Storm Digital, anything on the horizon?
May 31, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #32 of 104
May 31, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #33 of 104
USB-I2s is an interface that doesn't introduce the crappy SOny Phillips interface like most cheap USB inputs. I2s is the native interface of DACs (not spdif) and is much lower jitter than spdif. All Dacs have spdif to I2s converters and most USB dacs have usb to spdif to i2s converters. Although i'm not personally convinced USB is that great an interface even w/o spdif it certainly is convenient and seems to be the direction computer audiophilism is going in. It is functionally the same to any other USB input you've seen
smily_headphones1.gif
. Personally, I already have my money on a complete Storm System which should be complete by September
wink.gif
. It will be valves galore.

May 31, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #34 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel
USB-I2s is an interface that doesn't introduce the crappy SOny Phillips interface like most cheap USB inputs. I2s is the native interface of DACs (not spdif) and is much lower jitter than spdif. All Dacs have spdif to I2s converters and most USB dacs have usb to spdif to i2s converters. Although i'm not personally convinced USB is that great an interface even w/o spdif it certainly is convenient and seems to be the direction computer audiophilism is going in.

That's what I've gathered too. Having USB>I2S chops out the SPDIF in the middle. USB may not be the best solution, but at the moment USB>I2S is being tapped as the best there is at the moment for PC audio.

May 31, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #35 of 104
I still dont totally understand... is I2S a port on the DAC only? Or do you need an I2S card in your computer also? Does it use a standard USB cable?

May 31, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #36 of 104
I really don't want to hijack this thread anymore after answering this question. There are a few Dacs that have i2s inputs in them NorthStar, Zanden and Perpetual Technologies come to mind, the D01/D03 will be one of them. DACs with USB I2s interfaces internally convert from USB to I2s. The input is a USB plug and you use a USB cable. Although a USB-i2s interface is better than aesebu/spdif i2s and drastically better than USB-spdif-i2s in terms of jitter, I do not think it is an end all be all interface. Asynchronous transfer with USB has yet to be developed and I'm none too happy with a dead powerline running through the cable. It is a perplexity that I2s has not developed a standard connector and become a standard for digital transmission. Part of the appeal of Ken's products is that they are scientifically superior to a lot of stuff on the market at a fraction of the cost. Not to spilll too many beans but Ken's transport will not only have native i2s out but will be slaved to the DAC which itself will have an external clock for insanely low jitter.
If you are still confused please make a new thread, pm me, or research on your own.

May 31, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #37 of 104
No I think that clears it up. Im saving up to buy a DAC from storm digital so thats why I was curious about it. Sorry if I hijacked the thread

Jun 1, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #39 of 104
The Soap amp is a high performance portable amp which Ken has on the drawing board. It will be powered by li-ion batteries but don't expect anytime soon; it is low on the totem pole and he will only get to it after everything already detailed above is released.

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #40 of 104
Hello,
I have bought a DAC from Ken Law of Storm Audio, 9 months ago. I have had several assurances from Ken that he will ship the DAC. But yet nothing. I have paid in full, and Ken no longer replies to my email messages, and I have given up trying to phone him.

Does anyone else have a problem, there seem to be other people who have bought DAC's after me who have already had their DAC shipped.

All I want is my DAC or my money back, does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do now?

All the best,
Anil K Solanki,
UK.

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #41 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by aksolanki
Hello,
I have bought a DAC from Ken Law of Storm Audio, 9 months ago. I have had several assurances from Ken that he will ship the DAC. But yet nothing. I have paid in full, and Ken no longer replies to my email messages, and I have given up trying to phone him.

Does anyone else have a problem, there seem to be other people who have bought DAC's after me who have already had their DAC shipped.

All I want is my DAC or my money back, does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do now?

All the best,
Anil K Solanki,
UK.

Everyone's who paid has gotten theirs shipped already.. I will help you follow up and see what's happening -- this is rather strange.

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #42 of 104
Quote:

Hello,

All the best,
Anil K Solanki,
UK.

Somehow I find this very hard to believe.

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #43 of 104
Quote:

Hello,

All the best,
Anil K Solanki,
UK.

Thats pretty bad dude.From what i have read about ken it does not seem like something he would do,but i stopped trying to figure people out along time ago and have learned always to expect the unexpected.

Hope you get it worked out.Myself i never would have waited anywhere near 9 months if indeed this is the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back