I had a little mini-meet today with @doyouknowSBmean

Comparisons were made between:
Stax Sr-omega (his)
Stax Sr-x9000 (mine)
Stax sr-007 mk1 (his)
Sennheser He60 (his)
Sony MDR-r10 bass light (his)
Grado Hp-2 improved (mine)

Amp was my Mjolnir Carbon for Estats & his EC studio B for dynamics.

Sr-omega - The clarity is excellent. Timber is spot on. Lots of magic is captured. A very clean and powerful sound ... except... the bass is a bit boomy and less controlled than expected.

Sr-x9000 - Easily the most technical and highest separation/resolution of any headphone in the room. Similar to the Sr-omega, but with much better control over the bass. The BIG issue is that the dynamics of the x9k are among the worst of the group; the low & highs of songs do not change very much. This makes it much better suited for newer music and less for classical/jazz and other older pieces. Build wise, it makes the Omega look like a prototype.

Sr-007 mk1 - Confirmed once more that this headphone is not for me. It's creamy, layered, and too dull for my taste; it requires time to get adjusted to the sonic difference.

Sennheiser he60 - Bit of a "wall" style sound, not unlike the Audeze CRBN but with more emphasis on highs than lows. I wasn't feeling it until we changed to a violin-focused piece, where it took off like a rocket. On the correct type of music, this is genuinely summit-fi—lastly, light as a feather (200gs?) which really adds to the enjoyment.

Sony Mdr-r10 (bass light) - Magical headphones with so many great qualities. Without question tier 1 and beyond. It lacks bass when going A/B to any other headphones besides the he60. The dynamic range between the lows/highs is so powerful it makes your hair stand up—worth even today's price tags. Love how the r10 straps you in. Wonderful design and aesthetics.

Grado Hp-2 improved - A similar sound to the r10 but with the trade of better bass and less soundstage. The most neutral leveled EQ of the group but like the R10 and Omega, has outstanding dynamics. This is the benchmark of timber, without a doubt. As the only on-ear headphone, it has the worst comfort.

My ranking tiers
1: Omega/R10
2: Hp-2i / x9000
3: He60/007mk1

From a technical standpoint:
1) x9000
2) omega
3) r10
4) he60/007 mk1
5) hp-2i

From a "completeness/well-rounded" standpoint:
1) hp-2i
2) x9000 / 007 mk1
3) omega
4) r10
5) he60

If I was mainly listening to modern music my pick would be the x9000
If I was mainly listening to older, classical/jazz , I would reach for the r10/omega

x9k_Carbon.jpg
r10_hp2i.jpg
SrOmega_he60.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #1,892 of 2,979

Stax Sr-omega (his)
Stax Sr-x9000 (mine)
Stax sr-007 mk1 (his)
Sennheser He60 (his)

Sr-omega - The clarity is excellent. Timber is spot on. Lots of magic is captured. A very clean and powerful sound ... except... the bass is a bit boomy and less controlled than expected.

Sr-x9000 - Easily the most technical and highest separation/resolution of any headphone in the room. Similar to the Sr-omega, but with much better control over the bass. The BIG issue is that the dynamics of the x9k are among the worst of the group; the low & highs of songs do not change very much. This makes it much better suited for newer music and less for classical/jazz and other older pieces. Build wise, it makes the Omega look like a prototype.

Sr-007 mk1 - Confirmed once more that this headphone is not for me. It's creamy, layered, and too dull for my taste; it requires time to get adjusted to the sonic difference.

Sennheiser he60 - Bit of a "wall" style sound, not unlike the Audeze CRBN but with more emphasis on highs than lows. I wasn't feeling it until we changed to a violin-focused piece, where it took off like a rocket. On the correct type of music, this is genuinely summit-fi—lastly, light as a feather (200gs?) which really adds to the enjoyment.

Sony Mdr-r10 (bass light) - Magical headphones with so many great qualities. Without question tier 1 and beyond. It lacks bass when going A/B to any other headphones besides the he60. The dynamic range between the lows/highs is so powerful it makes your hair stand up—worth even today's price tags. Love how the r10 straps you in. Wonderful design and aesthetics.

Grado Hp-2 improved - A similar sound to the r10 but with the trade of better bass and less soundstage. The most neutral leveled EQ of the group but like the R10 and Omega, has outstanding dynamics. This is the benchmark of timber, without a doubt. As the only on-ear headphone, it has the worst comfort.

My ranking tiers

1) x9000
2) omega
3) r10
4) he60/007 mk1
5) hp-2i

1) hp-2i
2) x9000 / 007 mk1
3) omega
4) r10
5) he60

If I was mainly listening to older, classical/jazz , I would reach for the r10/omega

x9k_Carbon.jpgr10_hp2i.jpgSrOmega_he60.jpg
Hope you also like this humble looking guy:
20221120_232832.jpg

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #1,893 of 2,979
Hope you also like this humble looking guy:

How can I forget!
The Stax Sr-Lambda (1970s) non-pro was straight up on par with everything else lol despite a $~300 second hand price tag.
Absolute monster of a headphone and places right at the same tier as the he60/007mk1 for me.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #1,894 of 2,979

Stax Sr-omega (his)
Stax Sr-x9000 (mine)
Stax sr-007 mk1 (his)
Sennheser He60 (his)

My ranking tiers

1) x9000
2) omega
3) r10
4) he60/007 mk1
5) hp-2i

1) hp-2i
2) x9000 / 007 mk1
3) omega
4) r10
5) he60

Great write up thanks!

I have most of this setup with the X9K, 007mk1, and HE60 off the same Mjolnir Carbon, and MDR-R10 bass light, my case off the Auris Nirvana.

I share many of your observations. Some nuances for me:

The X9k bass is a bit less controlled for me. It has lots of energy but bleeds a little to the mids. It’s in the mids and treble where it resolves incredibly well. And its imaging is just excellent.

The 007mk1 is the fun listen of the bunch. Not the most technical (but very capable), it has a very enjoyable presentation that makes my foot tap whenever I go back to it.

The HE60 description is right as I perceive it. For some genres that are mids and higher focused, it is incredible. Piano may be the best reproduced here. But it lacks bass, no question about it.

The MDR-R10 for me rules them all. The soundstage it offers is expansive and natural, and its timbre is just magic. If I had to keep one, this would be it..

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #1,895 of 2,979

Stax Sr-omega (his)
Stax Sr-x9000 (mine)
Stax sr-007 mk1 (his)
Sennheser He60 (his)

My ranking tiers

1) x9000
2) omega
3) r10
4) he60/007 mk1
5) hp-2i

1) hp-2i
2) x9000 / 007 mk1
3) omega
4) r10
5) he60

I'm glad you all were able to meet up, especially as it's looking like I may not get down there before I leave CA. :)

Really cool impressions and it's also always a treat to see @doyouknowSBmean's glorious setup and music room. Having owned all of these except the Omega but having heard that same pair, (and with the acknowledgement that your HP-2 is a bit of a unique beasts with the upgrades), I agree with pretty much everything you stated and even the rankings. Regarding the x9000 part on classical, that sounds a bit odd, as I have it pretty up there, mainly given the detail/separation/staging. Will have to revisit and look for issues with dynamic range. (actually just realized you're also mainly talking about whether you'd take the Omega/R10 over it for classical?, which I would likely as well but I'd take it over any of the others)

Also thought tone and timbre is where the Omega had the x9000 beat by a smidge, while the x9000 beats it technically. But that was from memory, so good to see reinforcement on that.

And as you stated, the HE60 depends so much specifically on the song your listening to. Listening to something that's vocal heavy and without a need for sizable bass response and it's definitely summit-fi and can hang with the best, but anything else and it gets trounced quite easily by the x9000, R10, HE90, Shang Sr. etc. I've been struggling with whether to keep mine for a long time. How unique it is and sentimental value (first TOTL stat), are the only reasons I still have it.

Lastly, on the R10, that was the exact pair I heard for the first time and two weeks later immediately picked up a pair for sale and sold off other stuff to fund it. It is that good, definitely worth the price if you can find a really good pair. There's just nothing like it and it sounds like pure magic, especially in the midrange. It is for sure bass light, maybe with just a smidge more than the HE60, but so good that you just don't even care lol

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #1,896 of 2,979
Regarding the x9000 part on classical, that sounds a bit odd, as I have it pretty up there, mainly given the detail/separation/staging.

I agree with you on this one. That's where I find the X9k excels.

on the R10, that was the exact pair I heard for the first time and two weeks later immediately picked up a pair for sale and sold off other stuff to fund it. It is that good, definitely worth the price if you can find a really good pair.

Took me a very long time to find a pair, and it is such a remarkable headphone. Its mids remain uniquely superior even after all these years.

Nov 21, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #1,897 of 2,979
The x9000 doesn’t have very good impact or dynamics to make classical exciting. The omega and r10 are significantly more enjoyable.
On more modern styles of music the x9000 works better because the mix already emphasizes these elements.
This explains my previous note about “the who” never sounding worse lol.

Nov 21, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #1,898 of 2,979
The x9000 doesn’t have very good impact or dynamics to make classical exciting. The omega and r10 are significantly more enjoyable.
On more modern styles of music the x9000 works better because the mix already emphasizes these elements.
This explains my previous note about “the who” never sounding worse lol.
Thanks to its untraditional tuning, I can totally understand and agree with the limitation of extensions at both ends of X9000 per se, making it less ideal for classical music even among many many cheaper electrostatic ear speakers which are innately excellent with classical music. However, it is also worth noting that amp combined with source could make significant and dramatic difference!

I think Grand Cayman with Mytek Empire could really give X9000 magic in classical music. It is actually one of my favorite genres listening to that system:) Oddly enough, I actually way much prefer listening to classical music than pop/ modern tracks via x9000 in that prototype system somehow. I could even say that is the best system I tried with classical music due to its out of the world micro and macro dynamics at a premium price though. That combination is unbelievable for classical music and words failed me to describe what I heard. You just have to listen to believe, but then it is also possible that the official version of Grand Cayman might have a different sonic presentation, making my current statement invalid. Guess we could only find out at Canjam NYC 2023.

PS. It is also that system that makes me believe Mytek Empire might the best source for TOTL electrostatic energizers, even more than the heavy loaded higher lineup MSB DACs, as I am currently searching for the source exclusively for my electrostatic system. The empire is so technical and fast while so full and dynamic at the same time which is just insane, like a combination of the best Chip dac and R2R dac. On top of that it is neutral and balanced with much less colorization or its fancy term “ house sound”, being invisible in the system.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #1,899 of 2,979
Thanks to its untraditional tuning, I can totally understand and agree with the limitation of extensions at both ends of X9000 per se, making it less ideal for classical music even among many many cheaper electrostatic ear speakers which are innately excellent with classical music. However, it is also worth noting that amp combined with source could make significant and dramatic difference!

I think Grand Cayman with Mytek Empire could really give X9000 magic in classical music. It is actually one of my favorite genres listening to that system:) Oddly enough, I actually way much prefer listening to classical music than pop/ modern tracks via x9000 in that prototype system somehow. I could even say that is the best system I tried with classical music due to its out of the world micro and macro dynamics at a premium price though. That combination is unbelievable for classical music and words failed me to describe what I heard. You just have to listen to believe, but then it is also possible that the official version of Grand Cayman might have a different sonic presentation, making my current statement invalid. Guess we could only find out at Canjam NYC 2023.

PS. It is also that system that makes me believe Mytek Empire might the best source for TOTL electrostatic energizers, even more than the heavy loaded higher lineup MSB DACs, as I am currently searching for the source exclusively for my electrostatic system. The empire is so technical and fast while so full and dynamic at the same time which is just insane, like a combination of the best Chip dac and R2R dac. On top of that it is neutral and balanced with much less colorization or its fancy term “ house sound”, being invisible in the system.
Issue with that one… as far as I’m concerned, is even though the r10 & omega are awful expensive. It’s still cheaper to just buy both than the grand cayman.. given the increasing value and 100% proven results I’d rather just buy the r10 & omega than try to force it into some kinda tune the x9000 may not 100% be capable of.
Now if we were talking about a different amp at the same price as the Carbon, the narrative would probably hold logic,sure! :)

Nov 21, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #1,900 of 2,979
Issue with that one… as far as I’m concerned, is even though the r10 & omega are awful expensive. It’s still cheaper to just buy both than the grand cayman.. given the increasing value and 100% proven results I’d rather just buy the r10 & omega than try to force it into some kinda tune the x9000 may not 100% be capable of.
Now if we were talking about a different amp at the same price as the Carbon, the narrative would probably hold logic,sure! :)
Understood! I guess it is a matter of different choices and approaches as some prefer to have one end game system with their favorite can and some prefer many different expensive cans.

Yet, my personal finding is when you have a true end game system, you might question the need of any other systems or cans. For example, if you could get the similar bass of TC, the vocal sweet as R10 and the stage and resolution on par with TOTL electrostatic cans with your favorite headphone in your end game system, why would you want another can or another system? After all, we have only one head and can only listen to one can at a time.

Didn’t mean to brag but the first and only guy who actually listened to my current SUS system just told me he threw 50K on a new SUS system. He actually placed the order of the amp at the same night after demoing my system. In particular he has been the Abyss TC guy throughout his audiophile journey who doesn’t normally like Susvara. And… he only listened to my electrostatic system for 15 min though…

Maybe now is the time for me to stop my craziness after five years of building this system and I think I have found the sound I chase for. It is time to make peace with myself.

Peace out!

此音只应天上有,
人间能得几回闻。

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #1,901 of 2,979
How can I forget!
The Stax Sr-Lambda (1970s) non-pro was straight up on par with everything else lol despite a $~300 second hand price tag.
Absolute monster of a headphone and places right at the same tier as the he60/007mk1 for me.
And that original SR-Lambda is still one of my favorites also and gets a good deal of playtime. They ate the first high bias (Pro) versions for breakfast. The standard bias sounded more natural and allowed me to escape into that easily.

Recommended if you can run a LB

Latest Stax L series are all good performance / value.

My top personal est choice: Eksonics Aeras with my
SR-007 mk1 along with the Classic SR-Xmk3 Pro and SR-L700.

The SR-Sigma is a unique listening experience.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #1,903 of 2,979
And that original SR-Lambda is still one of my favorites also and gets a good deal of playtime. They ate the first high bias (Pro) versions for breakfast. The standard bias sounded more natural and allowed me to escape into that easily.

Recommended if you can run a LB

Latest Stax L series are all good performance / value.

My top personal est choice: Eksonics Aeras with my
SR-007 mk1 along with the Classic SR-Xmk3 Pro and SR-L700.

The SR-Sigma is a unique listening experience.
Agree on the SR-Sigma, whether the original or the modded ones with SR-404 drivers. Something to be experienced. :)

Nov 23, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #1,904 of 2,979
Spent an hour tonight running the entire Demon Days Gorillaz album straight. Been a few years since I heard it and in some ways it felt like for the first time all over again.

I stand by my previous comments about the X9000 being an awesome headphone with modern mixes - especially those that incorporate electronic or hip-hop.
The earpad seal seems to improve as the leather warms to your skin. At some point mid-album there were strong out of head effects from the combination of an ethereal sound signature & weightlessness.

Over two years ago, I came back to the site to purchase the killer new system. Instead I wrestled with a lot of systems that I didn't like better than what I had (009s, LCD3/4, CRBN, TC, Utopia)...
I think it's time to go back into audiophile hibernation. The x9000 might not challenge the Omega or R10 for the classics, but I have the hp-1000 for that.
:metal:

Nov 23, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #1,905 of 2,979
> I think it's time to go back into audiophile hibernation.

Same here, long time ago. That state (not caring about what others say, just enjoy the music) could be achieved with (almost) any of the headphones mentioned above when placed in a matching environment. The SR-Lambda seems to be evergreen and totally affordable. Maybe I will get one, after all. Only that I am fully satisfied with my system and just having more things looming around is a non-goal in general.

After almost selling it, recently I managed to elevate my Denon D9200 to e-stat levels plus insane dynamics. I am still exploring and savouring its dynamic capabilities, so I can totally relate to the enthusiasm for the Sony R10. And that comes through even with a good DAP... now that sound quality, especially when portable, makes it an unbelievable value. I will make some more efforts in this direction. But for overall musical enjoyment, true timbre and low-level musical resolution I still cling to my e-stats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back