggestions for $1000 CD Player
Oct 10, 2004 at 9:01 AM Post #46 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
PATB.

A caution with a Naim CD5i. Its forward treble and out of proportion bass might not agree with Grado fones. I would suggest ask your dealer about a Naim CD5. ( this is discontinued. but it is better-rounded player than a newer CD5i. imho ) You can also upgrade a CD5 later on by adding on a power supply which makes a dramatic improvement whilst you can't upgrade a CD5i.For sure, listen to a CD5i with your Grado before commit.

With Grado, Rega might not be a bad idea.

Thanks for that info kuma, while I just bought a Rega Planet 2000 I will probably be moving up the ladder further at some point. Naim gear has been intriguing for me because of their purported PRaT charateristics. The CD5i would have been the model I set my sights on but given your comments I would probably set my sites on the CD5 instead.

Oct 10, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #47 of 55
i also think 555es with sacdmods.com stuff is a great deal. I paid 1300 for mine though : /

If it can be had. get it.

I'd also like to try out for 1000 the philips 963 modded or a rega planet for 800ish. I would avoid anything foward sounding, benchmark dac1 could be good option but it does sound a bit foward : /
Also, i think there is a meridian 588 being sold now on this forum (if the seller wants to part it out) If that's available at the right price, go for it!

Oct 10, 2004 at 11:24 AM Post #48 of 55
I have just purchased a Denon 2900 player.So far this machine sounds pleasent but lame,(not much slam) when pluged directly into the wall with an 8 gauge powercord.I am on SACDmods list to have this thing modified.This will replace my slightly harsh and digital Azur 640c which does not mate well with my very revealing Beyer DT860 headphones.I hope the zap filter in the new machine will impress me.

Oct 10, 2004 at 12:22 PM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
i also think 555es with sacdmods.com stuff is a great deal. I paid 1300 for mine though : /

If it can be had. get it.

I'd also like to try out for 1000 the philips 963 modded or a rega planet for 800ish. I would avoid anything foward sounding, benchmark dac1 could be good option but it does sound a bit foward : /
Also, i think there is a meridian 588 being sold now on this forum (if the seller wants to part it out) If that's available at the right price, go for it!

With the 963 sa being sold for as little as $250-275 at closeout the cost with mods is more like $650. The 963 sa sounds nearly as good as the sacdmods 555es but not as refined. The big disappointment to me with the 963sa though is its more a dvd player and the operating controls reflect that. The 555es is so much more enjoyable to operate.

Oct 10, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #50 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
This will replace my slightly harsh and digital Azur 640c which does not mate well with my very revealing Beyer DT860 headphones.I hope the zap filter in the new machine will impress me.

The Zapfilter is as smooth as silk. Along with a clock mod, it will be detailed but smooth, clean, and linear. I do think the bass is a little rolled off but just a touch. Still, its a good trade-off as you will never hear an opamp create the kind of sound its capable of producing.

Oct 10, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #51 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mule
Having ordered the fully modded Music Hall from Sound Odyssey sound-unheard based on the very good reviews of it, and more importantly, lack of bad ones, I'm excited(and a little nervous) about getting it.
plainface.gif
Haven't checked the UPS tracking in five minutes - Dang it, not shipped yet!

Cool. Be sure to post your impressions. With that power supply mod for the clock, the detail, dynamics and soundstage are incredible.

Oct 10, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #52 of 55
Though I'm really happy w/ my Meridian, it usually lives in a dedicated Headphone rig in my living room.
In my speaker based system, I've been using a 963a which, I just fouund out, will be leaving for SACDMods tomorrow! I'll let you guys know how it sounds in a couple of weeks.
CPW

Oct 11, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
In the $1000.00 range, NOTHING will touch an SACD MODS 555ES "Hot Rod". Or the $2000.00 range.........

LISTEN to what they are saying!

JC

I must admit to being a skeptic but now I BELIEVE! This is a jewel and absolutely great bang for the buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back