Stepdance or P-51 Mustang for Senn HD 650s?
Jan 13, 2011 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bluestar11

New Head-Fier
I'm using Senn 650s/580s with a HeadRoom Total BitHead amplifier. I love BitHead's dual output feature a lot. My wife and I can listen together.

However, BitHead is not designed for driving 300ohms phones. I feel the sound is not crystal clear and the bass is not tight, though the volume is loud enough. I'm not satisfied with the sound stage either. So I'm considering an upgrade. I've read Skylab's fantastic review of portable amps and my choices are 1) Corda Stepdance 2) RSA P-51 Mustang. My budget is $400 so I won't go more expensive ones.

My questions are:

a) Is Senn 650s + Stepdance a good combination? I searched the forum but didn't find much info.

b) Does P-51 Mustang drive HD650 well? If anyone owns this combination, I would like to hear your voice. Ray mentioned HD6XX in the description of Predator and SR-71A but not P-51.

c) I'm in US. Would anyone recommend a reliable external power supply? And does an external power supply affect the sound quality?

Thanks!

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 7
No, I definitely will not pair the P-51 with the HD650.  The stepdance is a good combination.  For RSA amps, the only ones will work in order of preference are:  SR71B, Protector, and the SR71A.

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks, Jalo! Now only Stepdance remains on my list ~ :)

Quote:
No, I definitely will not pair the P-51 with the HD650.  The stepdance is a good combination.  For RSA amps, the only ones will work in order of preference are:  SR71B, Protector, and the SR71A.

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 7
I have the Stepdance in addition with the HD650 and in my opinion and what I am hearing, I can say that this is a very good combination regarding the sound as well as the bass and so on. I also have to mention that this is my portable choice and when I am switching back to my "desktop-amp" there is a sonic improvement. Nevertheless I really like this combination when I am on the way and I don't want to miss it anymore.

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 7
In addition to the Stepdance, I think the new Ibasso PB2 will be a surprise though I have not heard it personally.  But it is very hard to argument with 2500mW PER CHANNEL especially if your name is HD650. 
L3000.gif

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 7
For the HD650, you could also check out the Headstage Arrow amp. It does an excellent job driving my HD650 and the versatility is just unmatched. (Also has 2 headphone outs so you can share your music)

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 7
I use HD580s with the Stepdance, and I'm just running in a pair of HD650s. The Stepdance drives both well, but I think a PSU is required to get the best from them. It's okay with the internal battery, but the extra juice makes a big difference IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back