Stax SR-X9000
Jan 5, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #2,071 of 2,979
Well I heard some all tube amps and even 300B amps of some brands that per se are entitled to be called on the summit fi level but don’t pair well with X9000 but great with 009s/ Shang. Therefore in my opinion it is more than just all tubes or not, which isn’t the reference nor standard to determine synergy.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #2,072 of 2,979
Well I heard some all tube amps and even 300B amps that per se are entitled to be called on the summit fi level but don’t pair well with X9000. Therefore in my opinion it is more than just all tubes or not, which isn’t the reference nor standard to determine synergy.

I should have some additional feedback on pairing and another head-fi voice to provide opinion soon as I'm organizing a round 2 of the X9000 vs Sr-Omega with the following amplifiers : Novem, Aristaeus (aka hev90), T8000, and T1s

For now, it's clear to me the carbon is not a fit for the x9000 despite being a great amp for many other estats.
The BHSE is also not as synergistic as the Novem.

If I had to guess, the DHT Grand Cayman, Megatron and T2 are likely all doing (and besting) what I'm hearing with the Novem. The revelation is that the Novem is out performing several "standard" estat flagship amps at a very affordable price point.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #2,074 of 2,979
I should have some additional feedback on pairing and another head-fi voice to provide opinion soon as I'm organizing a round 2 of the X9000 vs Sr-Omega with the following amplifiers : Novem, Aristaeus (aka hev90), T8000, and T1s

For now, it's clear to me the carbon is not a fit for the x9000 despite being a great amp for many other estats.

If I had to guess, the DHT Grand Cayman, Megatron and T2 are likely all doing (and besting) what I'm hearing with the Novem. The revelation is that the Novem is out performing several "standard" estat flagship amps at a very affordable price point.
I'm curious as to what a price would be for a Novem versus a Megatron in 2023...if a Megatron could be had last year for under 5k, and a 2020 Novem was 3200, then will there even be a price gap between the two today?

Jan 5, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #2,075 of 2,979
A feature wich not often comes to mind if listening only with one amp.

The Novem amp fit's the X9K in that sense that it presents a "right size" to X9K. My other tube amp, double mono design, presents a huge soundstage much more than Novem but the problem comes here.

If you listen from Tidal Elin Furubotn det som e nå - venn med sorgen, you hear with Novem the studio walls, and with the other amp with huge soundstage the studio walls disappear because of the wrong "size" to X9K. Novem has the ability to keep everything together with X9K and it delivers perfect harmonic imaging , depht and widht are in perfect relation to each other. With Carbon the soundstage geometry is off, widht and depht are not in harmony and add to it Ferrrari type speed the result is that all musical views were you are passing by remain largely unseen

Jan 5, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #2,076 of 2,979
I'm curious as to what a price would be for a Novem versus a Megatron in 2023...if a Megatron could be had last year for under 5k, and a 2020 Novem was 3200, then will there even be a price gap between the two today?

My understanding is that from Mjolnir audio the Novem will be around $3500-4000 and a Megatron closer to $9,000.
Birgir has said he is making a new batch of both. I think he only made 5 or less of each in the previous batch. His builds tend to be more expensive than a lot of the DIY guys (and the craftsmanship shows inside & out) but with something like the Novem, there is no current alternative.
He claims the megatron will be more neutral- so perhaps it’s not really the same linage of the Novem sonically.

A feature wich not often comes to mind if listening only with one amp.

The Novem amp fit's the X9K in that sense that it presents a "right size" to X9K. My other tube amp, double mono design, presents a huge soundstage much more than Novem but the problem comes here.

If you listen from Tidal Elin Furubotn det som e nå - venn med sorgen, you hear with Novem the studio walls, and with the other amp with huge soundstage the studio walls disappear because of the wrong "size" to X9K. Novem has the ability to keep everything together with X9K and it delivers perfect harmonic imaging , depht and widht are in perfect relation to each other. With Carbon the soundstage geometry is off, widht and depht are not in harmony and add to it Ferrrari type speed the result is that all musical views were you are passing by remain largely unseen
This is almost exactly what I’m hearing as well.
On the Carbon the x9000 feels like two really far away data points (left and right) and then this weird recessed midrange. Bass is tight but thin. Details are overboard. Flavor is a bit brighter than I’d like. This surprised me because with the 009s I found the KGST brighter and less bassy than the Carbon.

On the Novem the stage is a little smaller and more diffused. The clarity is still there but it feels cohesive. Midrange is pushed forward and fills the center. Bass is much heavier and has a bit of texture now. The x9000 behaves a lot more like the omega or even the 007, but with a modern touch. I’m impressed all around with the synergy.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #2,077 of 2,979
As mentioned some time ago, I could listen and compare x9000 with Carbon, Grounded Grid, Megatron (all from Soren, top notch inside and outside), SRM007tA (6S4A, CCS mod, which brings it close to KGST circuit design). GG sound seems to differ to BHSE only in nuances, with preference towards GG, according to some who owned/built both.

Overall the best synergy with x9000 (in fact all my Staxes) I found with Megatron, and thats why I decided to keep x9000. The full bodied presentation without a lot of bloom suits it very well. While being softer in tone, it still has that energy, dynamics and extension, it is just less edgy, "aggressive". The wide soundstage is one of the strong points of MT, but while having my issues with the soundstage of x9000 on certain tracks, I cannot say it did not fit together with MT.
Soundstage on GG I also liked a lot, very 3D and even more pinpoint than MT. Maybe comes closer what Chefguru and Thinker seem to prefer for x9000. Soundstage on Carbon is more 2D in comparison, more wide than deep.
I agree, that Carbon is very precise sounding, dry in comparison and neutral with very good extension on both ends. But from a holistic view, if timbre is also factored, I find Megatron being equaly neutral, but more enjoyable.
Interesting to hear what is charged for a Megatron made in Iceland. Is an RK50 and NOS XF2s included? On the other hand, 9k for 9k, makes sense:wink:

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #2,078 of 2,979
As mentioned some time ago, I could listen and compare x9000 with Carbon, Grounded Grid, Megatron (all from Soren, top notch inside and outside), SRM007tA (6S4A, CCS mod, which brings it close to KGST circuit design). GG sound seems to differ to BHSE only in nuances, with preference towards GG, according to some who owned/built both.

Overall the best synergy with x9000 (in fact all my Staxes) I found with Megatron, and thats why I decided to keep x9000. The full bodied presentation without a lot of bloom suits it very well. While being softer in tone, it still has that energy, dynamics and extension, it is just less edgy, "aggressive". The wide soundstage is one of the strong points of MT, but while having my issues with the soundstage of x9000 on certain tracks, I cannot say it did not fit together with MT.
Soundstage on GG I also liked a lot, very 3D and even more pinpoint than MT. Maybe comes closer what Chefguru and Thinker seem to prefer for x9000. Soundstage on Carbon is more 2D in comparison, more wide than deep.
I agree, that Carbon is very precise sounding, dry in comparison and neutral with very good extension on both ends. But from a holistic view, if timbre is also factored, I find Megatron being equaly neutral, but more enjoyable.
Interesting to hear what is charged for a Megatron made in Iceland. Is an RK50 and NOS XF2s included? On the other hand, 9k for 9k, makes sense:wink:
Unfortunately for our data points I have only heard the x9k on carbon, bhse and the Novem. The bhse and the Carbon were fairly similar experiences.

The Novem is a colored amp, but somehow that’s exactly what the x9k needs. Naturally the headphone already does an excellent job with clarity/separation/soundstage. That extra bit of heft to the bass, warmth to the timber and forwardness of the voicing, does a lot to make it fun.

The headamp aristaeus might also make for a good match.

Jan 5, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #2,079 of 2,979
On the Carbon the x9000 feels like two really far away data points (left and right) and then this weird recessed midrange. Bass is tight but thin. Details are overboard. Flavor is a bit brighter than I’d like.
This reminds me of some of Spritzer's criticisms of the X9K. He said it suffered from 3-blob imaging and was too bright. He listened to it on his Carbon CC. He blamed the imaging on the angling of the outer grill of the headphone, but maybe it was his Carbon that imparted the effect. IIRC the Carbon was designed for the 007 and the 009; I haven't heard either, but I've read many reviews saying that both of those don't have that large of a soundstage, and the power of the Carbon adds soundstage to those headphones (Spritzer himself says that the Carbon improves soundstage). But that likely doesn't work well with a headphone that has an innately large soundstage.

I recall that one of the Stax engineers said that the X9K was designed with their T8000 amp in mind. I don't think I've ever read anyone saying that the X9K sounded better on the T8000 than on any of the 3rd party amps, but if the X9K was designed for a lower-powered, less clean amp, then it might be that the Carbon is just too clean and powerful for the X9K's design.

Jan 5, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #2,080 of 2,979
This reminds me of some of Spritzer's criticisms of the X9K. He said it suffered from 3-blob imaging and was too bright. He listened to it on his Carbon CC. He blamed the imaging on the angling of the outer grill of the headphone, but maybe it was his Carbon that imparted the effect. IIRC the Carbon was designed for the 007 and the 009; I haven't heard either, but I've read many reviews saying that both of those don't have that large of a soundstage, and the power of the Carbon adds soundstage to those headphones (Spritzer himself says that the Carbon improves soundstage). But that likely doesn't work well with a headphone that has an innately large soundstage.

I recall that one of the Stax engineers said that the X9K was designed with their T8000 amp in mind. I don't think I've ever read anyone saying that the X9K sounded better on the T8000 than on any of the 3rd party amps, but if the X9K was designed for a lower-powered, less clean amp, then it might be that the Carbon is just too clean and powerful for the X9K's design.

This seems to be the case for me. The Carbon does provide a bit more soundstage for the 009S (vs KGST), 007 (vs all else), and the LNS (vs Novem). This is not what the x9000 needs at all. The x9000 off the Novem still has a much bigger soundstage than the 007 off the Carbon, but it now feels cohesive and tied together.

The irony is that Spritzer, who thinks the x9k is a dud, has created the ideal synergistic amp for it. I told him he needs to take a little more credit for his success with the Novem and he agreed lol.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #2,081 of 2,979
My experience withy be Carbon is different. I don’t find it too bright at all, and I find the X9k imaging with it fantastic.

My problem with the X9k is in fact opposite - I find the bass bleeds a little too much, and I’d want to find a way to get it tighter and under more control. If I went into an upgrade path (not a current top priority) I’d actually look for an amp with better bass control. I like the mids and treble just as they are on the Carbon.

I love the Carbon with my 007mk1, as well as LNS and HE-60.

The T2 is wonderful. But I need to try at some point and do some side-by-side testing with the Carbon. Kerri is a neighbor I should really find a way to do that some point :wink:

Super curious about the Novem now… interesting to watch out for this purported new Mjolnir run.. thanks for this info!

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #2,082 of 2,979
Unfortunately for our data points I have only heard the x9k on carbon, bhse and the Novem. The bhse and the Carbon were fairly similar experiences.

The Novem is a colored amp, but somehow that’s exactly what the x9k needs.
Naturally the headphone already does an excellent job with clarity/separation/soundstage. That extra bit of heft to the bass, warmth to the timber and forwardness of the voicing, does a lot to make it fun.

The headamp aristaeus might also make for a good match.
that's exactly right ,colored amps is asked when driving X9K to it's best, to make critical listening with Novem the amp must be warmed up at least 20 minutes. I use Judy Spotheim passive preamp infront of Novem, have turned volume on max and adjust it through it. I can make straight comparisons with diffrent amps this way. Novem
is critical on input tubes, i say it again, they are part of the chain. Old Mullard or smooth Holland Nos tubes are best.

IMG_1659.jpeg

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #2,083 of 2,979

Hi, and sorry, but I cannot agree with the considerations on the X9k Carbon combo.
For my taste the Mjölnir Carbon is not only a brillant estat amplifier in general, for my ears and taste it is also a perfect match for the X9k.

And I also cannot follow the wonky (??) impressions on the X9k itself.
I highly adore the sound and also the spatial presentation of the X9k and especially the combo with Mjölnir Carbon.
I own several Stax (X9k, 007Mk1, 009, different lambdas) and amps for them (SS and tube) and for my personal valuation, the Carbon+X9k is a SQ league above 007Mk1 or 009, even when these are also combined with the Carbon.

So, I believe, the whole discussion here is only with regard to personal taste. Not less but also not more.
It sounds here a bit if this "match" vs. "no-match" were objective statements, but they are definitely not.
I feel that you prefer a more warm tube sound while I personally prefer that distinct sound via the SS amp Carbon.
I find absolutely nothing wrong with the pairing of the incredible X9k with the Mjölnir Carbon.

Also there are some people who prefer the 007-type dark timbre over 009 and also X9k, while others prefer these over 007.
That's OK, some people prefer warm tube saturation and even harmonics excitation, some people like dark sound signatures, and other people prefer accurate sound signatures, and imho the Carbon/X9k delivers exactly that.
My 2 cents & bmhto (by my humble taste only :wink:)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #2,084 of 2,979
After importing a carbon cc from Iceland to NYC and using it regularly with all my estats, I wouldn’t even consider another estat amp. I don’t want the hassle of tubes and all my estats sound great on the carbon cc. But they also sound good through and iESL hooked up to a speaker amp. The longer I am in this hobby the less small differences make to me. As long as the end result is musical and I can experience the music on an emotional level then I’m good. It’s all subjective.

Jan 5, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #2,085 of 2,979
After importing a carbon cc from Iceland to NYC and using it regularly with all my estats, I wouldn’t even consider another estat amp. I don’t want the hassle of tubes and all my estats sound great on the carbon cc. But they also sound good through and iESL hooked up to a speaker amp. The longer I am in this hobby the less small differences make to me. As long as the end result is musical and I can experience the music on an emotional level then I’m good. It’s all subjective.
The difference is small cause entry- mid range is not the place for day and night difference, which you will tell with your incoming Aperio:) looking forward to your sound impression of Aperio which is a true excellent solid state design in huge contrast to Carbon in EVERY single aspect, btw it pairs well with Fidata HFAS1 NAS Storage.

It is not exaggeration to say it is the best solid state design in both electrostatic and non electrostatic headphone worlds, to me it is not necessarily less than the 61K Well’s Audio Headtrip III Solid State Mono Amps with their Commander III Tube Pre, and Cypher II Tube DAC system, even though it is not an electrostatic system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back