Stax SR-X9000
Dec 25, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #2,041 of 3,032
Some good points there, yet I don’t think X9000 will benefit from a forward sounding amp, as this can is already overly mid centric. In my opinion, there are not that much resorts to tweak an integrated amp other than tubes, cables and isolation. The crux to me is to correct the odd spatial presentation of X9000, that is why I’m using master clock to improve the accuracy, as well as the lack of extensions at both ends, that is why I’m using Russian tubes, DH labs Corona Silver PC on top of Adona marbles reference rack. Almost all T2 owners I know spent more on the sources than amp per se.

This is why I think it's most critical to fully understand what you like and don't like at an individual level. :)

We talk about changes and upgrades 24/7 and not much about what we do and don't like. Given the subjectivity, I think that's why a lot of people end up buying gear they aren't happy with. To my ears, the recession of the overall presentation (mids included) is the only real quirk for me. I love the spatial openness, as no other headphone mirrors it. My only quirk is the laid back and soft nature of them, which a more forward and lively amp will help with. But like you, I know others may want to correct for just how open it is. So it will just come down to what people do and don't love about the x9000.

Also, I do not believe in owning just one headphone, as no one headphone will ever be perfect, even with chain synergy matching. Personally, I rather spend money on having 2-3 top use headphones that offer contrast, which ultimately makes up for the weaknesses of each, rather than spend endless $$ on optimizing a chain for one. But that's just me, I get people that want to try to perfect just one and one only.

Dec 25, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #2,042 of 3,032
This is why I think it's most critical to fully understand what you like and don't like at an individual level. :)

We talk about changes and upgrades 24/7 and not much about what we do and don't like. Given the subjectivity, I think that's why a lot of people end up buying gear they aren't happy with. To my ears, the recession of the overall presentation (mids included) is the only real quirk for me. I love the spatial openness, as no other headphone mirrors it. My only quirk is the laid back and soft nature of them, which a more forward and lively amp will help with. But like you, I know others may want to correct for just how open it is. So it will just come down to what people do and don't love about the x9000.

Also, I do not believe in owning just one headphone, as no one headphone will ever be perfect, even with chain synergy matching. Personally, I rather spend money on having 2-3 top use headphones that offer contrast, which ultimately makes up for the weaknesses of each, rather than spend endless $$ on optimizing a chain for one. But that's just me, I get people that want to try to perfect just one and one only.
Yes agree that is why I have one dynamic, one plannar and one electrostatic system in that each typology has its merit and uniqueness. Well I’m trying to downgrade to just two systems lol

Loudspeaker gurus love to say the rear and front end shall be 20 times of the price of the speakers. Well I never support price formula in that not expensive ones are necessarily the good ones, yet great designs are more often than not expensive.

Time and phase accuracy are really not matter of personal taste. Soft sound could be caused by many joined factors. With my experience of X9000 with T2, and Cayman, the two obvious superior application for X9000, I’m confident to say X9000 does need good quality and quantity of power. Just because viva STX uses 300B, doesn’t make it superior, in that the most important thing is still amp design, rather than tubes alone.

Headphones, source and rare end are three distinctive sciences and subjects to be studied. A successful system needs knowledgeable of all of these three areas and beyond.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #2,044 of 3,032
Listening to the album Empire of Light in the midnight, I feel like I’m about to announce the completion of my electrostatic system, even before of the arrival of new streamers and DACs. I feel I am at a point of not wanting to further upgrade the DAC, the clock, or the streamer, in that I have heard my electrostatic end game to make me peace out!

To me end game is very specific and concrete which simply means there is not a thing I wanna change just the way you are, which has been applied to my SUS setup and now I don’t think I wanna change anything with my X9000 system.

Peace out!

Attachments

• 7410CA66-31C9-4077-BE5D-CAB33090E86A.jpeg
    7410CA66-31C9-4077-BE5D-CAB33090E86A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #2,045 of 3,032
Among the amps I heard, the top two amps that could do X9000 Justice are T2 and Cayman period, but both need to be treated right. The higher it goes on gears, the higher it requires the users to organize a system. Unless you custom made them as a power amp version, and use a hard to find well-matching preamp as toner which in my experience is far more superior, natural and organic toner than only resorting to sources/cables/tubes to tune the whole system, otherwise you could only work on the source, which per se would be easily multiple cost of the amp per se, isolation, tubes and cables to build an ideal X9000 setup, as I have been doing. Actually Kerry could do a power amp version of T2, and given another chance I might go for that path.

The other amp you wonder about is just as @thinker suggests good for 009, not X9000
Thank you very much for your feedback. Very helpful.

Dec 26, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #2,046 of 3,032
Yea I don't think you can or should compare electrostatic and dynamic systems beyond at a high level. You can't compare an electrostatic amp to a dynamic amp in any valuable way beyond tier matching most components/headphones.

If I were looking to pull the trigger on a $10k plus amp for the x9000, I would try to identify what I do and don't like about the x9000 and find an amp that will likely help correct/better synergize based on those factors. For most people, I think that means finding a really engaging and lively amp that doesn't hinder what the x9000 does well (resolution, staging, etc.).

I do also agree that it's harder to find a single amp that works for all for stats than with dynamics and planars. That's where the T2 shines, it's literally good with everything. The Eksonic Aeras for a much lower price has the same balanced synergy potential--the 007 might be the only headphone I think it's just a hair too warm with. If you have multiple stats and are looking for the most flexibility/synergy, I'd start there without question. But if only looking to optimize one or maybe two, I think that opens things up quite a bit (unless you're looking at absolute opposites like the 007/009).
Wonderful feedback too... thank you so much.

Dec 26, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #2,047 of 3,032
There are pretty much no impressions on the STX vs. anything else. Trust me, I considered it and looked all over this site and many others. But there aren't for many stat amps, as there are just fewer people that have high end stat systems. The x9000 is pretty easy to power, and should benefit from any neutral to forward presenting amp with liveliness. I would just try to get a general sense of the STX's sound signature.. if you hear anything about it being relaxed or overly smooth, I'd probably not pull the trigger given the x9000's sound signature.
I have customer feedback from the VIVA vendor here in France. And these feedback are the same, some have dropped their BHSE and Carbon CC for the VIVA STX. But what about the T2 ?

Dec 26, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #2,048 of 3,032
Personally, I rather spend money on having 2-3 top use headphones that offer contrast, which ultimately makes up for the weaknesses of each, rather than spend endless $$ on optimizing a chain for one. But that's just me, I get people that want to try to perfect just one and one only.

I’m with you on that preference, for me it goes beyond. I’ll usually have ~15 headphones at time, about 10 I love that stick around and 5 or so that rotate as I try new things. 5 amplifiers. And I just love the change of tone I can get from mixing and matching to mood.

That is definitely A path, and a matter of personal preference. I get that one-chain-and-done both for logic and results, but there’s just too much stuff out there I want to experience, and sound signatures of drivers vary so much I can’t resist the enjoyment of swapping those around for mood and preference.

Dec 26, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #2,049 of 3,032
I have customer feedback from the VIVA vendor here in France. And these feedback are the same, some have dropped their BHSE and Carbon CC for the VIVA STX. But what about the T2 ?

You can find a bit of info about the T2 and the Carbon/BHSE/Similar, but I don't think you'll much, if anything at all in comparison to the STX. (I think there are some general impressions in this thread and the SGL Sr. thread btw). Also, once people take a certain leap, they tend to stick with it.. and these amps are so huge that many don't lug them around to meets.

I think if you already have and love a VIVA amp, it may be worth exploring the STX. I ended up going to the T2 route mainly because of the abundance of impressions that were available. With either of these it can be pretty challenging to hear before you buy, so I get the challenge.

Dec 26, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #2,050 of 3,032
You can find a bit of info about the T2 and the Carbon/BHSE/Similar, but I don't think you'll much, if anything at all in comparison to the STX. (I think there are some general impressions in this thread and the SGL Sr. thread btw). Also, once people take a certain leap, they tend to stick with it.. and these amps are so huge that many don't lug them around to meets.

I think if you already have and love a VIVA amp, it may be worth exploring the STX. I ended up going to the T2 route mainly because of the abundance of impressions that were available. With either of these it can be pretty challenging to hear before you buy, so I get the challenge.
Thank you for your precious message.

After a lot of research, I did not find a comparison between STX with the BHSE, Carbon CC and T2.

Having personally listened to the VIVA EGOISTA STX, I loved this electrostatic amplifier. A very open sound stage, incredible details, wonderful dynamics and bass.

The only interesting experience I could find on the forums is the one of CINCY2 on the following thread: https://www.audioshark.org/headphones-earbuds-17/headphone-evaluation-20127.html. CINCY2, after many amplifier tests he ended up with the STX by looking at its signature :wink:

My Stax X9000 will come in 6 months, it's really complicated these stock problems but good for Stax.

I'm going to order my STX with 2 color options, exact same design to the Stax X9000:
- Brown for the STX metallic dress (same to the Stax pad)
- Dark grey for the STX front and back panel (same to the Stax frame)

A nice dress and lipstick is as important as the SQ :wink:

I suggest to read an American review of the STX: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/viva-egoista-stx-electrostatic-headphone-amplifier.25848/

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #2,052 of 3,032
How does this headphone compare to Susvara?
Both are laid back sounding. I feel like the X9K is the Susvara of the estat world. I'm listening to the X9K right now actually. The Susvaras have better bass and probably mid-range. The X9K has a bit better resolution, imagining, and soundstage.

Dec 30, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #2,053 of 3,032
Both are laid back sounding. I feel like the X9K is the Susvara of the estat world. I'm listening to the X9K right now actually. The Susvaras have better bass and probably mid-range. The X9K has a bit better resolution, imagining, and soundstage.

Yup, that's how I see it as well. I think the Susvara is a bit less laid back sounding, and a bit more forward, but overall agree. You ended up getting rid of your CRBN? (edit, nvm here, missed in your sig the first time that you still have it). I also thought some aspects of it were reminiscent of the Susvara, mainly the smooth tonality, not the other technical categories.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #2,054 of 3,032
better resolution than the susvara is saying something

Dec 31, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #2,055 of 3,032
better resolution than the susvara is saying something
Most modern estats can make that claim, actually, but there are usually other trade-offs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back