Stax SR-X9000
Mar 3, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #2,327 of 2,979
I am not familiar with the Carbon amps so I looked it up and see that there are several manufactures from different countries who make a Carbon electrostatic amplifier. The 1st one I came up with is from China, with some very good reviews and a very good price. Any observations impressions on the different Carbons, or is there a thread about them?
I have enjoyed Soren's amps. His Carbon and Megatron are both great fits for different headphones. And he's affordable enough that I could get both of the above in the first place:)

Mar 3, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #2,328 of 2,979
Birgir (Mjolnir) build quality is excellent and he’s very good to deal with. More expensive. Value is subjective but I’m very happy with it. Ordered few things from him and asked his advice on others.

Coincidentally, I met Birgir at CanJam past weekend, fountain of knowledge and very personable. Was nice

Mar 3, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #2,329 of 2,979
Birgir (Mjolnir) build quality is excellent and he’s very good to deal with. More expensive. Value is subjective but I’m very happy with it. Ordered few things from him and asked his advice on others.

Coincidentally, I met Birgir at CanJam past weekend, fountain of knowledge and very personable. Was nice
An absolute gem of a person. So is Kerry. And Dr. Gilmore is very accommodating.
We Stax enthusiasts are very fortunate

Mar 3, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #2,330 of 2,979
An absolute gem of a person. So is Kerry. And Dr. Gilmore is very accommodating.
We Stax enthusiasts are very fortunate
Very!
Kerry is a good friend and my neighbor (by chance). Always love visiting him at CanJams.

Mar 4, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #2,331 of 2,979
At the very least, avoid JR Audio (china) and Felitsa/FLS (vietnam.)

I had a KGSSHV Carbon built by @headinclouds which was great.
My Carbon is built by @johnwillmclean and I love it!

Would love to meet these legends! We Stax aficionados are indeed spoilt!

Mar 11, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #2,335 of 2,979
Mine was a 15XX. Yeah… it is disappointing that Stax does not seem to be able to produce a flagship that is reliable. At least Headamp was good about keeping you updated. In Singapore, Project Perfection (the Dita owners) are not so good or transparent. Nor very helpful. I reckon when someone has been the AD for so long, a certain degree of hubris creeps in.

As an update, I am still waiting to see my X9K which has been away since beginning December for the driver imbalance issues. The SG authorised distributors Project Perfection (the Dita owners) had updated, after I had the retailer complain about the lack of responses, by saying they had then checked with Stax, and plans were for it to have the drivers replaced and tested and sent back in early March. One does wonder if Project Perfection and/or Stax even took any steps until the repeated chasing by the retailer came to a head. Now that early March has come around, Project Perfection has been ghosting the retailer! Grrr!

Poor poor customer experience from Project Perfection in Singapore! 😡

Caveat emptor for Stax buyers in Singapore.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #2,336 of 2,979
As an update, I am still waiting to see my X9K which has been away since beginning December for the driver imbalance issues. The SG authorised distributors Project Perfection (the Dita owners) had updated, after I had the retailer complain about the lack of responses, by saying they had then checked with Stax, and plans were for it to have the drivers replaced and tested and sent back in early March. One does wonder if Project Perfection and/or Stax even took any steps until the repeated chasing by the retailer came to a head. Now that early March has come around, Project Perfection has been ghosting the retailer! Grrr!

Poor poor customer experience from Project Perfection in Singapore! 😡

Caveat emptor for Stax buyers in Singapore.
Trouble in paradise perfection? That's poor form given that they need to really step up after what happened between them and FiR!

Mar 11, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #2,337 of 2,979
Trouble in paradise perfection? That's poor form given that they need to really step up after what happened between them and FiR!
Yeah... hubris is my guess... On another note, they sent 2 degraded replacement ear pads for the Final Audio Sonorous X in a row as well... standards have really slipped!

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #2,338 of 2,979
I have a chance to trade + cash to get the x9000 back, and really would like to. I am a bit concerned about the imbalance issues. I'll be really frustrated if I ended up selling a perfect pair just to end up dealing with the issue on the second go round. Besides replacing/fixing them, have they said anything about preventing the issue in future headphones?

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #2,339 of 2,979
here is my list from best to worse for driving X9K, i have owned all amps and tested them with different sources

1.Stax SRM-212S modified with AN Kaisei NP + linear power supply ultra low noise and with some other modifications
2. Energon amp with KT-66 tubes
3. Novem
4.High-amp sirius v9
5.Carbon/Mjölnir'
6.Stax 700S
7.D50
8.Stax SRM-212S

The modefied 212S, i tried many different options and lastly made my decision purely by my ears .For me this is the best available amp for X9K.
Not heard T2 yet. Add a good powercord for the supply it's a fine tuned chain, i use Audioquest

so the top of that list is a 212, with +/-250v rails and only 1mA CCS current in the output stage? ( you did not mention upping the CCS current in your mods)

does that mean the 9000 doesn't need that much voltage swing? It makes me wonder if a lower-voltage-higher-current 006t might be a good fit for it. (say, drop the 006t HV rails to +/-250v, install 6n6p, and bias to 10mA per section)

Mar 12, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #2,340 of 2,979
I have a chance to trade + cash to get the x9000 back, and really would like to. I am a bit concerned about the imbalance issues. I'll be really frustrated if I ended up selling a perfect pair just to end up dealing with the issue on the second go round. Besides replacing/fixing them, have they said anything about preventing the issue in future headphones?
One of the reasons I'm holding back on buying one although it's at the top of my things to buy list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back