Stax SR-X9000
Feb 23, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #2,881 of 2,985
Feb 23, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #2,882 of 2,985
Anyone plan on hearing the Metaxas amplifier in New York for CanJam?

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #2,883 of 2,985
The importer Jeff said he would be there.

Feb 24, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #2,885 of 2,985
For me, the BHSE sounded too bright and slightly too little bass. Closest was the Carbon. However, it didn't have the precision and clarity of the Sirius.
Next will be the Alpha Centauri Push-Pull to test. The push-pull amplifiers are highly praised in a German hi-fi forum.

It all comes down to what you want and what you're pairing it with.

The BHSE is incredibly detailed, spacious (just an incredible amp overall and one of my favorites ever).. and can also come across as a bit bright with a lot of stats because they are in fact bright and it's very transparent with a hint of midrange warmth. I did ultimately realize and agree that it is slightly lighter on bass no matter the tubes. Maybe also a result of transparency and not over-imposing its own sound.. but very much worth considering with stats given their nature.

FWIW, I think the Grand Cayman does everything the BHSE does and better, with much improved tone and timbre. Bass doesn't improve grandly, but again probably more of a reflection of stats.

I would also look into the Aeras and T2 if greater timbre/bass is what you're looking for, for stats. The Megatron from what I've seen impressions of also looks interesting, although I've not heard it myself.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #2,886 of 2,985
Thx to all forum members. I have made my decision. Sillie helped me a lot, I could hear out that even the BHSE is not perfect or at least not a perfect match for the X9000.
I ordered from this S&P audio guy because he built already one where I could speak to this person. I think I did the right decision because even (in case) I do not like something, the amplifier could be "adapted" to my wishes. i did to wait for at least 4 weeks from the day I order and pay in advance.

I was thinking about Mjolnir carbon. But almost the double of the price when adding 20% Tax - I can not afford that. I will post as soon I have the amplifer. I can compare it with the stax mobile and some old SS Stax amp.

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #2,887 of 2,985
Thx to all forum members. I have made my decision. Sillie helped me a lot, I could hear out that even the BHSE is not perfect or at least not a perfect match for the X9000.
I ordered from this S&P audio guy because he built already one where I could speak to this person. I think I did the right decision because even (in case) I do not like something, the amplifier could be "adapted" to my wishes. i did to wait for at least 4 weeks from the day I order and pay in advance.

I was thinking about Mjolnir carbon. But almost the double of the price when adding 20% Tax - I can not afford that. I will post as soon I have the amplifer. I can compare it with the stax mobile and some old SS Stax amp.
Which amplifier is s&p audio?

Feb 26, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #2,888 of 2,985
Which amplifier is s&p audio?
If I google that company, a site comes up with my browser warning me about malware...
Maybe P&S Audio is meant, an audio company residing in Boulder, CO (?)
But it could also be company https://www.sup-audio.com as they are in Germany and
do custom projects... hmmm

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #2,889 of 2,985
Feb 26, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #2,890 of 2,985
Does anyone own both the X9000 and the Susvara and can compare? Which do your prefer and why?

In October I was super close to ordering a Susvara and Violectric amp to go with it as my "end game".......then I was like "but you never got into estats like you wanted to 20 years ago" (besides the Koss estat which is great)

Anyway I was debating getting either the X9000 or the Susvara but I'm not sure.

I really love my CRBN too, anyone can compare the CRBN to the Susvara?

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #2,891 of 2,985
Does anyone own both the X9000 and the Susvara and can compare? Which do your prefer and why?

In October I was super close to ordering a Susvara and Violectric amp to go with it as my "end game".......then I was like "but you never got into estats like you wanted to 20 years ago" (besides the Koss estat which is great)

Anyway I was debating getting either the X9000 or the Susvara but I'm not sure.

I really love my CRBN too, anyone can compare the CRBN to the Susvara?
The X9K and Sus have a similar laid back sound. The Sus has better bass, while the X9K has a bit better resolution. They are both good, but I sold my X9K, but still have my Sus (so I prefer the Sus). The CRBN and Susvara are very different. The CRBN is more veiled and warm. The CRBN reminds me a bit of the ZMF house sound. I didn't really like the CRBN that much and rarely listened to it, so it also got sold. It was just too veiled.

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #2,892 of 2,985
The X9K and Sus have a similar laid back sound. The Sus has better bass, while the X9K has a bit better resolution. They are both good, but I sold my X9K, but still have my Sus (so I prefer the Sus). The CRBN and Susvara are very different. The CRBN is more veiled and warm. The CRBN reminds me a bit of the ZMF house sound. I didn't really like the CRBN that much and rarely listened to it, so it also got sold. It was just too veiled.
How about Caldera?

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #2,893 of 2,985
Feb 26, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #2,894 of 2,985

I also have an Arya Organic not sure if the Susvara is worth it based off how old it is compared to the Organic. Interesting hearing the CRBN being called veiled. That's not what I would call it exactly, but we all have our own opinions and source gear.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #2,895 of 2,985
I also have an Arya Organic not sure if the Susvara is worth it based off how old it is compared to the Organic. Interesting hearing the CRBN being called veiled. That's not what I would call it exactly, but we all have our own opinions and source great.
Even HE1000SE perform better performance in some ways compared to Arya Organic. Seems "age" doesn't matter in this case. Susvara is superion in many ways compared to HE1000SE (with correct set up of course).

CRBN is not a veiled sounding headphone, it's just that X9000 clearly (pun intended) a clearer and more transparent headphone here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back