Studio Beats
Jul 16, 2010 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

e2pathos

Head-Fier
If any of you guys saw my yesterdays thread i talked about how I saw a pair at the airport and gave them a listen, i really liked the comfort, style, quality, and bass. I did some looking on the net and found that most reviews were really good for them until I came across this website, almost everybody here hates on them pretty hard.

Now the question I'm asking is why, I've only gotten one answer so far and that was because they are overpriced.

I'm hoping somebody can tell me some other reasons why I SHOULDNT get them because I'm a new headphone buyer and I want my first pair to be awesome.

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 24
We, at headfi, look for the best product for the money (most of us). The beats, just don't have the sound quality to match other headphones at a significantly lower price range. I'm sure that, as a new headfier, you are looking for bass no? Well, the beats lack in highs and mids, and the lows are overblown. Sound quality worthy of a $60 headphone. As an added plus, they break easily; and if you are a mature adult, you know that styling is meant for children and GANGSTAS YO. Style is almost akin to those sickly skullcandys, and not too far off from the sound quality of one. The overpriced point also applies to bose. So don't buy that. If you name what you want in your first good headphone, we can help you find it, and at a good price too.

Good luck on your search.

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 24
Well see theres a good logical reason on why I shouldn't get them.
Yesterday I wrote a thread that was EXTREMELY HUGE, not even joking with everything I wanted in a headphone and everything I didn't care about. I think it got deleted cause I bumped it...

And I'm not an adult, but I am mature, and In my last thread i noted that I am still in highschool and looks do matter to me, and some of the cheaper but good quality cans are just bulky and grey and I said I just wasnt down for that.

And you were spot on about the bass, most all of my music is either techno, DnB, dubstep, or deathcore, everything with bass emphasized, now i dont want a headphone with such bass that there are no mids or highs etc...

I've been looking a lot at the audio technica M50's because they don't look aweful, they are much much cheaper, and seem to be all around a very good headphone.

Keep up the input guys

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 24
I also recommend the M50, as well as the Phiaton MS 400, the MS 400 has some nice styling akin to the colours of the beats.
I also recommend the Sennheiser  HD-25-1 if you like the "no nonsense I mean business" look, paired with top tier sound quality.

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 24

From the looks of it, it's better if you post this in the portable headphone forum. I was just about to recommend 2 amps called PPAv2 or M^3 with Bass Boost. The Bass Boost feature on those amps allows you to control the bass gain anyway you like using a knob! Anyways once you get your perfect portable headphones, be sure to strap a mini portable amp under your iPod.

Jul 16, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 24

Quote:

From the looks of it, it's better if you post this in the portable headphone forum. I was just about to recommend 2 amps called PPAv2 or M^3 with Bass Boost. The Bass Boost feature on those amps allows you to control the bass gain anyway you like using a knob! Anyways once you get your perfect portable headphones, be sure to strap a mini portable amp under your iPod.

nah, he's asking for headphones that are easy to drive. Check the link

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
nah, he's asking for headphones that are easy to drive. Check the link

I wouldnt mind a portable driver if it wasn't too pricey and did a decent job. It's just that everywhere I have read on these forums have so far said most portable drivers aren't very good. I'll check out the other ones you listed in a bit and im gonna head to guitar center when i get home from vacation and give some phones there a listen.

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 24
One thing to consider too, especially for portable headphones, is durability. I'm going by anecdotal evidence here, but with the amount of broken Beats I see at retail stores (Best Buy is a good example), it might not be the most durable cans around. Having them sit around in Best Buy and being tortured might be an extreme case, but there's enough stories by owners quoting their lack of durability is a good thing to go by.

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 24
Yeah I tend to be very careful with any electronics I have but I heard the case they come with is pretty nice also. Besides overpriced and you could get higher quality for less I still haven't heard enough reasons to break me yet, although those m50's are looking pretty nice.

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #11 of 24
The Sennhiesers are good and look pretty sleek.
Have you given any thought to some great IEMs? either way a portable amp might not be a bad idea. I would have thought IEMs would be good for 'high school' though.
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #13 of 24
In ear monitor.

high quality in ear headphones

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 24
Ultimate Ear triple fi pro10 and Shure SE530 sound awesome

I used to use Sleek Audio SA6 before I had a portable amp and they sounded pretty sweet too and easy to drive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back