Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Dec 22, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #136 of 988
Thats for the 4 core ones, so maybe its too big for 2 core! But i'll let the officials answer that.
Yup, that's exactly right! It is too big for the 2 wire.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Dec 22, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #137 of 988
@weexisttocease thanks for the impressions! How is Storm with your Mojo 2?
Pairing with Mojo 2 is quite good. Crystal clear, once again with great resolution and dynamics. I listened to Devonian: Nascent by The Ocean. Imaging and separation was astounding. It handles vocals and instruments with such finesse. Bass is deep, fast and clean. Sparkle treble but never peaky and with great extension. Pace, rythm and timing is excellent. I would say the STORM is like a chameleon, it adapts to any source. What a IEM!

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #138 of 988
Pairing with Mojo 2 is quite good. Crystal clear, once again with great resolution and dynamics. I listened to Devonian: Nascent by The Ocean. Imaging and separation was astounding. It handles vocals and instruments with such finesse. Bass is deep, fast and clean. Sparkle treble but never peaky and with great extension. Pace, rythm and timing is excellent. I would say the STORM is like a chameleon, it adapts to any source. What a IEM!
This is music to my ears! Will definitely consider getting a Mojo 2 as a dac/amp for portable use.

Dec 23, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #139 of 988
This is music to my ears! Will definitely consider getting a Mojo 2 as a dac/amp for portable use.
The Mojo2 is a excellent device. It's light and compact. I mostly use it with Poly and so far it pairs beautifully with most of my IEMs. Also it has some useful feature like EQ and Crossfeed to fine-tune the sound.

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #140 of 988
The Mojo2 is an excellent device. It's light and compact. I mostly use it with Poly and so far it pairs beautifully with most of my IEMs. Also it has some useful feature like EQ and Crossfeed to fine-tune the sound.
I had a Mojo+Poly combo. Main use case was as a Roon endpoint (much like the Hugo 2 and 2Go I had); unfortunately both Poly and 2Go didn’t perform reliably on my network (two different routers too!);

Ended up giving up and selling both combos, not sure if Chord have been able to improver compatibility in the meantime.
At any rate, both streamers only support 2.4gHz networks, which is a big oversight in my opinion (given the far superior speeds I get on 5 gHz networks)

Dec 23, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #141 of 988
I had a Mojo+Poly combo. Main use case was as a Roon endpoint (much like the Hugo 2 and 2Go I had); unfortunately both Poly and 2Go didn’t perform reliably on my network (two different routers too!);

Ended up giving up and selling both combos, not sure if Chord have been able to improver compatibility in the meantime.
At any rate, both streamers only support 2.4gHz networks, which is a big oversight in my opinion (given the far superior speeds I get on 5 gHz networks)
2Go has become stable for me over future updates. I have no problems with it anymore.

But boy did it used to be frustrating.

Dec 23, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #144 of 988
2Go has become stable for me over future updates. I have no problems with it anymore.

But boy did it used to be frustrating.
Went to my local hifi store to buy a Mojo 2 and Poly, came home with a Hugo 2 and a 2Go.
Oh well, it is the season of giving, should be one fine source for Storm when it arrives in January,

Dec 23, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #146 of 988
Went to my local hifi store to buy a Mojo 2 and Poly, came home with a Hugo 2 and a 2Go.
Oh well, it is the season of giving, should be one fine source for Storm when it arrives in January,
If you are going that route:

The Cayin C9 combo with the Hugo 2 really works well for home use. That combo wasn't just hype, but...it only works for the Hugo2. I haven't found many other gear that fits the sound of/chains well with the Cayin C9.

The combo sounds great for the Utopia. Haven't tried it on the Storm yet; will try it after this after being reminded of it.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #147 of 988
Dec 23, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #148 of 988
If you are going that route:

The Cayin C9 combo with the Hugo 2 really works well for home use. That combo wasn't just hype, but...it only works for the Hugo2. I haven't found many other gear that fits the sound of/chains well with the Cayin C9.

The combo sounds great for the Utopia. Haven't tried it on the Storm yet; will try it after this after being reminded of it.
I have been considering getting a c9 for a while but never bought one. The Hugo 2 is great but I wouldn't own one without the convenience afforded by the 2Go.

Roon endpoints for the win!

Dec 23, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #149 of 988
I'll take a basic version of storm in clear shells with plain Jane black faceplate and no accessories for 2k. You can cutout all the superflous luxury stuff for me, I already have cases and cables. Call it Storm (poors version) J/k, not really though. : P
and i like one for free, but i guess we cant always get what we want.

Dec 24, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #150 of 988
yes , i like to purchase the iem without cable and accessories for 3k usd . is there possible ?
Highly unlikely since storm is a product of both subtonic and nightjar acoustics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back