Stax SR-X9000
Jan 6, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #2,086 of 3,032
So, I believe, the whole discussion here is only with regard to personal taste. Not less but also not more.
It sounds here a bit if this "match" vs. "no-match" were objective statements, but they are definitely not.
I feel that you prefer a more warm tube sound while I personally prefer that distinct sound via the SS amp Carbon.
This is a perfectly fair and reasonable statement.

I agree with most other posters that the Carbon is not a 'fit' for x9000; however, we're really splitting hairs here. I think Megatron is a 'fit' for all the estats I have tried so far (007 mki and mkii, 009 and 009s, x9000, 307, and Sigma/404). I also think the Carbon is a 'fit' for all of the above. I think Megatron is the 'best' fit for x9000, but Carbon the 'best' fit for most of the others I've heard. But the difference (for me) is not vast. I very much prefer x9000 with Megatron, and Megatron overall, but the Carbon certainly doesn't ruin the listening experience. As Werner says, a simple distinction--tubes vs. SS, and one's preference--is maybe being overemphasized. I'm listening to Sigma/404s on the Megatron right now, and while the Carbon is a slightly better fit, after about three minutes of listening I stop caring.

Interesting to hear what is charged for a Megatron made in Iceland. Is an RK50 and NOS XF2s included? On the other hand, 9k for 9k, makes sense:wink:
I vote for the x9000 to have its name changed to x900 :wink:

I basically agree with everything in Schelp san's post, but...it needs to be said...no disrespect to anyone's business model, but it is difficult to imagine a Mjolnir Audio Megatron at 9000 euros being noticeably better than Soren's Megatron for 4800...and, if a Novem at 3500-4000 euros is entry-level hifi for x9000 (maybe it is, I have no idea), again I am left wondering where that puts a 4800 Megatron? I mean, Denmark and Iceland aren't THAT different, nor are the builds of their respective amps.

Jan 6, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #2,087 of 3,032
This is a perfectly fair and reasonable statement.

I agree with most other posters that the Carbon is not a 'fit' for x9000; however, we're really splitting hairs here. I think Megatron is a 'fit' for all the estats I have tried so far (007 mki and mkii, 009 and 009s, x9000, 307, and Sigma/404). I also think the Carbon is a 'fit' for all of the above. I think Megatron is the 'best' fit for x9000, but Carbon the 'best' fit for most of the others I've heard. But the difference (for me) is not vast. I very much prefer x9000 with Megatron, and Megatron overall, but the Carbon certainly doesn't ruin the listening experience. As Werner says, a simple distinction--tubes vs. SS, and one's preference--is maybe being overemphasized. I'm listening to Sigma/404s on the Megatron right now, and while the Carbon is a slightly better fit, after about three minutes of listening I stop caring.

I vote for the x9000 to have its name changed to x900 :wink:

I basically agree with everything in Schelp san's post, but...it needs to be said...no disrespect to anyone's business model, but it is difficult to imagine a Mjolnir Audio Megatron at 9000 euros being noticeably better than Soren's Megatron for 4800...and, if a Novem at 3500-4000 euros is entry-level hifi for x9000 (maybe it is, I have no idea), again I am left wondering where that puts a 4800 Megatron? I mean, Denmark and Iceland aren't THAT different, nor are the builds of their respective amps.
Perhaps the megatron and Carbon are more similar. The Novem is distinctively different from the Carbon. I have not heard a megatron. I will be letting another head-fi’er hear my Novem this weekend - so hopefully they will chime in.

As for the potential MT Mjolnir price - you make good points - however, if you haven’t checked the site lately, the Mjolnir Carbon CC is $7,800 with alps rk50. Another $1200 for a 2 box megatron built by one of the more extreme perfectionists in the industry isn’t that surprising.

There is also a different mindset between their builds. Birgir is a non-profit who builds pieces for fun using the more expensive materials, with the intent of absolute top craftsmanship in all respects. The cases he uses alone are significantly more expensive. For some the appearance and premium internals are relevant considerations to price.
Similarly, Kerry charges $14k~ for a commercial tier T2 but I know a builder who can make one in a standard amp box for $7k.

Attachments

• EAD830AC-4E43-40AF-B265-EA7712123BD6.jpeg
    EAD830AC-4E43-40AF-B265-EA7712123BD6.jpeg
    965.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 8AAB8554-E362-48CB-A00B-BCE3FCF4C496.jpeg
    8AAB8554-E362-48CB-A00B-BCE3FCF4C496.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #2,088 of 3,032
Perhaps the megatron and Carbon are more similar. The Novem is distinctively different from the Carbon. I have not heard a megatron. I will be letting another head-fi’er hear my Novem this weekend - so hopefully they will chime in.

As for the potential MT Mjolnir price - you make good points - however, if you haven’t checked the site lately, the Mjolnir Carbon CC is $7,800 with alps rk50. Another $1200 for a 2 box megatron built by one of the more extreme perfectionists in the industry isn’t that surprising.

There is also a different mindset between their builds. Birgir is a non-profit who builds pieces for fun using the more expensive materials, with the intent of absolute top craftsmanship in all respects. The cases he uses alone are significantly more expensive. For some the appearance and premium internals are relevant considerations to price.
Similarly, Kerry charges $14k~ for a commercial tier T2 but I know a builder who can make one in a standard amp box for $7k.
I suppose the next logical step is to share photos of internals, perhaps?

That will be easy to do for my Carbon, a bit more time consuming for Megatron. Does anyone have a Mjolnir Carbon he or she is willing to open up, photograph and share?

If we time our posts to arrive on Head-fi around the same time, I bet we could stimulate a very productive discussion and learn a lot as well :)

Jan 6, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #2,089 of 3,032

I also happen to know one builder who could do 7K (after my price bargain lol) and the same builder also offers a higher version at 9K with better power, better volume knob, silver internal wire, and many other upgrades over his 7K version.

I would say the difference between Eksonic T2 @Kerry and other DIY T2s is beyond just the look which does matter in that many other DIY T2s look just way too brutal and unacceptable even I normal don’t care about the look lol.

The thing is Kerry doesn’t just duplicate KG’s original design which has some issues here and there back then, as channel imbalance, noise and etc. There has been improvement made in many nuances and details in Kerry’s build. Therefore considering that, I think it is worthwhile to spend more to ensure a more mature and stable unit with better premium parts for safety, longevity, stability, and last but not least aesthetics. Not to mention I couldn’t discern if some DIY builders are scam nor not…

If I’m going to buy a Circlotron, I would trust that mission to Kerry among all DIY builders:)

Attachments

• 91B399F7-DEFF-4E9E-9F39-58B834B20E0F.jpeg
    91B399F7-DEFF-4E9E-9F39-58B834B20E0F.jpeg
    907.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #2,090 of 3,032

Which builder is able to sell a built to order DIYT2 for $7k? The only one I have read that low is FLS/Felitsa who is a scammer essentially. The parts to build a DIYT2 are almost $7k so they wouldn't be making very much for their time.

Also, Birgir being entirely a "non profit" doesn't make sense, considering he also sells silver cables (which even prior to covid and silver prices going through the roof) went for a few hundred dollars a pair. I don't have a problem with him making money, but to say he doesn't make any profit whatsoever, seems unlikely.

Jan 6, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #2,091 of 3,032
Which builder is able to sell a built to order DIYT2 for $7k? The only one I have read that low is FLS/Felitsa who is a scammer essentially. The parts to build a DIYT2 are almost $7k so they wouldn't be making very much for their time.

Also, Birgir being entirely a "non profit" doesn't make sense, considering he also sells silver cables (which even prior to covid and silver prices going through the roof) went for a few hundred dollars a pair. I don't have a problem with him making money, but to say he doesn't make any profit whatsoever, seems unlikely.
Haha just the one you mentioned who I never trust in that I know it is a red flag for deals too good to be true:) the truth is you get what you paid for especially for amplification, the least and last link to cheap out.

Plus it takes long period of time and research from prototypes to finalized commercial products and the way he released new products one after another is beyond normal. But his concepts and pictures are admittedly too appealing and deceiving lol.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #2,092 of 3,032
Fun fact (and yes of course I'm generalising across all tax law worldwide): a non-profit is just a label to put on a tax declaration.

In other words, anyone can claim to be a non-profit, especially if one gets creative with the definition of "and labour" in "parts and labour", and plenty of non-profits make what an outsider might consider a profit.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #2,093 of 3,032
Fun fact (and yes of course I'm generalising across all tax law worldwide): a non-profit is just a label to put on a tax declaration.

In other words, anyone can claim to be a non-profit, especially if one gets creative with the definition of "and labour" in "parts and labour", and plenty of non-profits make what an outsider might consider a profit.
Yes, it's easy to be non profit if you are in an industry that basically controls itself and everyone running the place normally takes a high wage. More than half the hospitals in the US are non profit but they pay out high wages to administrators, doctors, lawyers, etc.

Jan 6, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #2,094 of 3,032
Hi, and sorry, but I cannot agree with the considerations on the X9k Carbon combo.
For my taste the Mjölnir Carbon is not only a brillant estat amplifier in general, for my ears and taste it is also a perfect match for the X9k.

And I also cannot follow the wonky (??) impressions on the X9k itself.
I highly adore the sound and also the spatial presentation of the X9k and especially the combo with Mjölnir Carbon.
I own several Stax (X9k, 007Mk1, 009, different lambdas) and amps for them (SS and tube) and for my personal valuation, the Carbon+X9k is a SQ league above 007Mk1 or 009, even when these are also combined with the Carbon.

So, I believe, the whole discussion here is only with regard to personal taste. Not less but also not more.
It sounds here a bit if this "match" vs. "no-match" were objective statements, but they are definitely not.
I feel that you prefer a more warm tube sound while I personally prefer that distinct sound via the SS amp Carbon.
I find absolutely nothing wrong with the pairing of the incredible X9k with the Mjölnir Carbon.

Also there are some people who prefer the 007-type dark timbre over 009 and also X9k, while others prefer these over 007.
That's OK, some people prefer warm tube saturation and even harmonics excitation, some people like dark sound signatures, and other people prefer accurate sound signatures, and imho the Carbon/X9k delivers exactly that.
My 2 cents & bmhto (by my humble taste only :wink:)

I think that's fair and it's important to remember that there is no 'correct' sound or combo. Everything comes down to personal tastes, especially with how polarizing the top stax cans are (Omega, 007, 009). In a lot of cases you have people that were either fans of the 009 or other similarly detailed/analytical sounding stats and on the other hand people that came from the 007, which as you mention is much different, darker and smoother. So what people find as "synergistic" is going to differ drastically.

In example, I very much admire Spritzer and he's personally been helpful to me.. and I know his opinions are referenced often, but his listening preferences couldn't be farther from mine lol, which is ok. You just have to sift through it all and see what advice/opinions might line up most closely with how you hear and what you're looking for.

For me personally, tonally I like the x9000 as is. I also, like you, enjoy the spatial information and spaciousness as is (even though on just a few tracks it does sound a bit artificially spacious imo). I get how that may differ for others though. My only improvements desired are a bit more forwardness and a more engaging sound (bite, aggression, whatever you may call it)--but again, it's exceptional regardless.

I would've been ecstatic if it were modeled after the 009, with an aim to improve tonality and bass, rather than the Omega in which I have the same issues with from an engagement/laid back perspective (although I didn't find any recession in the Omega's mids, not talking about that at all to be clear). x9000 feels like more of a mashup of multiple flagships, with a preference to model the Omega's general template. Anyways, say all of that to again mention that I totally get why opinions are all over the place and everyone looking to change very different, distinct things.

Lastly, I've very much enjoyed the very in-depth impressions and varying opinions over the past few pages. Really good stuff.

Jan 6, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #2,095 of 3,032
is listening preferences couldn't be farther from mine lol, which is ok. You just have to sift through it all and see what advice/opinions might line up most closely with how you hear and what you're looking for.

That's such an important point. One of the biggest pitfalls are respected online reviewers, whose opinions influence a lot what folks think and expect, but whose tastes may not always align with yours. Similarly, there are so many wonderuflly insightly and helpful community members here, whose knowledge surpasses mine infinitely; but whose tastes may not align with mine or yours. I've found that keeping that in mind, and trying to learn each person's biases to understand the context of their inputs, really helps in understanding what their input may mean for me.

I've very much enjoyed the very in-depth impressions and varying opinions over the past few pages. Really good stuff.

+1 !!!

Jan 6, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #2,096 of 3,032
That's such an important point. One of the biggest pitfalls are respected online reviewers, whose opinions influence a lot what folks think and expect, but whose tastes may not always align with yours. Similarly, there are so many wonderfully insightly and helpful community members here, whose knowledge surpasses mine infinitely; but whose tastes may not align with mine or yours. I've found that keeping that in mind, and trying to learn each person's biases to understand the context of their inputs, really helps in understanding what their input may mean for me.

Agree with this 100%! That's exactly how I utilize the forum. And I do also very much enjoy impressions or views that don't align with mine, as long as they're thoughtful and genuine, as it's all insightful and helps with understanding consensus and the bigger picture with each piece of gear. :)

Jan 6, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #2,097 of 3,032
Agree with this 100%! That's exactly how I utilize the forum. And I do also very much enjoy impressions or views that don't align with mine, as long as they're thoughtful and genuine, as it's all insightful and helps with understanding consensus and the bigger picture with each piece of gear. :)
Agree. At the end of the day, context like audio chain, genre of music and personal inclinations all play a part. As long as we are able to discern that and take the views/comments with that context, it will be insightful and guide us in our own pursuit of audio bliss. :)

Jan 6, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #2,098 of 3,032
good way to look at it and good points!

I have constantly been thinking and reflecting on why people have different tastes from the perspectives of systems.

As human, our opinions are all shaped and restricted by our own experience. Some don’t like the bass of SUS, thus they turn to TC; and some dislike the vocals of TC, so they turn to Sony R10; then people who want better technicalities, they go for Hifiman Shang SR… That is such preference is a result of sonic flaws of each can.

Therefore, from the perspectives of sound sig, personally speaking, the so called personal taste is a matter of sonic flaws and imperfections from the systems ( we only got to hear or own), making the needs of groups of people who are bothered by the flaws unmet and unfulfilled. That is the sonic preference is in essence the result of sonic shortcomings. It is the caveats that turn some people away.

While perfection is hard to exist, the less the caveats, the less people will be turned away, that is the my logics, my reasoning and my experience. That is why the higher and better the system/Amp, the more people will enjoy and less people will be turned away for unfulfilled preferences and needs.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #2,099 of 3,032
very good way to look at it and good points!

I have constantly been thinking and reflecting why people have different tastes from the perspectives of systems.

As human, our opinions are all shaped and restricted by our own experience. Some don’t like the bass of SUS, thus they turn to TC; and some dislike the vocals of TC, so they turn to Sony R10; then people who want better technicalities, they go for Hifiman Shang SR…

Therefore, from the perspectives of sound sig, personally speaking, the so called personal taste is a matter of sonic flaws and imperfections from the systems (they only got to hear or own), making the needs of groups of people who are bothered by the flaws unmet and unfulfilled. That is the sonic preference is in essence the system shortcomings. It is the caveats that turn some people away.

While perfection is hard to exist, the less the caveats, the less people will be turned away, that is the logics, my reasoning and my experience.

The nature of headphone audio is about being cheap to the majority, and even the “professional” headphone reviewers/ influencers don’t even take this format seriously. As a year all around video at HEADPHONE.COM with that bunch of popular headphone reviewers, most of them claim is money is no object, they will go for loudspeaker A, B or C… That just proves they don’t have faith in the format of headphone and they clearly think headphone audio is inferior to loudspeakers… and people turn to headphones because it is cheap if money is not a problem, loudspeakers are better. The headphone is not the best tool to represent music.

However, is there a slight chance that they might never heard the top of line systems that could break their bias against headphone audio? I’m not talking about the systems people hear at show settings or the ones they received from the manufacturers to do their review work, but the systems built after years of experiment and improvement. I personally know a few who spent more on headphone systems with just one headphone over 100K and even 200K above years of hard work and testing. Yet one might argue it is not necessary or everything they do is just for their personal taste. But I’m sure if people really heard it, they would say otherwise.

“The experience of superb high-fidelity systems is peculiar in that it defies imagination until experienced. One can read innumerable descriptions of the performance of a stereo system or component but really understanding what is so significant is a necessarily empirical exercise.” And such systems can’t easily be found at show settings.

I hear you, but I think this places too much emphasis on money and what people can and can't afford as a factor. If we take the summit-fi forum as an example, where a bulk of people are very eager to throw most, if not all of their money towards the hobby (lol) for very high fidelity systems, yet still have very, very different perspectives easily observable in each and every thread, it shows just how important individual preference and hearing matters.

There is always something more expensive in which we can question if someone truly has the most high fidelity system or not, but the incremental gains as you spend more dwindle. That said, I do know that at times people either give up on something too quick or don't optimize nearly enough in a system to give something a real chance (point of reference being myself and understanding just how amazing the 007 was until I got the T2, which can drive it properly). But that's a rare occurrence (i.e. in my example the 007 is extremely hard to drive, which is rarer), what's more frequent imo is people simply not liking a headphone or preferring another over it because of its innate personality and signature. No level of optimizing is going to change the base sound signature of a headphone.. it may overcome a sticking point for someone that has a very particular issue with it, or push it from good to great for someone that already generally likes it to begin with.

In your example, the Susvara will never have the bass impact of the TC, the TC will never have the perfectly placed and euphoric mids of the R10, nor the R10 the technical prowess and expansiveness of the SGL Sr. No chain optimization will ever change this fundamentally (although you can certainly close gaps to a degree) and many will simply prefer either of these strengths over others, especially based on the genres they love, typical sound profile they prefer, etc. :)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #2,100 of 3,032
I hear you, but I think this places too much emphasis on money and what people can and can't afford as a factor. If we take the summit-fi forum as an example, where a bulk of people are very eager to throw their most, if not all of their money towards the hobby (lol) for very high fidelity systems, yet still have very, very different perspectives easily observable in each and every thread, it shows just how important individual preference and hearing matters.

There is always something more expensive in which we can question if someone truly has the most high fidelity system or not, but the incremental gains as you spend more dwindle. That said, I do know that at times people either give up on something too quick or don't optimize nearly enough in a system to give something a real chance (point of reference being myself and understanding just how amazing the 007 was until I got the T2, which can drive it properly). But that's a rare occurrence (i.e. in my example the 007 is extremely hard to drive, which is rarer), what's more frequent imo is people simply not liking a headphone or preferring another over it because of its innate personality and signature. No level of optimizing is going to change the base sound signature of a headphone.. it may overcome a sticking point for someone that has a very particular issue with it, or push it from good to great for someone that already generally likes it to begin with.

In your example, the Susvara will never have the bass impact of the TC, the TC will never have the perfectly placed and euphoric mids of the R10, nor the R10 the technical prowess and expansiveness of the SGL Sr. No chain optimization will ever change this fundamentally (although you can certainly close gaps to a degree) and many will simply prefer either of these strengths over others, especially based on the genres they love, typical sound profile they prefer, etc. :)
yet I’m also sure if there is a system with the vocals of R10, bass of TC and mids of SUS they would definitely love it.

Love takes time, learning, trials and errors, studying and of course money ( hardcore Commitment)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back