Sub $50 headphones... Porta Pros vs. RP-HTX7's vs DHP-II's vs UR-55's vs. ???
Nov 11, 2010 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

bassballboy

New Head-Fier
I read over the stick up top, and those are the three that stood out, but I also know there are a bunch of headphones I don't know about.

I listen to hip hip / pop / modern rock (three day's grace, disturbed, shinedown etc).  I want something comfortable first and foremost, but I also like bass a lot.

I'll be just plugging the headphones into my laptop or zune, so no amp.

Please help
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 25
I'm very happy with my PortaPros, though I've never listened to any of the other mentioned headphones. If you don't mind IEMs, the Etymotic ER6i can sometimes be found for $50 on Amazon.

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 25
I think I should add to your options and make your decision that much harder, by suggesting the Jays V-Jays which to me sound better than my Porta Pros. 

The ones you are looking for are all relatively different... considering some are open and some are closed. The V-Jays are impressively bassy yet still pretty balanced though. 

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 25

Quote:
I think I should add to your options and make your decision that much harder, by suggesting the Jays V-Jays which to me sound better than my Porta Pros. 

The ones you are looking for are all relatively different... considering some are open and some are closed. The V-Jays are impressively bassy yet still pretty balanced though. 

Those look really nice too, only problem is they're out of my price-range (~$70).  

And thinking about it, I'd prefer the headphones to be somewhat closed (as in so I don't annoy anyone around me say on an airplane), but sound quality and rich, strong bass overrule that quality if I have to choose.

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 25

Quote:
i really like the portapros for all around listening, their sound signature really fits my taste. i listen to a lot of metal, some electronic, classical, a lot of stuff. if you really really love bass though, go for the sony xb500. these are bass monsters, although their mids and highs aren't as good as the portapros imo. but if bass is what you're looking for, i'd recommend the xb500.

I really love bass, but I'm a little concerned about the xb500's being muddy maybe, especially in comparison with everything else.  That and they look pretty goofy :)

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 25

Quote:
If there weren't enough options already, going to throw the Sony XB500's out there as well, sound down my alley maybe too and ~$50

The XB500 is a clear step down from the other ones you've mentioned except in bass quantity. I haven't tried the UR55 but out of the rest I'd go with the DHP-II with some caveats - 1. You have to be at least somewhat careful with them; 2. They don't leak much sound, but they don't isolate a whole lot either. You probably won't bother those around you but they will bother you. The HTX7 is more of a compromise - it doesn't sound as good as the DHP-II and is less comfortably but it has better isolation and can take more abuse.

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 25
bassballboy: M30's sounded fine amp-less, during my brief audition.

Edit: just listen to |joker|'s advice, he almost certainly has more experience than anyone else in this thread.

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
Quote:
If there weren't enough options already, going to throw the Sony XB500's out there as well, sound down my alley maybe too and ~$50

The XB500 is a clear step down from the other ones you've mentioned except in bass quantity. I haven't tried the UR55 but out of the rest I'd go with the DHP-II with some caveats - 1. You have to be at least somewhat careful with them; 2. They don't leak much sound, but they don't isolate a whole lot either. You probably won't bother those around you but they will bother you. The HTX7 is more of a compromise - it doesn't sound as good as the DHP-II and is less comfortably but it has better isolation and can take more abuse.

Interesting... Let's rule out the the xb500's and the HTX7's then....  leaving the current debate to:

Porta Pro
UR55
DHP-II
ATH-M30

The options are maddening, but that is good too I guess!

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #14 of 25
If you want to thin the herd quickly, you could decide on isolation. Porta Pro is a fully open-back headphone; i.e.: almost all sound will leak in, and quite a bit of your music will leak out. If you hate everyone else in the library, this is for you.
Based on |joker|'s comprehensive review thread, the DHP-II is semi-open, so it will leak in and out, but less than the Porta Pro. 
M30 is fully closed. This is no guarantee of how effectively it will block out noise, but it should leak relatively little music out.

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 25
The M30 is not one I'd recommend for a bass lover. It's a very balanced can, quite monitor-like. The exact opposite of the XB500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back