Stax SR-X9000
Dec 31, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #2,056 of 3,032
the only HP's that I have heard that can rival the susvara is the abyss tc and sr1a which I do think is the most detailed I have yet heard

Dec 31, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #2,057 of 3,032
the only HP's that I have heard that can rival the susvara is the abyss tc and sr1a which I do think is the most detailed I have yet heard
From my own experience:
x9000, sr-omega, 009s are all above the susvara with detail
007, he60, he90, CRBN, sr-lambda (1970s) are all on same tier as the Susvara

That said, there is some very good reasons to prefer a less detailed headphone. The x9000 is often overkill.

Dec 31, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #2,058 of 3,032
I think the sr1a is the most detailed HP I have ever heard

Dec 31, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #2,059 of 3,032
From my own experience:
x9000, sr-omega, 009s are all above the susvara with detail
007, he60, he90, CRBN, sr-lambda (1970s) are all on same tier as the Susvara

That said, there is some very good reasons to prefer a less detailed headphone. The x9000 is often overkill.
Yeah… it depends on the source files as well. If it is not well mastered, you may be in for some pain… Which is why I find the 009 more enjoyable with the KGST. :)

Jan 1, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #2,061 of 3,032
Just like to share another shootout among systems ( on the similar level), Aperio, 009S and the original HE90 system. According to the owner, the result is again Aperio is clear winner by a big margin. I personally echo with all the author’s descriptions of Aperio as well as 009s. This conclusion also aligns with Golden sound’s opinion of TOTL electrostatic systems including HE-1, Aperio and Shangrila SR where he also prefers Aperio over others.

Among all famous influencer reviewers, Goldensound is the one who actually has some hands on experience of many high end gears by contrast and whose opinions I personally found trustworthy. The one Goldensound reviewed is the newest black version which is actually cheaper than the gold version that has slightly sweeter vocals and slightly better texture of notes.

This is the original article of the shootout:
http://bbs.erji.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2228508

Attachments

• ACBB7C15-543F-4561-8D10-789DFA095F7F.jpeg
    ACBB7C15-543F-4561-8D10-789DFA095F7F.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 4DB2F3FF-96F3-4C16-981A-078114C747EF.jpeg
    4DB2F3FF-96F3-4C16-981A-078114C747EF.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 9A7C5862-CB57-47C5-AB66-B6CA944589B0.jpeg
    9A7C5862-CB57-47C5-AB66-B6CA944589B0.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 0
  • BB494916-570A-4258-901B-6860C6ADC268.jpeg
    BB494916-570A-4258-901B-6860C6ADC268.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 45480B92-98AD-4B29-87B8-B631D2519FFE.jpeg
    45480B92-98AD-4B29-87B8-B631D2519FFE.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 0
  • EDBCA062-CEB0-4ECC-BA45-AD90113AE55D.jpeg
    EDBCA062-CEB0-4ECC-BA45-AD90113AE55D.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 0
  • A02FEAD4-DA59-4B4F-9CAD-48F55F8D745C.jpeg
    A02FEAD4-DA59-4B4F-9CAD-48F55F8D745C.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 44B27120-E758-4BF8-A2BF-428EFF7EE14E.jpeg
    44B27120-E758-4BF8-A2BF-428EFF7EE14E.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #2,062 of 3,032

The only headphone I've heard that is more resolving than the sr1a is the SGL Sr. (have not heard HE-1, Aperio, etc, so I'm sure a few others are as well), so imo it really is one of the most resolving ever. But as others have said, there are definitely a few other headphones that are more resolving than the TC and Susvara, the x9000 definitely being one of them. I think it and the sr1a are pretty much at the same level of performance in that regard.

Jan 1, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #2,063 of 3,032
Just like to share another shootout among Aperio, 009S and the original HE90 system. The result is again Aperio is clear winner according to the owner by a big margin. I personally echo with all the descriptions of Aperio as well as 009s. This conclusion also aligns with Golden sound’s opinion of TOTL electrostatic systems including HE-1, Aperio and Shangrila SR where he also prefers Aperio over others.

Among all famous reviewers, Goldensound is the one who actually has some empirical experience of many high end gears by contrast and whose opinions I personally found trustworthy. The one Goldensound reviewed is the newest black version which is actually cheaper than the gold version that has slightly sweeter vocals and slightly better texture of notes.

This is a bit of topic for this thread.
That said, I’m not sure that this proves that much given the 009 and original he90/hev90 are not held as being in the top tier of sound. Even on the T2 the he90 is more of a timber preference than it is considered a technical master.

I’d be more interested to see how this faired against a x9000/SGL sr/Sr-omega off a T2/DHT or an R10 on a CFA3.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #2,064 of 3,032
This is a bit of topic for this thread.
That said, I’m not sure that this proves that much given the 009 and original he90/hev90 are not held as being in the top tier of sound. Even on the T2 the he90 is more of a timber preference than it is considered a technical master.

I’d be more interested to see how this faired against a x9000/SGL sr/Sr-omega off a T2/DHT or an R10 on a CFA3.I think it is interesting related electrostatic shootout,

I shared this because I found it is an interesting read of other related and similar electrostatic systems at similar level for other folks who might find it relevant. It is rare to see shootout as such with competent sources, isolation, cables, power and systems as these. To draw an analogy, just because Z doesn’t need Susvara in his system and thus put it in his yard sale, doesn’t mean SUS sounds bad in that he might never heard what it is truly capable of via his source and rear end. Even though he owned and heard thousands of cans, he might never heard their true potentials.

Besides, It seems to me that these have not been paid attention nor discussed here, so out of good intention and public interests, I think it could potentially be a valuable addition.

It is just I don’t remember if either the author or me mentioned anything about what you claimed with your own words:
the 009 and original he90/hev90 are not held as being in the top tier of sound
Also the “fair” comparison you are interested in seeing might not actually be fair nor professional at all to many others who believe comparing different typologies is like comparing apples to oranges. Personally I welcome and appreciate any information of the sound.
I’m cool and unbothered of comparing anything in that technology serves the final sonic performances. Many products claiming with the highly advanced technologies, don’t necessarily contribute to the sound positively. Therefore for me I put the sonic performances first, and then I would be digging into its design.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #2,065 of 3,032
Just like to share another shootout among systems ( on the similar level), Aperio, 009S and the original HE90 system. According to the owner, the result is again Aperio is clear winner by a big margin. I personally echo with all the author’s descriptions of Aperio as well as 009s. This conclusion also aligns with Golden sound’s opinion of TOTL electrostatic systems including HE-1, Aperio and Shangrila SR where he also prefers Aperio over others.

Among all famous reviewers, Goldensound is the one who actually has some hands on experience of many high end gears by contrast and whose opinions I personally found trustworthy. The one Goldensound reviewed is the newest black version which is actually cheaper than the gold version that has slightly sweeter vocals and slightly better texture of notes.

Personally I considered the STAX SR-009s above the WARWICK APERIO.

But I think that the DAC of the APERIO (proprietary set) was not up to the MOLA MOLA TAMBAQUI. It's a pity because the APERIO set is very qualitative, the connectors are fabulous, the headphones are light and easy to wear. In short, to the touch and to the look we have a material masterpiece.

Surprisingly, listening to it is below a combination TAMBAQUI + IFI iESL Pro + Stax SR-009s. This is a personal opinion.

Jan 1, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #2,066 of 3,032
I think I might get a sense of your preference as u like Viva and Mola that I also use/used :) yet I respectfully disagree, especially the ifi iesl:wink: which is so not on par with Aperio to me even the amplification might not the forte of Aperio. But hey as long as you enjoy that combo, cheers:)

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #2,067 of 3,032
Personally I considered the STAX SR-009s above the WARWICK APERIO.

But I think that the DAC of the APERIO (proprietary set) was not up to the MOLA MOLA TAMBAQUI. It's a pity because the APERIO set is very qualitative, the connectors are fabulous, the headphones are light and easy to wear. In short, to the touch and to the look we have a material masterpiece.

Surprisingly, listening to it is below a combination TAMBAQUI + IFI iESL Pro + Stax SR-009s. This is a personal opinion.
If I recall correctly, in Goldensound's review he commented he preferred with his external May DAC, KTE version.

Jan 1, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #2,068 of 3,032
If I recall correctly, in Goldensound's review he commented he preferred with his external May DAC, KTE version.
Yes that because if you are familiar with Goldensound, KTE May is Goldensound’s personal favorite DAC. You are right he did mention that Aperio could benefit from dCS, Wavedream and other flagship DACs. His speculation per se is correct in that AIO even as HE-1 also largely benefits from better source, not necessarily KTE May though, as his personal preferred source.

In this particular shootout, the source being used are Goldmund Edios Reference SACD player (195000 USD) as well as Clearaudio Statement turntable (275000 USD) way above the high end sources Goldensound could imagine, In the direct ab, the author concluded the built in streamer dac per se is good enough on par with counterparts between 15 to 20K, as we also experimented using Aperio only as the source alone in other loudspeaker systems with stunning results to reach this conclusion. Judging from the nuances and details of the cables, feet, Isolation, power, and source the author uses, we better believe what he said. Some people could throw more money to make already good stuff sound bad, but the way he deals with these systems is real pro and we better believe he made these systems and cans sound better than they could ever be.

FYI, I’m not affiliated to Warwick Accoustic and I am not buying nor selling Aperio neither lol, just stating my version of truth in that out of stock Aperio is close to my favorite TOTL electrostatic system for its accuracy and three dimensionalities ( except a tad bright and a tad bass shy only by my nitpicking extreme standards), making it my source of inspiration building my electrostatic system.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #2,069 of 3,032
I think I might get a sense of your preference as u like Viva and Mola that I also use/used :) yet I respectfully disagree, especially the ifi iesl:wink: which is so not on par with Aperio to me even the amplification might not the forte of Aperio. But hey as long as you enjoy that combo, cheers:)
You are right, the IFI iESL is not up to the standard of a super amplifier for Stax. That's why I'm going for the VIVA STX.

For the APERIO I was less seduced than the Stax 009s that I tested. Certainly a matter of taste!

Jan 4, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #2,070 of 3,032
IMG_8149.jpg

After hearing the Sr-omega a little while ago, I've grown increasingly disappointed with the carbon/x9k combination. I could not get out of my head how much more organic sounding the Sr-omega was in contrast. Users of the Megatron & T2 have told me that the x9k needs both a tube input and tube output (so not the BHSE or KGST) to sound correct. It's hard to gamble up to $14k when I could plop down less money on an sr-omega and know 100% I was getting the sound I wanted...

I took the advice of @thinker, who mentioned very early in this thread that his belief on the x9k was that it did not need some powerhouse amp - but, similar to the he90, would perform better on a simpler all-tube amp - which he had found with the rare Mjolnir Novem.

There are many parallels between the sr9k story and the original He90/Hev90 Sennheiser Orpheus and both lose their magic on the carbon/bhse. It should not be a surprise that the Novem is similar to the Hev90. Mjolnir's original details states, "Here is a new amp I have been working on for a long time as a counter design to the normal amps I do. The design brief I had in mind was all tube signal path, warm sounding and using easy to find tubes. Well that led me down a rabbit hole of 4 completely different designs which all were built and tested until I settled on this one. This took years and what started off as an amp to suit the 009's sort of morphed into a general purpose tube lovers amp. So this one is in many ways similar to the older tube designs of what Stax did in the 60's, the Sennheiser HEV90 and others but with modern twists. This amp uses two ECC83's and two ECC99 tubes and a fully regulated power supply and custom transformers. Lots of nice caps in the signal path and high spec input wiring. Sound is nice and mellow sounding but with plenty of presence and power."

The Novem pushes the mids of the x9k forward and fixes that weird recessive-ness the x9k occasionally will do on tracks. Yet, the x9k's soundstage is so vastly big the head bubble is still plenty. This not only improves the feel of the staging, but adds the missing bite the x9k lacked.
Bass feels closer to the 007 "fun" with a fat bloom and thickness absent from the carbon. This texture to the overall sound benefits the timber .. yet, due to x9k's excellent resolution, the music cuts through the tube distortion and presents an overall natural sound. This is much closer to how the Sr-omega behaves off the Carbon. I will have a chance to compare the two again, but from memory the Omega is still the more tangible of the two, but the x9k paints the bigger/fuller picture.

With my Lambda nova Signature, the opposite is true. On the Novem, I hear a nasally sound not present on the Carbon, along with a drop in clarity. On the Carbon the LNS is a rock star with tight, complex layering, similar to what the Carbon can do for the 007 series. Excellent example of how important pairing is for estats.

The Novem, like the hev90, is not a juggernaut. However, the x9k is proving to be rather power efficient; the carbon & BHSE were designed during the hard-to-drive 007 era. Given the x9k's vast soundstage and excellent resolution, the fun sound of the Novem creates magic. With an MSRP of $3,200 in 2020, if made available again, the Novem presents a "down to earth" summit-fi system that isn't financially far off other well-known pairs (carbon + 007 or BHSE + 009s).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back