Stax SR-X9000
Mar 1, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #2,311 of 3,037
Yesterday I had the good fortune spend a couple of hours listening to music with a friend who has a setup incl Stax SR-X9000 and an amazing tube amp. It sounded pretty, pretty good :ksc75smile:

Having owned Stax many years ago I never thought that they would evolve to this. Congrats to all of you enjoying music with one of the absolute finest headphones ever :beerchug:

IMHO.
What amplifier was that one?

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 1, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #2,312 of 3,037
What amplifier was that one?
It’s a big Kevin Gilmore-based design with separate PSU.

I got so caught up in the headphones and music that I forgot about the gear :smile:

Edit: ”Stax T2”

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #2,314 of 3,037
Really enjoying the SR-X9000 so far. Been sniffing around for someone selling a BHSE as I'm reading it's a good combo. I have a Carbon currently. PM me if you're thinking about selling yours. :)
You’ll be disappointed. Neither the BHSE nor Carbon are great matches from my experience.

I only have found the Novem a good fit so far. Others say megatron and T2.

Skip the side grade.

Mar 3, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #2,315 of 3,037
Really enjoying the SR-X9000 so far. Been sniffing around for someone selling a BHSE as I'm reading it's a good combo. I have a Carbon currently. PM me if you're thinking about selling yours. :)
I am enjoying the BHSE with the X9000. Is there a better amp for the X9000? Isn’t there always something better ? The new Headamp GC has my attention now, but I think that the BHSE is a very musical combination with the X9000. The big thing that has been pointed out here in the past is that systems and personal preferences vary and should be considered.

Mar 3, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #2,316 of 3,037
If you already have a Carbon I will agree the BHSE will be a side grade. Different flavors however both at the same level. At least that is what I found.

Mar 3, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #2,317 of 3,037

If you already have a Carbon I will agree the BHSE will be a side grade. Different flavors however both at the same level. At least that is what I found.
I have to agree about the absolute performance of these amps. But they are different sounding as you suggested and a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #2,318 of 3,037
I am not familiar with the Carbon amps so I looked it up and see that there are several manufactures from different countries who make a Carbon electrostatic amplifier. The 1st one I came up with is from China, with some very good reviews and a very good price. Any observations impressions on the different Carbons, or is there a thread about them?

Mar 3, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #2,319 of 3,037
PERSONALLY speaking I would stay away from anything China for reasons that a little headfi/headcase sleuthing will tell you.

My money is on Birgir at Mjolnir. It is partially his design (and Dr. Gilmore’s) after all. Why not go directly to the source?

Mar 3, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #2,320 of 3,037
Agree, it's different flavors. I found the x9000 with the BHSE excellent. It tends to accentuate the x9000's innate qualities--openness, resolution, holographic nature, etc. I personally slightly preferred the Aeras, as it adds a bit more warmth, weight and bottom end--again slight differences. Ultimately it depends on what you're looking for or what you like. I think the big challenge is it's really hard to get a chance to demo stat amps vs. dynamic amps which are more readily available.

Mar 3, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #2,321 of 3,037
I am not familiar with the Carbon amps so I looked it up and see that there are several manufactures from different countries who make a Carbon electrostatic amplifier. The 1st one I came up with is from China, with some very good reviews and a very good price. Any observations impressions on the different Carbons, or is there a thread about them?
At the very least, avoid JR Audio (china) and Felitsa/FLS (vietnam.)

I had a KGSSHV Carbon built by @headinclouds which was great.

Mar 3, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #2,322 of 3,037
At the very least, avoid JR Audio (china) and Felitsa/FLS (vietnam.)

I had a KGSSHV Carbon built by @headinclouds which was great.
It was JR Audio I was looking at. Issues? I have product from all over the world and even my good Swiss watches can be an issue but in general, for obvious reasons, I like reputable products.

Mar 3, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #2,323 of 3,037
It was JR Audio I was looking at. Issues? I have product from all over the world and even my good Swiss watches can be an issue but in general, for obvious reasons, I like reputable products.
I'll PM you as I can't link to the posts directly.

Mar 3, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #2,324 of 3,037
From what can be read in the forums, JR Audio and Felitsa definetely should be avoided.
Only reputable builders for Carbon (and other KG amps) I'm aware of are Soren Brix (Dennark) and Mjolnir (Iceland). Mjolnir providing a very similar quality to Soren for roughly double the price. Mjonir has a homepage, but Soren not. He has to be contacted by mail/phone or via forum. I can highly recommend his builds. I have/had already two amps from him and were testing his Carbon as well.

Mar 3, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #2,325 of 3,037
From what can be read in the forums, JR Audio and Felitsa definetely should be avoided.
Only reputable builders for Carbon (and other KG amps) I'm aware of are Soren Brix (Dennark) and Mjolnir (Iceland). Mjolnir providing a very similar quality to Soren for roughly double the price. Mjonir has a homepage, but Soren not. He has to be contacted by mail/phone or via forum. I can highly recommend his builds. I have/had already two amps from him and were testing his Carbon as well.
Interesting. Contacting Soren is by this forum or he has a forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back