Steampunk Millett Hybrid
Oct 12, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #48 of 81
Wow, this is the best looking millet I've yet seen, it's incredible!

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #53 of 81
I used the existing face plate, 24VDC, 500 milliamps and some saltwater and 3 hours to etch the brass... There are a few flaws but overall, I am very pleased with the results. I'm going to do some etching on the back plate too, moer gears and some lettering by the input jacks. The lettering at the bottom of the plate was supposed to read thermionic valve amplifier.

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #56 of 81
That etching work is very cool, how exactly was it done? Did you use toner transfer or something similar to PCB making? I would love to see more pics on how that is done, I am doing a steampunk wedding next year (mine) and was going to use etched PCB's as wedding invites, but what you did loks awesome and might be cheaper and simpler.

Joe

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #57 of 81

Quote:
That etching work is very cool, how exactly was it done? Did you use toner transfer or something similar to PCB making? I would love to see more pics on how that is done, I am doing a steampunk wedding next year (mine) and was going to use etched PCB's as wedding invites, but what you did loks awesome and might be cheaper and simpler.

Joe

I can't speak for vixr - but I use the guide put together by Jake von Slatt for brass/copper etching. 
http://steampunkworkshop.com/electroetch.shtml

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #60 of 81

Quote:

Joe

Joe,
    I think any of the "how to"  tutorials will work, I used a saltwater saturated solution of table salt (kids in the house) and my power supply limited to 24 volts and 1 amp...a car battery would work way better, because my etch took 3 hours. I would say to try a test piece to see if its going to do what you need first. A small medallion or something of that nature on some parchment type paper may be eaiser to mass produce for the invitations. I will post a few step by step pictures later to show you how I do it...again thank you for the kind comments and its easy to do good work when you have no life. One tip I would give? if any of the toner comes off the brass, just remove it all with nail polish remover and start over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back