Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Dec 20, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #106 of 1,003
Out of curiosity is the faceplate exclusive to the launch edition, or will all Storm IEMs come with this faceplate?

Thank you for your question!

The regular editions will be visually different, and with no hand-enameling. We will adopt a 2 layer metal approach instead, where the base layer is black metal and the top layer has golden swirls to form clouds.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Dec 20, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #108 of 1,003
Dec 20, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #109 of 1,003
May We know the actual retail price

Dec 20, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #110 of 1,003
Dec 21, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #112 of 1,003
May We know the actual retail price
It`s actually 5200 Dollar. 5200 Dollar. Sorry to everyone, but I have to make this statement. I am sure the people behind this earphone are passionate and nice and the earphone itself might look and sound great and has a complex development process - but I STILL think there currently is something totally wrong with our hobby since those (excuse me - absolutely mad) prices started to become „normal“ and people don`t do themselves a favor to accept them („it`s actually not as bad as other companies flagship prices“…). :sweat: Again, please forgive me this statement, it`s not meant personally towards anybody and just my opinion.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #113 of 1,003
It`s actually 5200 Dollar. 5200 Dollar. 5200 Dollar. Sorry to everyone, but I have to do this statement. I am sure the people behind this earphone are passionate and nice and the earphone itself might look and sound great and has a complex development process - but I STILL think there currently is something totally wrong with our hobby since those (excuse me - absolutely mad) prices started to become „normal“ and people don`t do themselves a favor to accept them („it`s actually not as bad as other companies flagship prices“….come on!). :sweat: Again, please forgive me this statement, it`s not meant personally towards anybody and just my opinion.
No issues! We totally get your viewpoint. We recognise that the STORM is not accessible for everyone. The large price tag is by no means affordable.

We created STORM to sit at the pinnacle of reference monitors — focusing on not just sound but also in its aesthetics and accessories, targeted to be a complete experience at all fronts. Hand-enameled faceplates are a true work of art done by Symphonium, as with Nightjar's fantastic Mira cable, along with an absolutely premium leather hand-stitched leather pouch that patinates beautifully, if I can toot our own horn.

The STORM is just the beginning; we will launch much more accessible IEMs under a separate lineup (still manufactured by Symphonium!). Do keep a lookout for that! :)

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Dec 21, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #114 of 1,003
It's here.
PXL_20221221_155708619.PORTRAIT.jpg

Dec 21, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #115 of 1,003
No issues! We totally get your viewpoint. We recognise that the STORM is not accessible for everyone. The large price tag is by no means affordable.

We created STORM to sit at the pinnacle of reference monitors — focusing on not just sound but also in its aesthetics and accessories, targeted to be a complete experience at all fronts. Hand-enameled faceplates are a true work of art done by Symphonium, as with Nightjar's fantastic Mira cable, along with an absolutely premium leather hand-stitched leather pouch that patinates beautifully, if I can toot our own horn.

The STORM is just the beginning; we will launch much more accessible IEMs under a separate lineup (still manufactured by Symphonium!). Do keep a lookout for that! :)
Yeah, I get your point, too, thanks for your comment . I understand what you write and am looking forward to your more accessible products! :thumbsup:Though I still think: “Pinnacle of sound, focussing on aesthetics and craft“ - we HAVE been there before. Many times, year by year. But in my opinion the processes to get there, including to improve what has been developed already, are not equivalent to HOW much more expensive TOTL earphones are now compared to then. Earphones are far less complex than other products that don`t see such crazy price developments over time. In addidion, cable based earphones have not changed that much, even don`t offer much new functionality. There is no way that general/average costs for product development etc have changed proportional to recent TOTL prices. We are talking about 400% - 800% more in a few years, right?! In my opinion earphones can only cost 5000 Dollars up now because people in this community have gotten used to and for whatever reason accepted it, step by step. A lot is about clever marketing.
You would not have been able to properly sell a 5000 Dollar earphone 10 years ago, even not a super well crafted and sounding one. I have written it in another thread, but a good example are the newest price developments of Oriolus earphones. The Traillii was a kind of „ice breaker“. Now Oriolus starts to sell exactly the same earphones as 5 years ago (other phones of their lineup) for three times more. The same already very expensive earphones. I know there is no direct connection to your product - and, again, I have no doubt your product is good (or at least developed with heart)!
Still it shows a tendency in our hobby that somehow got out of control. The relation between of what you pay and what you get is completely out of balance, in comparison to other technology products that also evolve…in my opinion.
Yes, I know, I don`t need to buy it if I don`t like it. That is true. Still I would like to raise my voice that I don`t feel comfortable about the fact that my beloved hobby (for more than 20 years) more and more turns into a luxury goods playground and TOTL now is only accessible for the super rich. It definitely wasn`t like that before, even not in relation. I would have never imagined that the earphone market once becomes similar to the market for luxury watches. It seems that prices will still get higher and higher from now on.:triportsad:

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #117 of 1,003
Nice Christmas present....🌲Now it's time to enjoy Sound
Indeed. Probably to busy to try it on the next days but I'll give my impressions as soon as possible.

Dec 21, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #119 of 1,003
I would have never imagined that the earphone market once would go through similar developments as the market for luxury watches. And it seems that prices will still get higher and higher.

...and as you stated correctly, the IEM resale-value will go south as soon as you take it out of the box, will stay there and go further down by time while the luxury watch will dip at first but then increase in resale-value over time if you buy one of the famous models that proved the test of time for many decades already.

But I think there is hope as more and more brands produce stunning IEMs at low prices in the hundreds $ which get better and better now. They leave out the luxury stuff like fine cables and faceplates and just focus on great sound. I think 1-3 years from now we will see TOTL sound in affordable packages and things get normal again. The wealthy can still buy luxury stuff with 2000$ cables etc. and why not? They can and I am happy for them. I would if I was so rich but I good mouths to feed haha.

Dec 21, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #120 of 1,003
...and as you stated correctly, the IEM resale-value will go south as soon as you take it out of the box, will stay there and go further down by time while the luxury watch will dip at first but then increase in resale-value over time if you buy one of the famous models that proved the test of time for many decades already.

But I think there is hope as more and more brands produce stunning IEMs at low prices in the hundreds $ which get better and better now. They leave out the luxury stuff like fine cables and faceplates and just focus on great sound. I think 1-3 years from now we will see TOTL sound in affordable packages and things get normal again. The wealthy can still buy luxury stuff with 2000$ cables etc. and why not? They can and I am happy for them. I would if I was so rich but I good mouths to feed haha.
Well written! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back