Stax SR-X9000
Mar 14, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #2,356 of 2,985
Lack of bass, lack of macro dynamics, shouting mids hmmmmm...
And I decided order and still waiting...
Hope a good decision. But seems without EQ it’s not good.
Nothing new here. For god knows what reason you’re still trolling the X9K board.

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #2,357 of 2,985
Lack of bass, lack of macro dynamics, shouting mids hmmmmm...
And I decided order and still waiting...
Hope a good decision. But seems without EQ its not good.

You've posted this maybe 50 times in this thread without hearing them lol. It will be no surprise when you finally do and crap all over them lol

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #2,358 of 2,985
I think that if you like the Susvara you're likely going to like the X9000. That's how I feel about both of them at least.
Not so sure about getting the slam though. I don't think that's something that you can simply solve with EQ.
Yes the movement of the air mass is maybe a tad too little in the X9000. Same with SR009s I was not able to get such a bass kick then with an planar magnetic.

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #2,360 of 2,985
I finally ordered. And you sold the statement product you praising so....hm....

Good luck. Really expensive price tag just to hate buy something lol

Mar 14, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #2,362 of 2,985
I've noticed a thin line of tiny debris forming on the bottom inside of the cups...Mostly small bits of hair, maybe dandruff or skin flakes but I'm not exactly sure.
I'm a little concerned that these small bits might make their way through the mesh and into the driver.

Is this something I should address, or is the mesh fine enough that only dust would really pose a problem?

If I should clean it out, would a small pen-sized vacuum be the best method?
I've seen in other threads where suction is not advised with estats, but I also don't want to risk puncturing the mesh by sweeping it with a qtip or something, so I'm curious what would work besides suction.

Thanks!

Mar 14, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #2,363 of 2,985
I've noticed a thin line of tiny debris forming on the bottom inside of the cups...Mostly small bits of hair, maybe dandruff or skin flakes but I'm not exactly sure.
I'm a little concerned that these small bits might make their way through the mesh and into the driver.

Is this something I should address, or is the mesh fine enough that only dust would really pose a problem?

If I should clean it out, would a small pen-sized vacuum be the best method?
I've seen in other threads where suction is not advised with estats, but I also don't want to risk puncturing the mesh by sweeping it with a qtip or something, so I'm curious what would work besides suction.

Thanks!
Totally common to happen. Just blow it out.

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #2,364 of 2,985
Very interesting and again I know that was the case for some others so I totally hear you and am not at all invalidating how you find them to be. I also talk to a lot of people on the side about potential purchases, helpful to be able to share that some people do so I can mention it. Just interesting how these things differ person to person. :)
No worries! I don't take it personal. I live in Germany so you can be very direct to me haha :ksc75smile: And in the end we are all writing monologues as no two ears hear the same.

Bright, dark, balanced, lean, smooth, fatiguing. If I would not have a X9000, I would have my doubts about these contradictorily adjectives decribing the sound signature of just one headphone. But I can follow you, and X9000 is really difficult to grab.
100%. Call me crazy but this headphone is really hard to grab as you describe it. I was not at home today, just arrived now and listening. I can't predit how the X9000 will sound with each song. Sometimes the bass is really prominent, sometimes it's extremely tight and sometimes it's loose and gets a bit into the mids. Also some tracks are laid back while others are near to sibilance. I have never experienced that before. But it sounds good and again the texture is really satisfying.

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #2,365 of 2,985
No worries! I don't take it personal. I live in Germany so you can be very direct to me haha :ksc75smile: And in the end we are all writing monologues as no two ears hear the same.

100%. Call me crazy but this headphone is really hard to grab as you describe it. I was not at home today, just arrived now and listening. I can't predit how the X9000 will sound with each song. Sometimes the bass is really prominent, sometimes it's extremely tight and sometimes it's loose and gets a bit into the mids. Also some tracks are laid back while others are near to sibilance. I have never experienced that before. But it sounds good and again the texture is really satisfying.
@Dynamo5561 if you look back in this thread you'll see my review is very similar. However, by "downgrading" from the Mjolnir carbon to a weaker all-tube amp somehow a lot of my issues were resolved. If I had to guess why, I would say that the x9000 is so sensitive that blasting it with the highest resolution/most power equipment can instead bring out an odd presentation. The 007 is the other way around, completely desensitized to minor changes, and needs to drink from straight ether like the Carbon or T2 to get a rise out of it.

Mar 15, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #2,366 of 2,985
I saw the measurements earlier in this thread (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/stax-sr-x9000.959852/page-129#post-17280895) but leveled at 1KHZ. As the FR has a peak there, it makes probably more sense to level it at 500HZ or even lower.

1678874513897.png

https://www.woodenears.com/article/85482130-04b8-4864-b71b-bcb8bbd1fb5c

But mine sounds brighter. Or at least I think so. I will try to compare to the Susvara which is borderline Harman in the treble and should sound even brighter at least according to the graph. But I also assume it's quite hard to measure the X9000.

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #2,367 of 2,985
I can't predit how the X9000 will sound with each song. Sometimes the bass is really prominent, sometimes it's extremely tight and sometimes it's loose and gets a bit into the mids. Also some tracks are laid back while others are near to sibilance.
This.

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #2,369 of 2,985
Woops my bad. Now we are getting closer. I will try some EQ based on that and see further. I like how it is tuned in stock but I get fatigued after a while so I would like to know if I can make it more friendly for longer listening sessions.

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #2,370 of 2,985
Don't want to spam the thread with measurements, but I exported the graph and compared it to the Susvara:

12013262.png

I added a 3DB subbass shelf. Just want to see if it brings more consistency into the bass. I removed the 1-3 KHZ elevation. But the pre 2KHZ elevation is responsible for the great texture in the mids. I said in my first impressions that the texture remindes me of the Odin. The Odin also has an untypical elevation starting already before 2KHZ which now makes sense to me. Therefore I will leave it and just focus on the 3-4KHZ peak and decreased that by 4DB. WIth the added bass it should shift the balance towards a less brighter tuning without messing too much and attacking the identity of the sound signature.

Whoever is interested:

Preamp: -4 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 30 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 3500 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 3

Edit: Played a bit more and this is what I ended up with (red curve):

1678912890053.png

Preamp: -10 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 10 Hz Gain 7 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 8 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 50 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 3500 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 3

The bass is really incredible now. I'd prefer it over Susvaras bass. Putting down the 3KHZ peak really helped me out getting some less fatigue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back