Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Jan 2, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #166 of 1,003
When can we expect the regular version to be released.
I believe once the Launch Edition is sold out, the team will move onto the regular version.
Yes, @LoneFurrow is right. We currently have our hands full with the fulfilment of the Launch Edition as we prioritise customer orders. The Regular Edition will be ready likely somewhere in Q2 2023.

Out of curiosity, will the storm IEM ever go on tour?
Yes, we are looking to tour the Regular Edition STORMs when they are available! They will have the same sound.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jan 29, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #167 of 1,003
STORM-35.jpg

Check out our latest blog post detailing why each pair of STORM's faceplates takes 2 whole days to craft. We go in-depth into what enamel is and its production process.
Behind the STORM: Hand-Enameled Faceplates (click here!)

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jan 29, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #168 of 1,003
Jan 29, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #169 of 1,003
Jan 31, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #170 of 1,003
Yes, @LoneFurrow is right. We currently have our hands full with the fulfilment of the Launch Edition as we prioritise customer orders. The Regular Edition will be ready likely somewhere in Q2 2023.

Yes, we are looking to tour the Regular Edition STORMs when they are available! They will have the same sound.

STORM-35.jpg
Check out our latest blog post detailing why each pair of STORM's faceplates takes 2 whole days to craft. We go in-depth into what enamel is and its production process.
Behind the STORM: Hand-Enameled Faceplates (click here!)

Lovely stuff guys. Thank you!

Feb 3, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #172 of 1,003
Any lucky owners have theirs arrive today...? :sunglasses:

Feb 3, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #173 of 1,003
Open for Pre-Orders!

A special thank you to Head-Fi - a site that is monumental for our team's audio journey. We are so happy to be engaging the audio community on this fantastic website.

We owe the community a big one for the outpouring of support throughout our R&D phase and in our launch of our first IEM in our Embody Series: STORM.

The Embody series is our flagship lineup that breathes new life into the different sound signatures of IEMs - be it Reference, Warm or V-shaped - we will pursue the most refined Subtonic take in each tonal genre. Every Embody IEM is designed to produce excellent sound that stands the test of time, providing you with countless hours of musical enjoyment.

We’ve been away at work for the past 2.5 years, experimenting and innovating new technology to push the boundaries of IEM sound. Using what we already knew about sound was not enough, as it would produce yet another reference monitor that sounds dead and lifeless.

The STORM embodies the fruits of our labour through constant experiments and countless failures.
Click here to learn more about the STORM.

Every STORM is built by the meticulous hands and eyes of Symphonium Audio. We would like to extend special thanks to them as the STORM is incredibly difficult to build; from the passive crossover components to the hand-enameling process of the faceplates.

Pre-order Information:
The Launch Edition of the STORM is limited only to the first 50 orders. The Launch Edition features a limited run of the hand-enamelled golden cloud faceplates and the hand-stitched leather pouch.

Please note that STORM has an estimated lead time up to 6 months due to demand and the meticulous build process. Orders will be fulfilled in batches; customers that order earlier will take delivery sooner. The first batch of orders will be fulfilled before February.

Pre-order launch price: 5200 USD

Keep your eye on this thread, website or on our social media!
Instagram
Facebook

Thank you & happy listening from the Subtonic team.
Open for Pre-Orders!

A special thank you to Head-Fi - a site that is monumental for our team's audio journey. We are so happy to be engaging the audio community on this fantastic website.

We owe the community a big one for the outpouring of support throughout our R&D phase and in our launch of our first IEM in our Embody Series: STORM.

The Embody series is our flagship lineup that breathes new life into the different sound signatures of IEMs - be it Reference, Warm or V-shaped - we will pursue the most refined Subtonic take in each tonal genre. Every Embody IEM is designed to produce excellent sound that stands the test of time, providing you with countless hours of musical enjoyment.

We’ve been away at work for the past 2.5 years, experimenting and innovating new technology to push the boundaries of IEM sound. Using what we already knew about sound was not enough, as it would produce yet another reference monitor that sounds dead and lifeless.

The STORM embodies the fruits of our labour through constant experiments and countless failures.
Click here to learn more about the STORM.

Every STORM is built by the meticulous hands and eyes of Symphonium Audio. We would like to extend special thanks to them as the STORM is incredibly difficult to build; from the passive crossover components to the hand-enameling process of the faceplates.

Pre-order Information:
The Launch Edition of the STORM is limited only to the first 50 orders. The Launch Edition features a limited run of the hand-enamelled golden cloud faceplates and the hand-stitched leather pouch.

Please note that STORM has an estimated lead time up to 6 months due to demand and the meticulous build process. Orders will be fulfilled in batches; customers that order earlier will take delivery sooner. The first batch of orders will be fulfilled before February.

Pre-order launch price: 5200 USD

Keep your eye on this thread, website or on our social media!
Instagram
Facebook

Thank you & happy listening from the Subtonic team.
Hi Toranku,
After your 50 limited edition launch units are sold out, will you make another set of non-limited edition units?

Feb 3, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #174 of 1,003
Hi Toranku,
After your 50 limited edition launch units are sold out, will you make another set of non-limited edition units?
Hey there! Yes, the Regular editions will be available, but only after we have fulfilled all 50 launch orders.

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #175 of 1,003
Storm review
Context: My wife and I were planning to vacation in Singapore and I’d thought I’d take the opportunity to visit Subtonic and try out Storm.

Meeting some of the folks from Subtonic and Nightjar has been an absolute pleasure, they gave me some time with Storm and below are my impressions.

tl;dr: I purchased a Storm (Ill have it when Subtonic and Symphonium build up the next batch)

Back Story:

My journey through the iem world started mainly with the Crinacle x Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk collab, after that I moved onto the Moondrop Variations, and from there the Symphonium Audio Helios. I’ve demo’ed other iems either through meets and canjams, nothing really impressed me as a direct upgrade from Helios so Helios ended up being one of my longest owned iems. When I caught wind that Subtonic was working on an iem, I was intrigued. I quite enjoyed the Helios, for the price point the performance of Helios mainly left me satisfied; excellent treble reproduction, staging that has depth, resolving, and the ability to have more and more bass impact and overall dynamics by using better source gear.

Here Comes The Storm:

Tonality Review:

Bass:

Amazing impact and texture. Doesn’t over step itself one bit, it hits you hard (you feel that impact of air) when your music demands it. Appropriate bass quantity here as well, if you’re aiming for something with the level of the Empire Ears Evo, that level of bass is fatter by nature but more rounded than the bass coming out of Storm. I’m impressed with how clean the bass delivery is. Leaves me with a smile every time.

Midrange:

Vocals feel front and center without feeling like you’re being yelled at. The quantity of mids are just right. Vocals and strings are extremely clear.

Treble:
This area is where it can be make or break. The lower treble edges on the line of sibilance, if your track isn’t mixed well you’ll hear it and treble can sound unpleasant. Ultimately this can be perfected with the correct source pairing. Otherwise even without ideal source pairings, this is a small issue that I can only hold against Storm (I had to think really hard for this fault). Other than that, the treble extension goes full range and just sounds right, the air is reproduced next level you can hear it and feel it. Where I feel the Elysian Labs Annihilator shoves it’s air reproducibility in front of your face, Storm let’s you acknowledge that it is there as not distract you from any shortcomings or to mask any region where the Frequency Response is lacking.

In closing, the frequency response follows what I perceive to be neutral; everything is balanced incredibly well. Whereas one may think that neutral is bland, storm is not neutral because it is bland, it is neutral because it strikes a balance they many other iems have a hard time accomplishing. I’d attribute this to the difference between eating a 16 oz steak vs a multi course omakase.

Technical (Prowess) Performance:

Macrodynamics (the perception between different levels of loud sounds) : Top tier, there is zero compression in contrast here, it is so amazingly done here that even when I am distracted from the music, Storm pulls me back in.

Microdynamics (the perception between different levels of low sounds): I’ll also refer to this as resolution or resolving ability. Either way, Storm has zero problem revealing the finer textures in let’s say a drum, a cymbal, or a voice. Every sound has so much texture and air associated with it that I’m just impressed anytime.
Imaging: Storm reproduces with huge images, when a track wants a guitar or a vocalist or a drum to sound big, it’s a huge image of it. The perception of audio that feels enveloping, is something I’d normally attribute to speaker listening is done here as well.

Soundstage: one thing that no other iem has done for me, that Storm does without effort, is throwing the the stage in front of you. It really feels like a live recording. One of the rare moments where I perceive sound to be out of my head and with iems no less.

Source Transparency (How I perceive sound to change between sources) Storm is somewhat source picky. Where I had a love affair with the Hiby RS8 at SoCal Canjam when I paired it with Helios, I did not feel that same love here. The RS8 lacked the ability to drive Storm with the level of impact that I wanted and the treble is too forward as well. Where I found Storm to shine was surprisingly with the Fiio Q7, one of the Subtonic members suggested that I’d try it and I was l left surprised. The Q7’s control of Storm is where I want it to be, impactful and big staging. I look forward to trying Storm more with the gear that I have at home.

Summary:
Ultimately I found that Storm is near perfect for my needs. It does everything well that I found no iems get even close. Where I found other TOTL flagship iems to be kinda better than Helios in some aspect, I found Storm to be completely better than Helios in every regard. I am glad that I have the means to afford the Subtonic Storm and that only leaves me to explore other sources instead of iems. I’d recommend anyone to give Storm a listen (or two) if possible.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #176 of 1,003
Storm review
Context: My wife and I were planning to vacation in Singapore and I’d thought I’d take the opportunity to visit Subtonic and try out Storm.

Meeting some of the folks from Subtonic and Nightjar has been an absolute pleasure, they gave me some time with Storm and below are my impressions.

tl;dr: I purchased a Storm (Ill have it when Subtonic and Symphonium build up the next batch)

Back Story:

My journey through the iem world started mainly with the Crinacle x Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk collab, after that I moved onto the Moondrop Variations, and from there the Symphonium Audio Helios. I’ve demo’ed other iems either through meets and canjams, nothing really impressed me as a direct upgrade from Helios so Helios ended up being one of my longest owned iems. When I caught wind that Subtonic was working on an iem, I was intrigued. I quite enjoyed the Helios, for the price point the performance of Helios mainly left me satisfied; excellent treble reproduction, staging that has depth, resolving, and the ability to have more and more bass impact and overall dynamics by using better source gear.

Here Comes The Storm:

Tonality Review:

Bass:

Amazing impact and texture. Doesn’t over step itself one bit, it hits you hard (you feel that impact of air) when your music demands it. Appropriate bass quantity here as well, if you’re aiming for something with the level of the Empire Ears Evo, that level of bass is fatter by nature but more rounded than the bass coming out of Storm. I’m impressed with how clean the bass delivery is. Leaves me with a smile every time.

Midrange:

Vocals feel front and center without feeling like you’re being yelled at. The quantity of mids are just right. Vocals and strings are extremely clear.

Treble:
This area is where it can be make or break. The lower treble edges on the line of sibilance, if your track isn’t mixed well you’ll hear it and treble can sound unpleasant. Ultimately this can be perfected with the correct source pairing. Otherwise even without ideal source pairings, this is a small issue that I can only hold against Storm (I had to think really hard for this fault). Other than that, the treble extension goes full range and just sounds right, the air is reproduced next level you can hear it and feel it. Where I feel the Elysian Labs Annihilator shoves it’s air reproducibility in front of your face, Storm let’s you acknowledge that it is there as not distract you from any shortcomings or to mask any region where the Frequency Response is lacking.

In closing, the frequency response follows what I perceive to be neutral; everything is balanced incredibly well. Whereas one may think that neutral is bland, storm is not neutral because it is bland, it is neutral because it strikes a balance they many other iems have a hard time accomplishing. I’d attribute this to the difference between eating a 16 oz steak vs a multi course omakase.

Macrodynamics (the perception between different levels of loud sounds) : Top tier, there is zero compression in contrast here, it is so amazingly done here that even when I am distracted from the music, Storm pulls me back in.

Microdynamics (the perception between different levels of low sounds): I’ll also refer to this as resolution or resolving ability. Either way, Storm has zero problem revealing the finer textures in let’s say a drum, a cymbal, or a voice. Every sound has so much texture and air associated with it that I’m just impressed anytime.
Imaging: Storm reproduces with huge images, when a track wants a guitar or a vocalist or a drum to sound big, it’s a huge image of it. The perception of audio that feels enveloping, is something I’d normally attribute to speaker listening is done here as well.

Soundstage: one thing that no other iem has done for me, that Storm does without effort, is throwing the the stage in front of you. It really feels like a live recording. One of the rare moments where I perceive sound to be out of my head and with iems no less.

Source Transparency (How I perceive sound to change between sources) Storm is somewhat source picky. Where I had a love affair with the Hiby RS8 at SoCal Canjam when I paired it with Helios, I did not feel that same love here. The RS8 lacked the ability to drive Storm with the level of impact that I wanted and the treble is too forward as well. Where I found Storm to shine was surprisingly with the Fiio Q7, one of the Subtonic members suggested that I’d try it and I was l left surprised. The Q7’s control of Storm is where I want it to be, impactful and big staging. I look forward to trying Storm more with the gear that I have at home.

Summary:
Ultimately I found that Storm is near perfect for my needs. It does everything well that I found no iems get even close. Where I found other TOTL flagship iems to be kinda better than Helios in some aspect, I found Storm to be completely better than Helios in every regard. I am glad that I have the means to afford the Subtonic Storm and that only leaves me to explore other sources instead of iems. I’d recommend anyone to give Storm a listen (or two) if possible.
how about dongle ? can it drive it on full capability? such as Questyle M15 or iFi GO bar ?

Feb 7, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #177 of 1,003
Storm review

Back Story:

Here Comes The Storm:

Tonality Review:

Bass:

Midrange:

Treble:

Summary:
Nice write up. It does sound like it can be quite source picky. It'll be good to see what pairings people end up liking / disliking over the next few months.

Feb 7, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #178 of 1,003
Storm review

Back Story:

Here Comes The Storm:

Tonality Review:

Bass:

Midrange:

Treble:

Summary:
Sounds like a perfect set of IEMs, what sources do you think will fit best with storm?

Feb 7, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #179 of 1,003
Nice write up. It does sound like it can be quite source picky. It'll be good to see what pairings people end up liking / disliking over the next few months.
Thank you! For me, the fun has only just begun. Time will tell for sure.

Feb 7, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #180 of 1,003
Sounds like a perfect set of IEMs, what sources do you think will fit best with storm?
No idea what the best pairing will be. My current dap is the hiby rs6, which is fine I liked storm better with the Q7 over the rs6. It’ll ultimately come down to subjective preference, which will be fun to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back