Stax SR-X9000
Feb 20, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #2,296 of 3,032
frankly the idea of waiting 11 months and then finally receiving the unit only to have it malfunction is totally unacceptable in so many ways..almost comical to be honest

Feb 20, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #2,297 of 3,032
Anyone knows why this imbalance problems are happening? What's the cause?

In my Stax T8000 I have separated volume controls for the right and left earphone, so it would be pretty easy to correct any small imbalance... not saying that a 7000$ headphone should have any.

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #2,298 of 3,032
Anyone knows why this imbalance problems are happening? What's the cause?

In my Stax T8000 I have separated volume controls for the right and left earphone, so it would be pretty easy to correct any small imbalance... not saying that a 7000$ headphone should have any.
Fine-tuning of left and right volumes can be used with a Stax amplifier.

However, fine-tuning is not possible with third-party amplifiers. So it seems to be a problem.

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #2,300 of 3,032
frankly the idea of waiting 11 months and then finally receiving the unit only to have it malfunction is totally unacceptable in so many ways..almost comical to be honest
This the reality you must accept with electrostat headphones.

Feb 20, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #2,301 of 3,032
The balance issues are unacceptable, but the reality is that Stax is a very small company, making things by hand - and demand is through the roof, relatively speaking. In this scenario, the wait times are about what you'd expect. We're used to Amazon delivering junk the next day whenever we feel like it, but when you deal with a small business making low-volume products this is the norm.

I'm more surprised that Headamp had the inventory to replace one set right away, tbh.

Feb 20, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #2,302 of 3,032
Feb 22, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #2,303 of 3,032
To add to the numerous (fantastic) inputs above.

I just watched Rob Watts interview with Soundview from about a week ago, a wonderfully knoweledgable developer (I had the pleasure of spending a couple of hours chatting with him pre CanJam Chicago and learned a ton). He is discussing specifically his view on where the DAC, clock, and streamer come into play in affecting sound quality.

Relevant part is between minute 9:41-11:30, and then minutes 45:15-51:50:

The full interview is about an hour, and a very enjoyable listen.

Very telling that the head developer for one of the more expensive DAC businesses basically rolls his eyes at the question of "Can a better streamer be built?" I'm all for SQ upgrades, but the often accurate "source is most important" argument doesn't seem to apply to streamers with any consistency.

By the way, lots of recent posts about channel imbalances...has anyone tried slapping the side of the can with the imbalance?

I had a massive imbalance and was ready to return my set, but it turned out the driver was stuck to the stator. I haven't had any problems since the "smack mod".

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #2,304 of 3,032
@orrm have you tried antipodes streamers? I assume that brand of streamer shall match well with good synergies with your Wavedream by adding more dimensions, increasing the clarity and cleanness as well as nuances. :) Personally speaking it is not my preferred brand with my systems but I recognize what it does well and many owners also enjoy using K50 with Chord Dave as well as with other DACs such as Playback Designs and MSB.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #2,305 of 3,032
@orrm have you tried antipodes streamers? I assume that brand of streamer shall match well with good synergies with your Wavedream by adding more dimensions, increasing the clarity and cleanness as well as nuances. Feel free to check in with antipodes owners:) Personally speaking it is not my preferred brand with my cans but I recognize what it does well and many owners use K50 with Chord Dave as well as with other DACs such as Playback Designs and MSB.
will reply in private to keep this thread on topic

Feb 23, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #2,306 of 3,032
will reply in private to keep this thread on topic
My apologies I thought that is what is being discussed about one designer’s opinion over if streamers can increase sound quality.

PS. I never worship any individual expert, designer, no matter how industry leading or dominant in the community, I only resort to my ears.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #2,308 of 3,032
Great review! I am using the KGSSHV Carbon built by @johnwillmclean and I am in love with both the build and sound! Great match for the SR-X9000!

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #2,309 of 3,032
Yesterday I had the good fortune spend a couple of hours listening to music with a friend who has a setup incl Stax SR-X9000 and an amazing tube amp. It sounded pretty, pretty good :ksc75smile:

Having owned Stax many years ago I never thought that they would evolve to this. Congrats to all of you enjoying music with one of the absolute finest headphones ever :beerchug:

IMHO.

Mar 1, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #2,310 of 3,032
Yesterday I had the good fortune spend a couple of hours listening to music with a friend who has a setup incl Stax SR-X9000 and an amazing tube amp. It sounded pretty, pretty good :ksc75smile:

Having owned Stax many years ago I never thought that they would evolve to this. Congrats to all of you enjoying music with one of the absolute finest headphones ever :beerchug:

IMHO.
Indeed! It is special especially for jazz and classical. Amazing sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back