Stax SR-X9000
Feb 28, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #2,911 of 2,979
Question: which STAX is most detailed and shows the most separation of instruments and musical threads, the X9000 or the 009S?

I'm using the 007Mk.2 now, and I know it's not them, though I like them. I've had both the X9000 and the 009S, but I'd like other opinions. Thanks!

The x9000 is quite a bit ahead of the 009 from a layering and separation standpoint, which increases its sense of detail and resolution significantly. In that regard, it's closer in tier as the SGL Sr. than it is the 009. That said, I prefer the more lively and forward presentation of the 009, as the x9000 is just a tad bit too laid back for my preferences (strictly talking positioning here, not tone. The x9k's tone is smoother and better overall).

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #2,912 of 2,979
I remember you tried my x9k first and then I introduced my 007 to you but after 1 mins or so we switched back to x9k LOL. I think x9k do have some magic to grab people's attention. But I actually prefer 007 in the daily use.

Are you sure you didn't bring a L700 mk2 or another of the black square Stax to a meetup or you are confusing me with someone else? I've been to two headfi meetups. I remember trying the L700(or another black square Stax) which had great bass, then going to a Shang Jr, I was surprised at how much better the bass was on the L700 vs the Shang jr because the Shang was so much more expensive, this was waiting in line for the X9000 listening out of I think a modded 717? Then I got to hear that finally out of the Blue Hawaii. Unless my memory is failing me.

The second Headfi meetup I went too I just heard your X9000 again.
How would you describe the sound of the Brainwavs XL pad?

It keeps the bass of the 007 but makes them sound more immediate and closer to your ears. I tried some Dekoni pads that completely ruined the bass because there was no seal.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #2,913 of 2,979
Just to chime in, i heard both the Sus and CRBN at last year's CanJam and i preferred the latter (was off the Woo Audio WES). The Sus was driven by the fabled MassKobo 465 and honestly it didnt resonate as much with me as the CRBN did nor the Abyss Phi TC driven by the XIAUDIO amp.
The Sus was too laid back and thin sounding for my liking. I was hoping to like the Sus as ive read much about it but its just not to my personal taste and preference.

The X9000 on the other hand ticks most of my boxes and i find it the most balanced and detailed of all the estats ive heard and i find it to be really dependent on the source and amp. For instance ; i auditioned it with the SRM-T8000 and found it too polite and laid back for my liking albeit with a grander stage with a cleaner and more incisive presentation VS driven by the SRM-700S which was more dynamic and slightly forward with more aplomb and gusto.

Seeing you own a 717, you could audition the X9K with the T8000 since its basically 90% a reworked 717 according to the stax mafia and see if you like it.

Cheers!
Did you tried the Caldera?

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #2,914 of 2,979
Feb 28, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #2,915 of 2,979
Are you sure you didn't bring a L700 mk2 or another of the black square Stax to a meetup or you are confusing me with someone else? I've been to two headfi meetups. I remember trying the L700(or another black square Stax) which had great bass, then going to a Shang Jr, I was surprised at how much better the bass was on the L700 vs the Shang jr because the Shang was so much more expensive, this was waiting in line for the X9000 listening out of I think a modded 717? Then I got to hear that finally out of the Blue Hawaii. Unless my memory is failing me.
The L700 and SGL Jr were mine, running off of a modded SRM-006t. The X9000 wasn't at that meet.

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #2,916 of 2,979

The second Headfi meetup I went too I just heard your X9000 again.

It keeps the bass of the 007 but makes them sound more immediate and closer to your ears. I tried some Dekoni pads that completely ruined the bass because there was no seal.
I think you mixed me up with SolarCetacean. My system is x9k and 007 ran off a BHSE.

Mar 20, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #2,918 of 2,979
Now that I've owned the X9000 for a month and a half, it's fun to look back on this thread and compare my current impressions with those of others over the years and my own previous impressions. And I've played around with EQ, though I'm not sure if I've found a perfect setting yet.

A recurring theme of impressions is that the X9000 is very sensitive, both to the mastering of the track and to the equipment it's on. On the music, it's so detailed that it changes character substantially based on what's playing, particularly in terms of the forwardness of vocals and lead instruments vs background sounds. I think one can look at this in two ways: either it's :sparkles: revealing :sparkles: or it's just inconsistent.

On chain differences, I can only speak to the chains that I've heard. I find that the X9000 doesn't pair well with my Ferrum Erco. The Erco has a punchy and dynamic sound, but it also brings elements closer in. With the Shangri-la Jr, that was a desirable trait as it compensated for the Jr's recessed midrange, but on the X9000 it combined with the forward vocals to flatten out the spatial image. I've read descriptions of the X9000 having "2D" imaging like sounds are in a line from ear to ear, and I get more of that on the Erco + 006t chain than my K9 Pro + 353x chain. It's like vocals are imaged too wide on the Erco and that vocal width collapses the soundstage forward and the depth is lost. On the K9 Pro, which is by most accounts a "weaker" DAC, I get more sense of a 3D image with proper depth.

I'm curious on the Erco Gen 2 upgrade, as the switch to an advanced apodizing reconstruction filter is supposed to improve the spatial separation and imaging. I hope to get the upgrade moving as soon as Ferrum's US distributor gets back to me. That brings me to my first impressions on the holographic spatial presentation of the X9000; I had done my long demo on a Chord DAC, and I hear that Chord is known for their holographic rendering of sounds. Perhaps my first impression was partially formed by the Hugo TT2's spatial rendering coming through on the X9000.

I'm curious on getting the LTA Z10e for the X9000. I heard it and the upcoming LTA Aero tube DAC at the recent DC meet and I liked what I heard, though of course meet demoes in an unexpectedly small room aren't the best. There was more bass presence on the Z10e compared to my CCS-modded 006t. I've read some people not liking the Z10e, but I didn't find any problem with it. And LTA is based half an hour away from me, so demoing is easy and I might as well support a local business.

-------------------
On EQ, I tried all of the settings that I could find in this thread. I found one preset for a tilted diffuse field tuning done on a 5128, and that preset is bright as heck! I don't find the X9000 to be bright, but this EQ setting will make it bright and sparkly. I don't know if it's actually better though; it feels like turning up the saturation slider on an image; every color pops, but I don't actually get any more detail from it. And it's tonally a tad too bright even for me.

I tried out Royal Navy's EQ preset and I found it to introduce the "hash" that's common with Harman-tuned headphones. It's a rumbly, crinkly sound that permeates the music, kind of like crumpling a plastic wrapper, and I find that it comes from having too much ear gain vs upper treble. The stock X9000 tuning is just as detailed, but without the hash.

I tried out the EQ preset from Dynamo5561 and I thought it was a bit dull. I don't have a problem with the 3K peak; a sine sweep barely registers a peak there to my ears, so while reducing that area did soften the sound a bit, it also dulled it and it didn't actually solve my main issue with the sound which is the overly forward vocals. Also, the massive 10 dB boost in the lowest octave does very little to the sound IMO. Bass did not get meaningfully better. And spectral analysis of my music shows little below 35 Hz anyways, even EDM where electronic percussion generally bottoms out around 40 Hz. So I didn't benefit from all of that sub-bass, nor could I hear it. He mentioned that his EQ was meant to preserve the original character of the X9K while smoothing out the edges, and I agree that's what it does, but I don't need the extra smoothness.

I thought bnb110's EQ preset with the cut at 1100 Hz was the best of the bunch. It didn't actually move vocals that much further out, but it shrank their width and made them "rounded" vs "flat". Like imagine holding a piece of paper flat in front of your face, then bending the edges outwards. That's the difference that cutting the 1.1K region did to vocals. It gave them a bit more spatial depth. I added another small boost at 2100 Hz to prevent the wide 1100 Hz cut from affecting the presence region and that avoided the collateral damage from the midrange cut.

The thing with EQ is that it's easy to make the sound different, but it's hard to make the sound better, at least when starting at such a high level already. All of the EQ presets were clearly different from one another, but compared to no EQ, I found it hard to say that they were improvements to the sound, especially after general level matching. Tonally, I find the X9000 so agreeable stock that it's difficult to find the right spot to EQ. I don't lack for bass, the midrange is tonally fine (just a bit too wide and forward spatially), and the treble is neither too dark nor too bright for me. So I'm trying to EQ technicalities, and that's hard to do. All the better, it means I don't need to be chained to a computer to enjoy the X9000!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #2,919 of 2,979
You listed a lot of EQs, someone should send their x9000 to the people who run AutoEQ. They will measure it and make a Harmon Target EQ as well as others, very reputable people. People send in their headphones all the time

https://autoeq.app/

Mar 20, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #2,920 of 2,979
watch out for those Jensen oil caps, I had some of the same bought about 9 years ago and they are leaking
di you know the exact model/spec you had?

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #2,921 of 2,979
I will be sending my X9000 (and SR-007) to Mitch at Accurate Sound in March to create a convolution filter for it. So everyone here should have access to a perfectly flat EQ by April.

I also have a pair of MiniDSP EARS I've been meaning to do some sweeps on in the meantime, and I want to do some sweeps on my head and adjust by ear.

I am looking forward to the X9000 measurements and the EQ settings! Please do let us know what you get.

Will it be possible to compare the Accurate Sound measurements with measurementns from the miniDSP EARS? I wonder how consistent they are.

Mar 30, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #2,923 of 2,979
What’s the wait time in Japan right now?

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #2,925 of 2,979
Do you live in Japan? Even if you don’t you can order them online and have them sent to you.

PM’ed you with more info

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back