Stuck between these three. HELP D:
Jun 25, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #16 of 36
OKay, time to be clear as possible. It really doesn't matter if they are open air or not, I just don't want IEM's or On-Ear's; they are to painful for my ears for on-ear's, and the IEM's, well, one, they are horrible for your ears and over time ruin hearing, and second, they don't wanna stay in my freaking ear lol. Whether they are closed or open, I don't care, but I would like to stay away from IEM's or On-Ear. I know I sound very very picky, but its because I'm using my money and I just want what I want.

Jun 25, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #17 of 36

Quote:
I checked out the link. The headphones don't really seem, well, much. I know they are only about $80, but they don't seem to be anything I want, like the Shure's or A-T's. Plus they don't look like they could isolate any sound, they look like on-ear cans and I really prefer over-ear. And as the guy mentions about the cans being held together by heat-adhesive, they don't seem to be durable, I  could break them if I dropped after five times or so. I AM NOT DISSING THESE HEADPHONES, ITS MY PERSONAL OPINION. I hate to say it but are there ANY other brand of headphones you guys could recommend? Sorry to disappoint if I did. 
frown.gif

Haha no disappointment man, you SHOULD be picky about what you are looking for. If you don't want an open set of cans, and it sounds like you are looking for a portable set as well, check out the thread I'll link below, its pretty informative. On the durability note however, they are not weak and fragile...they are really well put together, don't let the glue fool you.

If I were you, I would go to an audio store and try the grado sr60i out; they is really great for metal music. I dont specifically listen to the bands you listed (except as blood runs black, love their album allegiance) but I listen to stuff that is similar and they sound awesome, as I already said above 
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, worst case you could get the sr60i and also another close set as well haha.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-84-portable-headphones-reviewed-fischer-audio-fa-004-koss-ur55-added-06-06

edit because i just noticed your post above - at least you know what you don't want, right? seriously though check out that thread. 

Jun 25, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #18 of 36

I have M50s and you drop them 5 times hard I'm sure you'll mess them up. People may say one can is more durable than another but seriously even the most durable can is still a lot more vulnerable to damage than your average item... And I would wait for M50 to drop in price since they are normally priced about $50 cheaper or just buy the sony V6 cause they are almost as good but less than half price. both are monitor HP so isolation is no prob.

I can agree to that on the dropping, and I'll be sure to check out those V6's. Any other recommendations?

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #19 of 36

Quote:
Haha no disappointment man, you SHOULD be picky about what you are looking for. If you don't want an open set of cans, and it sounds like you are looking for a portable set as well, check out the thread I'll link below, its pretty informative. On the durability note however, they are not weak and fragile...they are really well put together, don't let the glue fool you.

If I were you, I would go to an audio store and try the grado sr60i out; they is really great for metal music. I dont specifically listen to the bands you listed (except as blood runs black, love their album allegiance) but I listen to stuff that is similar and they sound awesome, as I already said above 
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, worst case you could get the sr60i and also another close set as well haha.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-84-portable-headphones-reviewed-fischer-audio-fa-004-koss-ur55-added-06-06

edit because i just noticed your post above - at least you know what you don't want, right? seriously though check out that thread. 

Hey, I checked out the thread and three headphones caught my eye; the Panasonic RP-HTX7's, the Sony MDR-ZX700's, and the Ultrasone HFI-450 (or Yamaha RH10MS). All three were in my price range and had close or what I exactly wanted. Which out of these three, would be best for my kind of music. Actually, include the M50's in there as well.

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #20 of 36
Ive only heard of the ultrasones, sonys are new i think, and i wouldnt recommend panasonic I have some of their IEMs and they are horrible. but generally people compare the ultrasone 580 to the M50 so this isnt really a fair comparison. But if you are willing to buy M50 then you can afford the 580 read reviews on them here in the threads there should be close to 4 billion of them, maybe even a few m50 vs 580

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #21 of 36

Quote:
Ive only heard of the ultrasones, sonys are new i think, and i wouldnt recommend panasonic I have some of their IEMs and they are horrible. but generally people compare the ultrasone 580 to the M50 so this isnt really a fair comparison. But if you are willing to buy M50 then you can afford the 580 read reviews on them here in the threads there should be close to 4 billion of them, maybe even a few m50 vs 580

Ummm, I looked at them on amazon, the 680's are cheaper and the 780's are $10 more. What would recommend I do? Which paor (if i were to get them) would be best?

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #22 of 36
I have never actually heard the ultrasones but they are very highly spoken of by everyone and loved by people who actually have them. They are also unique and from what Ive read they have a unique sound. Now if I look back at when I got the M50 if I had the choice to get any of the ultrasones I may  have gone for the 780 over the M50, because of the uniqueness (everyone and their mama has the M50) and if they cost the same as the M50 right now its better to go 780 cause I would consider them an upgrade from the M50. But you should read up on these or wait for someone who someone who has both to comment cause like i said I haven't heard these. O and did you check on the V6 I have heard those and they compare pretty well with the M50?

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #23 of 36
I looked at the V6's and Sony came out with a new set of cans this year that are kind of an upgrade of those. I mentioned them earlier, Sony MDR-ZX700 if my memory serves me right. Take a look at them and see for yourself. They look good for the price they are :) and the ultrasone's seem like a reasonable choice. Now that I know I have more money than i thought, price range is maximum $180 or so. For sure nothing above $200. Even at $180 and being 17 YO is quite a bit for my age lol. Oh AND thee are my first set of real cans. I had SC Hesh's, what a POC. 
mad.gif

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #25 of 36
V6 are old school Sony, newer stuff isn't as good. Don't spend all your money on the cans cause you're now a head-fier soon you are gonna want a good amp then some LCD-2 like everyone else on this evil site.... I say get the ultrasones I haven't seen them go much lower in price than that and I don't think you'll need an upgrade in awhile. If i didn't just get my grandmaster beyers I might be looking at these too, i got myself interested 

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #26 of 36
Ultrasone is a great choice. They will be one of my top 3 headphone choices. But, I have a question; I hear a lot about Sennheiser and wanted to know if they are as good as people make them out to be and also if any of their sub $200 headphones are as good as Ultrasone's? I would like multiple opinions and if you could explain WHY they sound better or worse. Keep in mine I'm asking which is better for MY type of music. My genre is screamo and deathcore. But I do listen to other genres as well.

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #27 of 36
Add the Denon AH-D1100 to your list. It's a bit above your budget, but not by much.

They soundgreat with rock and electronic music.

Great bass, awesome soundstage and instrument separation.

They are also close and circumaural (around the ear).

They are also very comfortable. They are considered portable.

The best thing you could do is go to a store that has them and take your music.

I got my D1100 just a couple of months ago. The choice was between these and the M50s. Went with the Denons for the comfort. I haven't heard or worn the M50s but everyone agrees they are big, heavy and clamp like a vise. That is not uncommon for headphones but I personally didn't want that.

I encourage you to look further and try them all out if you can. Don't settle for the M50s just because they seem to get all the praise.

Jun 26, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #28 of 36

Quote:
Add the Denon AH-D1100 to your list. It's a bit above your budget, but not by much.

They soundgreat with rock and electronic music.

Great bass, awesome soundstage and instrument separation.

They are also close and circumaural (around the ear).

They are also very comfortable. They are considered portable.

The best thing you could do is go to a store that has them and take your music.

I got my D1100 just a couple of months ago. The choice was between these and the M50s. Went with the Denons for the comfort. I haven't heard or worn the M50s but everyone agrees they are big, heavy and clamp like a vise. That is not uncommon for headphones but I personally didn't want that.

I encourage you to look further and try them all out if you can. Don't settle for the M50s just because they seem to get all the praise.

I looked at a review on those Denon's. They don't look "drop safe", like if I were to drop them they would crack. Also, no detachable cable, and one sided cord, also non collapsable cans?  And I'm paying $200 for these cans? Are they really worth it for $200? I don't really care about any of the things listed above except the durability. I wear them around my neck constantly, so I just need to be sure I can wear them around my neck with any set of cans I get. **note: @erod, I am not kicking your headphones around or anything, please do not assume I am, its just there is so little for too much, but those sacrifices are made up for with the comfort and the sound quality. I just want to be sure I am getting my moneys worth out of these things if I get them.

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #29 of 36
I can't speak for the Ultrasone 780's, however I did finally receive my PRO 900's yesterday.  If the 780's are built in the same quality as the 900's are, I'd say go with those.  I also have the M50's, however I must say I like the 900's more.  They isolate outside noises better, and seem to have more range from the low to upper end.  Also the M50's made my ears sweat a bit.....haven't had that happen yet with the Ultrasones. 

If anyone can comment as to similarity in build quality between the 780's and the 900's that might help.  Also the differences in how the two differ in sound signature.

Jun 26, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #30 of 36
The D1100s do bend backwards. They don't fold like otherportables, but they bend backwards dj-style.

As for build quality, I take care of my stuff and my stuff takes care of me in return. Would they survive an accidental fall from my hands? I'm sure they would. Couldn't tell you how many drops though. They are made of plastic, but I'm not afraid they'll fall apart.They survived a flight in a suitcase filled with clothes.

If the detachable cable is a deal-breaker, then that would be an issue. I'm not sure what you mean by one-sided cord. If you mean the cable only hooks up to one side, it doesn't. It splits in two and hooks up to both. Some people like that, some people don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back