Suggestions/Advice?
May 19, 2011 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kerouacknew

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new and i'm looking to purchase my first decent pair of headphones.
Just looking for something really good to use with my current old school Marantz receiver and CD player while relaxing on my couch and will also likely use them occasionally with my Ipod.
They don't need to be portible as i will mostly be using them around the house.
I'm not sure exactly what i would classify my music as but i dont listen to any hip hop or dance music. Mostly mellow stuff like Bob Dylan, Counting Crows, John Mayer, Iron & Wine. Hardest thing i would be into would be Radiohead, Kings of Leon and The Chilli Peppers.
My budget is $150 max.
I have been trying to troll around a bit on the threads and read what i can but my computer is fairly slow so it is time comsuming.
So far am considering the denon DN HP700, superlux HD668B, shure SRH440 and the M50 but am open to suggestions.
Looks like a great forum.
Thanks
shawn

May 19, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 11
Hmm, how about Sennheiser's HD595?  It has an open air design(no sound isolation) that I think might just suit your musical preferences.

May 20, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #5 of 11
welcome to head-fi!

AKG K-240S beats the ones you mentioned, I think they're the best you can do for under 150 usd, great allround headphones.
If you like forward presentation, high treble, you could consider spending a bit more and go for a Grado SR225, but try to audition a Grado before buying; they're not for everybody.

Have a nice hunt!

May 20, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 11
Thank you for all the replies.What makes a great forum is when the members don't mind sharing their knowledge
smile.gif

Digital Pride do you think an open would suit my musical tastes?

Winma i see a few 840's for sale used for under 150$, Would these be much better than the 440's?

Sridhar3 i did consider the Grados. But the only ones that were in my price range were the 60i, i believe and i have heard they are not the most confortable.

Proglover i will check out the K240S. Not sure if i have heard much about these yet.

Was originally just going to hook them straight into the receiver but am now considering picking up a lower priced amp, if this makes a difference.

Thanks again for all the help, people.

May 20, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #7 of 11
I think so.  An open design allows for an airier musical presentation which(in my opinion), greatly benefits acoustics.  The 840 has a darker(non-fatiguing) smoother presentation that is more focused on the mid-range and bass while presenting just as much(if not more) musical detail as the 440.  The 440 is brighter(though not overly so), with a presentation that is a bit more energetic, both are excellent options.

May 20, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 11
Since you don't plan to listen to them outside the house, an open pair of headphones would probably suit you better. If you need a pair of headphones for outside the house, you can always just get some cheaper earbuds or a cheaper pair of closed cans. The Shure 440's are a solid pair of headphones, but they have a tendency to have some sharp highs.

May 22, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 11
I am thinking now that it would be better to buy a pair i can use at home but also with the ipod on the road.
So i guess thats mean something closed and not too big. Any suggestions? M50, 440 or 60i maybe??
Thanks for the help

May 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 11
HD-25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back