Suggest a good amp/dac for a pair of AKG Q701's?
May 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ShaggyOtis

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm new here and I have to start with a big question.
After hours and hours of review watching and testing and review reading, I've decided to buy the AKG Q701 headphones. I have a home studio and I'm sure these are great headphones for studio use and monitoring and such, but I'd also like to use these monsters on the go with my iPod. I know from reviews and personal testing that the Q701's definitely need good amplification to be driven to their full potential, and I know that iPods aren't necessarily the best at that. So my question is, what is a proper good portable headphone amp that could drive the Q701s? 
my budget is preferably under $150 but if it's really worth it, I'll go over that. I just feel like I ought to have an amp that is at par with the headphones valued at $400.
So just throw out some suggestions or let me know what you personally use with your Q701s. 

And this is really the first time I'm going all out with a portable listening rig so I don't know much about portable amps so any tips would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

EDIT: I suppose I should put a bit more info.

I listen to a lot of rock and jazz and brass-heavy music. Also classical. I also will watch movies with these headphones.
And when I say portable amp, I mean that it doesn't have to be connected to the computer, and that it is able to be carried around my house. 

I also know that there are a lot of posts about amping the Q701, but the amount of debate in each thread just makes me even more unsure. I.E. someone suggests a Fiio E11 or something, then someone else says "an E11 is a terrible choice for the Q701".  I'd prefer if someone else who owns this headphone could suggest what works for YOU. 

I want to use these headphones primarily around the house/at work with my iPod, but I'd also like to use them when I watch movies or videos on my Macbook, OR obviously, when doing studio work with the computer. Do I need a separate USB/DAC amp to use with the computer? or can I use the same one with the iPod and the computer?

May 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 21
The JDS labs C421 are pretty good AMPs.

May 26, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 21
The JDS seems like a good choice for the price. I do need clarification on one thing though, Can most amps, such as the C421, be used with a computer AND and iPod? Like, can I just have two separate cords to connect it to either the laptop usb, or the iPod? or would I need separate amps?
I'm really new to the whole headphone amp thing because I've never owned a pair of headphones that were really worthy of amping.

May 26, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 21
My Fiio E17 drives my K702s very well.

May 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 21
To connect laptop through USB you need AMPs/DAC and JDS C421 is only AMPs, it can accept analog (3.5mm) input through your computer. So Fiio E17, iBasso D-ZERO, XM6, Pico are DAC/AMPs and they accept USB digital signals through Computer/Laptop.

May 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 21
If you looking at something above average and able to blows you away, I would suggest RSA P51 Mustang + ALO Ipod LOD copper cable. But this combo would set you back at $500 investment.

May 27, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
To connect laptop through USB you need AMPs/DAC and JDS C421 is only AMPs, it can accept analog (3.5mm) input through your computer. So Fiio E17, iBasso D-ZERO, XM6, Pico are DAC/AMPs and they accept USB digital signals through Computer/Laptop.

So do those ones you listed that can work with the computer also work with an iPod?

May 27, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 21
The AMPs/DAC i recommended works with iPods,Computers, Laptops iPads........

May 27, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:
I want to use these headphones primarily around the house/at work with my iPod, but I'd also like to use them when I watch movies or videos on my Macbook, OR obviously, when doing studio work with the computer. Do I need a separate USB/DAC amp to use with the computer? or can I use the same one with the iPod and the computer?

A Macbook is a computer, are you just using "computer" to refer to your Macbook, or do you have a Macbook and a separate windows desk top computer?

May 27, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
best i've ever tried was the lyr 
but its 449
cant really listen to them on any other amp

I saw a lot of guys suggesting the Lyr, and I'm actually willing to get that one since it seems to be pretty great, the only problem is since it's a tube amp it doesn't necessarily seem portable. 
Quote:
A Macbook is a computer, are you just using "computer" to refer to your Macbook, or do you have a Macbook and a separate windows desk top computer?

I have a Macbook Pro, but I've also actually got a Windows desktop in my office. But I'm primarily referring to the Macbook when I say 'computer', as that is the computer with all of my music/software etc.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #13 of 21
I think I might just go for the M-Stage USB, guys. Even though it's not as portable as I'd like, I've heard more good about it paired with the Q701 than anything else. Thanks for all the suggestions though! :)

Jun 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 21
Since you posted this in the portable section. I will guess that that is what you want. 

I had a E17 with my Q701's and they worked very well with them. IT is a popular multi purpose device.

I have an NFB 12.1 and O2 on the way but those aren't portable.(You could argue the term portable with the O2)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back