Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Dec 21, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #121 of 1,003
I totally see where this whole debate on IEM prices being sky high comes from.

However, making such long posts on a thread dedicated to a product that doesn't interest you by a new brand is a little unfair.

Why not go and post on the threads of Unique Melody's 13th, 14th and 15th release of the year in this price bracket?

I am sure that the people on here are around as they are excited by what Subtonic Audio have delivered here, myself included.

Dec 21, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #122 of 1,003
I think we're lucky to have access to excellent audio gear across all price ranges. Those of us who've been around audio for many years probably recall the limited IEM choice 20 years ago, with the likes of Shure, Westone and Etymotic being just about the only options. There are now so many strong IEMs around (and below) the $200 USD mark, such as SeeAudio Yume II and the 7Hz Timeless, we're spoilt for choice. The latest higher end releases, such as Symphonium Meteor, ThieAudio Oracle II and Prestige, offer stellar sound quality and strong overall packages. Things will only improve, I believe.

TOTL IEMs such as STORM, Traillii, Jewel, XE6, e.t.c will always have a tiny market. I'd like to think those buying such high-end products are fully aware they will lose money on resale, but everyone has their own reasons and motives for such purchases.

With STORM specifically, Subtonic appears to have a very clear vision for this product as their TOTL reference IEM. What they've achieved with a very small team and with some great partnerships, from a standing start, deserves huge applause imho. If you look across industries, you'll see many cases of development filtering down through the ranks of product offerings. Those who have chosen to invest in high-end IEMs are (possibly?) helping fund the development of technologies that become more available to everyone.

I hope many have chance to experience STORM and other high-end IEMs.

Dec 21, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #123 of 1,003
I totally see where this whole debate on IEM prices being sky high comes from.

However, making such long posts on a thread dedicated to a product that doesn't interest you by a new brand is a little unfair.

Why not go and post on the threads of Unique Melody's 13th, 14th and 15th release of the year in this price bracket?

I am sure that the people on here are around as they are excited by what Subtonic Audio have delivered here, myself included.
Yeah, I totally understand what you write - and it is true that this can be applied to many companies, I am sorry for that! But in fact I have written something similar in the Unique Melody and also Oriolus thread. Don`t worry, I am not planning to take over the whole thread with this topic and I wish Subtonic all the best. Just I feel it should be ok to discuss this matter in a respectful way, because if a company decides to take the path of those prices, they should also expect this type of reaction by some folks like me :see_no_evil: And me personally, I feel it is important for our community, that there are also critical voices concerning this development…
Of course I don’t expect that everyone agrees.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #124 of 1,003
Yes, back to topic and I find the hand crafted faceplates of the launch edition look extremely stunning. In fact last night when I was browsing head-fi on my iPad on the couch my wife looked over my shoulder (she's totally not interested in my audio hobby) and said: Wow these look awesome!

I wish I had the chance to listen to them, maybe there will be the opportunity at the high-end audio fair in Munich next spring?

Dec 21, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #125 of 1,003
Yes, back to topic and I find the hand crafted faceplates of the launch edition look extremely stunning. In fact last night when I was browsing head-fi on my iPad on the couch my wife looked over my shoulder (she's totally not interested in my audio hobby) and said: Wow these look awesome!

I wish I had the chance to listen to them, maybe there will be the opportunity at the high-end audio fair in Munich next spring?
They look stunning!
PXL_20221221_184932089.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20221221_184908459.PORTRAIT.jpg

Dec 21, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #126 of 1,003
They do but those 2 pin connectors stick out like a sore thumb. Even the same colour as the Mira splitter would've been a win. (IMO). Regardless, I probably won't care in the slightest once they're in my ears... :beerchug:

Looking forward to some source feedback once you guys have had enough time to play about with them!

Dec 21, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #128 of 1,003
They do but those 2 pin connectors stick out like a sore thumb. Even the same colour as the Mira splitter would've been a win. (IMO). Regardless, I probably won't care in the slightest once they're in my ears... :beerchug:

Looking forward to some source feedback once you guys have had enough time to play about with them!
ah interesting, it looks like the mira cables with furutech plugs have a different splitter (from the nightjar instagram page) from the mira cable with the OE audio plug
1671655497367.png

Dec 21, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #129 of 1,003
ah interesting, it looks like the mira cables with furutech plugs have a different splitter (from the nightjar instagram page) from the mira cable with the OE audio plug
1671655497367.png
Thats for the 4 core ones, so maybe its too big for 2 core! But i'll let the officials answer that.

Dec 21, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #130 of 1,003
First impressions:

- Stunning shells with extraordinary craftsmanship, it puts other TOTL to shame;
- Excellent cable, light, tangle free and with optional terminations;
- Perfect fit for me;
- Top tier resolution and dynamics;
- Pleasant tonality;
- Exceptional bass, full, punchy, clean, it's just amazing, especially since there's no DD;
- Imaging, layering and details are mesmerizing;
- Reference sound but with loads of musicality, it's hard to explain it, but the level of immersion into the music is great;
- Midrange is natural, not warm or analytical, it just gives the right amount of energy with excellent vocals and instruments separation;
- Treble has lots of energy but not fatiguing at all and with great extension; the EST tuning is one the best I've heard;
- Staging is expansive and soundstage very deep;
- A extremely balanced IEM with basically no coloration, so it gives you the chance to use it with different sources to tune the sound; also it might work with any music genre which is really nice;
- The STORM is hard to drive, they need power; I have a feeling they will sound even better with a good amp like the A100TB from Aroma or even tubes (can't wait to get the Chimera GT replacement unit);
- I've waited almost 5 months to get it and it's really a expensive set but it could well be one of the best TOTL monitors if not best available today. Highly recommended.

Dec 21, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #131 of 1,003
First impressions:

- Stunning shells with extraordinary craftsmanship, it puts other TOTL to shame;
- Excellent cable, light, tangle free and with optional terminations;
- Perfect fit for me;
- Top tier resolution and dynamics;
- Pleasant tonality;
- Exceptional bass, full, punchy, clean, it's just amazing, especially since there's no DD;
- Imaging, layering and details are mesmerizing;
- Reference sound but with loads of musicality, it's hard to explain it, but the level of immersion into the music is great;
- Midrange is natural, not warm or analytical, it just gives the right amount of energy with excellent vocals and instruments separation;
- Treble has lots of energy but not fatiguing at all and with great extension; the EST tuning is one the best I've heard;
- Staging is expansive and soundstage very deep;
- A extremely balanced IEM with basically no coloration, so it gives you the chance to use it with different sources to tune the sound; also it might work with any music genre which is really nice;
- The STORM is hard to drive, they need power; I have a feeling they will sound even better with a good amp like the A100TB from Aroma or even tubes (can't wait to get the Chimera GT replacement unit);
- I've waited almost 5 months to get it and it's really a expensive set but it could well be one of the best TOTL monitors if not best available today. Highly recommended.
About the bass: what about the mid-bass/sub-bass ratio?

Thanks

Dec 22, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #132 of 1,003
About the bass: what about the mid-bass/sub-bass ratio?

Thanks
Sub-bass is deep with plenty of it and mid-bass is punchy. The most impressive is the quality of the bass, it is very fast and clean and when it's called by the music it can rumble.

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #133 of 1,003
@weexisttocease thanks for the impressions! How is Storm with your Mojo 2?

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #134 of 1,003
Dec 22, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #135 of 1,003
Well I've had my Storm glued into my ears for the past few days and it's time to put some thoughts down!

Lets start on aesthetics - I have to say I was a little unsure how the hand enameling would turn out. Turns out my worries were entirely unwarranted. The shells are fantastic! The PVD finish is excellent and the plates are simply gorgeous. I ordered Storm with the Mira 2 wire - for me ergo trumps any sonic gain from the 4 and I am happy with that decision. A few negative comments around the Mira hardware are probably warranted. It does feel out of place vs the shells. It's not something I'm overly worried about, but it does need to be mentioned.

Ok, on to sound! I agree with everything that @weexisttocease has said (he's also not exaggerating about the bass)! So let me try and focus on a few other things. Storm really doesn't care what type of music you throw at it. It literally wants to just reproduce the recording as best as possible. I think part of what we have to get across is reference doesn't mean there isn't musicality, nor that it is boring. There simply isn't colourisation added in. Once you listen to enough variety with Storm, the feat of this achievement kicks in. You need that combination of detail and resolution with some exceptional tuning for that to come off. Tuning also straddles a fine line - I always think 'oooh if it had slightly less mid bass the track would fall over' or 'treble sits in just the right before going siblant here'. It remains cohesive and thankfully tuning has never left me wanting.

Storm will also make you question Staging. Because honestly it's a red herring. What is important is the layering, imaging and separation and how that becomes a cohesive experience. If the track technicalities demands space, Storm gives you space. If it's simply a solo vocalist sitting in the middle, you'll get that rendered how it should. It is goosebump inducing at times, and again doesn't mean there isn't enough warmth or musicality in the set.

The other thing I'll mention is how impressive it is to find a set of iems that can handle vocals and instruments, separate them expertly and image them fantastically. Usually it's one or the other. I never realised how good Storm was for vocals in my demo back in canjam London and honestly it blows me away.

So that's it for now I think, it's taken some time but this is the best IEM I've listened to and I've heard a lot of the TOTL IEMs out there. I doubt I'll be getting bored of Storm any time soon! I will probably experiment with Sources - a warmer source could be a fun way of injecting colour and seeing how that goes!

Oh lastly - a shout out to Elise Audio/ @SoundJedi for great service and getting Storm to me :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back