Strict IEM user here looking for a nice set of full size
Jul 31, 2011 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Freeze

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for something in the $500 maybe maximum $650 range and that's pushing it. I enjoy hard hitting but tightly accurate bass. Definitely bass heavy listener but I want detailed clear bass that is also loud. I dislike sibilance greatly but also would like clear sparkling highs. I like good separation in the music and being able to pick out all the nuances in the song. I like to be able to get it loud and disortion free if i want or nice medium level with equal performance. I use an imod/pico slim combo. Suggestions please? Your time in appreciated.

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 8
Ultrasone PRO900 will make you question if you have ever heard bass before. Or will turn you off of bass, your choice.

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 8
I dont want crazy ridiculous bass that is greatly out of whack and messing the eq up. Westone 3 are pretty heavy on bass but still nice. But like I said I want clear tightly defined clear bass that has a nice presence but isn't totally out of whack. High separation between instruments everything as clear as can be in my price range.

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 8
Check out the fostex t50rp. They need a couple of hours and a few parts but when modified are a stunning value, with bass comparable to my jh16 but a more neutral and open sound through the rest of the range. And you can tune the bass as part of the modification, it's really easy.

I did a variation I dubbed rastapants which is easy and very effective.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 31, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I dont want crazy ridiculous bass that is greatly out of whack and messing the eq up. Westone 3 are pretty heavy on bass but still nice. But like I said I want clear tightly defined clear bass that has a nice presence but isn't totally out of whack. High separation between instruments everything as clear as can be in my price range.

They have a lot of bass but everything else is still there.

Quote:
Check out the fostex t50rp. They need a couple of hours and a few parts but when modified are a stunning value, with bass comparable to my jh16 but a more neutral and open sound through the rest of the range. And you can tune the bass as part of the modification, it's really easy.

I did a variation I dubbed rastapants which is easy and very effective.

Review here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/559233/review-fostex-t50rp-it-s-been-needing-a-review

It's mostly a mids can, but after some modding and a little EQ, they will blow the bass very well. Problem is, that they take A LOT of power. But OP's amps should deliver.
For bass, dampen heavily up to the driver and pack in the blutak.
Add some custom pads
tutorial here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/562891/request-custom-earpad-tutorial-for-fullsized-cans

and you're good to go

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 8
Nice review, but EQ is not the solution, the mods are...  On the power side, actually I have had no issue at all running on an iBasso D12.  But then, I don't turn it to 3 o'clock, either...  Maybe more power is required if EQ is being used to juice the bass...

I did get a giggle out of the "mid can." The Rastapants is no "mid can."  It has prodigious, deep and tight bass, easily going down to 20Hz, maybe lower, without EQ.  Really, it's got bottom end power on par with the JH16 or the LCD-2.  Once you get in and change the damping on the driver, you really are actually about reducing the bass.  

Anyhow, not trying to hijack the thread, but wanted to clarify.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 3, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 8
Got the pro 900's off ebay but going to be awhile before i can fully enjoy them. Have to sell my current dap and current amp or hopefully just trade them on here for what i want. Can't wait to get it all together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back