Stax SR-X9000
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #2,958 of 2,986
I had written previously about how I didn't like the Ferrum Erco with the X9000, that it was too forward and it caused the soundstage to lose its depth and flatten out. I finally got my Erco upgraded to the Erco Gen 2 and that upgrade fixed those issues. There is still some forwardness to the sound depending on the mastering of the track as that's just part of the headphone's tuning, but sounds now have the proper layering and spatial volume that I heard when I demoed the X9000 with the Hugo TT2. Forward-mixed vocals no longer have the "stretched too wide" sensation and the localization of sounds improves. The improved digital filter and I/V converter in the Gen 2 reduces "shimmer" or "hash" in the treble, which cleans it up and makes finer details easier to perceive and the X9000 readily shows off that improved resolution. And the characteristic punchiness and dynamics of Ferrum gear is retained which adds a nice amount of impact and even a bit of perceived sub-bass to the X9000's sound. I don't think I've enjoyed the X9000 at home as much as I have in the past 3 days with the Erco Gen 2.

I had been considering getting a Hugo 2 as a stopgap measure in hopes that the "Chord sound" has better layering and spatial rendering for the X9000, but I don't think that's necessary anymore. All of the spatial layering that I recall from the Hugo TT2 is there on the Erco 2. So now I think I'll pivot towards exploring NOS/R2R DACs like the Holo Cyan 2 or the LTA Aero tube DAC.

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #2,961 of 2,986
Yeah, we both agree the grille reflects sound away from the driver. I'm just taking another step and theorizing this has an effect on soundstage and may even have a mild crossover effect with the sound being redirected out in front of you. Give it a try on your pair sometime, hold your hands on the side of your face, blocking the sound coming out of the front of the X9000, but leaving the sides completely open. When I do this I do notice a mild change.

I have a pair of EARS and have been meaning to mess around with them and the X9000 for a while now, just been busy. Maybe this week I'll play around a bit? Lots of experiments I have in mind.
1) Grilles removed
2) Grille sides covered with foam/fabric
3) Grille fronts covered with foam/fabric/tape
4) Different positionings since the earcup on the X9000 is so large and variable
5) Various pad adjustments including creating a gap with foam pieces
Seen early version (for medias) of x9000 do have 009-like mesh materials instead of thin mesh as with our retail version. That might boost the lower end a bit.

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #2,962 of 2,986
New to x9000. Anyone has good match amp choices other than BHSE and super expensive VIVA or T2?

Welcome to the club of trying to navigate the world of estat amps where people are using 30 year old gear due to a lack of new products.

According to the "Stax Mafia" the Stax 717 is the best amp Stax ever made so I picked one up used for waaaay less then a BHSE or a Carbon CC while I considered other options.

Topping was sending out the CRBN with the EAH5 so I am going to assume it has enough power to drive the X9000 and you can get one used for like $300.

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #2,963 of 2,986
Welcome to the club of trying to navigate the world of estat amps where people are using 30 year old gear due to a lack of new products.

According to the "Stax Mafia" the Stax 717 is the best amp Stax ever made so I picked one up used for waaaay less then a BHSE or a Carbon CC while I considered other options.

Topping was sending out the CRBN with the EAH5 so I am going to assume it has enough power to drive the X9000 and you can get one used for like $300.
Thanks! I am running with EHA5 right now. It runs fine with 009 and x9000 but I for sure want more :) 717 might be a good choice. Previously I tried with 727 + a preamp but it somehow has a lot of background noise so I let go.

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #2,964 of 2,986
New to x9000. Anyone has good match amp choices other than BHSE and super expensive VIVA or T2?
Im using srm 700s, which I guess is the latest version of the 717. I find it much better in direct mode ( by-passing the in built in volume control), so if you’ve got a good pre or quality digital attenuation, I’d use that. I also made the mistake of running it out of a extension socket (for a time, needs must) but getting it powered directly from the wall socket with a diy 30 amp mains lead (Belden) made a big difference, which is no surprise really!

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #2,965 of 2,986
Im using srm 700s, which I guess is the latest version of the 717. I find it much better in direct mode ( by-passing the in built in volume control), so if you’ve got a good pre or quality digital attenuation, I’d use that. I also made the mistake of running it out of a extension socket (for a time, needs must) but getting it powered directly from the wall socket with a diy 30 amp mains lead (Belden) made a big difference, which is no surprise really!
Thanks for the info! Didn't know belden make these though.

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #2,966 of 2,986
Thanks for the info! Didn't know belden make these though.
It’s Belden 19364, good quality screened power cable, good value basic stuff. No idea if it’s the cable that makes the difference or removing the 4 gang socket from the equation. I’m in the uk where mains wiring uses “fused” wall plugs so by running off an extension socket I was running through 2 fused plugs, so I suspect getting one of them out of the chain to the amp helped significantly.

Apr 26, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #2,969 of 2,986
Hope there could be a end-game tier amp at BHSE price point for x9000...
We're splitting hairs at this particular mountain peak (I still love Carbon with x9000, in spite of them having "bad" synergy), but I believe the word you're searching for is "Megatron" :)

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #2,970 of 2,986
A power cable makes no difference lol, let alone on something so low powered… Open your amp up if you want to see the “boutique” normal wiring being used inside your amps or hell rip down your dry wall and check out the exotic wire running through your walls and switch board 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back