Strong Bass & Good Quality Headphones £200 ?
Oct 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

BrandonDouglas

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I've been researching the interwebs alot (often coming back round to this forum) for a good set of over-ear headphones that have a strong bass end that doesn't comprimise the middle and higher frequencies.

I've read through a few of the similar threads 'Best Dubstep Headphones under $200' etc. but I'm yet to come to a conclusion, it would seem one headphone cannot triumph another completely. And I have no idea where I can go to test them out for myself, as none of my local shops stock the headphones I'm looking at (to my knowledge).

From my 'research' I'm currently looking at a few headphones;

ATH M50 £133.99
Ultrasone PRO750 - £221 Over budget but may get away with it...
ATH-PRO700MK2 £149
Ultrasone HFI 780 £149

They must be closed as I'll be listening to them at school on the train etc. and don't want to be getting funny looks from people who can hear the odd sounds of Dubstep leaking through. I'll be listening to them through my Laptop and Samsung Galaxy SII (Android Phone). It is to my understanding that I would benefit from an amp, considering the size of the devices doesn't allow for a large, high quality sound card or whatever. As my family isn't the most well off, I have little lee-way for going over £200... so I can't be splashing out on great headphones if i cant afford an amp that will actually make them sound worth the money.

I have no idea if one of the cheaper Fiio amps would work or not, I was looking at the Fiio E7 on Amazon for £60 which allows me £140 for headphones, which may work, with the above listed headphones being close to that figure.

My reason for upgrading;

I currently own a pair of Sennheiser CX-870 which are a brilliant pair of in-ears with a respectable punchy bass, however I lost the small buds and cannot for the life of me find replacements online, and the medium size falls out of my ear alot even when walking! They're also somewhat uncomfortable to have in your ear. I decided I'd rather have over-ear headphones so I dont have to put up with them not fitting my ear canal and falling out etc. and the larger driver meaning I get better over-all sound quality (theoretically).

I'll end this here before it turns into an Essay, in-fact, I think I've written shorter Essays -.-

I'm sure I can provide any extra info you may need that I may have missed, hope you can narrow my selection and advise me on the whole amp situation. Thanks! :)

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #3 of 21
Hmm   If Dubstep is your thing, the cans you listed above should work well enough.   Might just be a matter of picking one.   I've personally bought (and returned) the ATH-PRO700MK2 and an Ultrasone HFi-480.   The PRO700MK2 is very uncomfortable out of the box and you will have to buy different earpads to make it work long-term.   I also personally found the mids/highs to sound very recessed and out of balance with the bass.  But many others don't feel that way about the PRO700's mid/highs... so take that criticism with a grain of salt.  The Ultrasones sounded a lot better to me, but were also uncomfortable plus they (Ultrasone) have a unique way of widening the sound stage.  They call it 'S-Logic' and I personally found it a little artificial sounding.

Honestly,  if this is your first serious over-ear purchase, I would recommend starting with the ATH-M50.  It's the cheapest Ive ever seen it and it's V shaped sound should work well with electronicy type music.  If you buy from amazon, don't be afraid to return them if you're not happy.  I returned three headphones before settling.   

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 21
Thank you for the reply,

The M50's certainly seem the way to go, my only worry with them was that people were saying they're not all there when it comes to bass and especially lower bass. But as you say, I can always return them if I'm not happy. They are the cheapest ones too!

I want to get a Fiio E7 with them also, would you say it's worth it? or would a cheaper Fiio amp do just fine... I'm not exactly the richest person in the world

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:
Thank you for the reply,

The M50's certainly seem the way to go, my only worry with them was that people were saying they're not all there when it comes to bass and especially lower bass. 

Well just remember it's all personal preference.  I will share that the the quest for huge bass as the holy grail of sound never worked out for me.  The PRO700's made me realize I didn't enjoy a sound signature were the bass out shines all else.   But that might be exactly what some do enjoy...   I came to appreciate highs and mids so much more.  I still love strong bass but I just want the bass to complement the the other freqencies now. Not be the main event.  This holds true even for electronic music.  

I want to get a Fiio E7 with them also, would you say it's worth it? or would a cheaper Fiio amp do just fine... I'm not exactly the richest person in the world

I have not heard the E7 so I don't want to speculate.  I did try the cheaper E5 and did not like it.  It seemed to flatten out the dynamic range.  The Softer elements of the music seemed closer to the louder.  Besides, I've heard the Galaxy S II puts out some decent sound all by it's self.  

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 21
 Besides, I've heard the Galaxy S II puts out some decent sound all by it's self.  

I wouldn't call it decent, it's more like average or even below average.

It's nothing compared to the Wolfson DAC that was in the original Galaxy S.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 21
Might be worth having a look at Sony MDR-V55 if bass is what you want.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/extra-bass-dj-headphones/mdr-v55

I loved using them with my Samsung Galaxy S2, they improved the sound loads.

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #12 of 21
+1 on the above comment.

Get yourself some Yamaha EPH-100s and you will be happy.

Spun out from my RenovateD and NCX'd HTC One X!

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 21
Ive got IEM's and I find them really uncomfortable, i lose the  buds easily too. Plus theres no chance of the over ear headphones falling off or being yanked out of my ears if i accidentily tug the cable. And as a last point, the larger drivers in over ears surely allow for better sound quality. 

Ive never been a fan of big headphones but im tired of the complications of in ears :/ and im willing to look funny with big cans too get rid of these little annoyances

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #15 of 21
Surely most of the money spent on these goes to the manufacturing due to them being made just for me... so i could get better quality sound for around the same price if i bought standard headphones. Or am I wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back