Stax SR-X9000
Jun 10, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #1,366 of 2,979
I agree with Michael from Woo Audio that EQ could harm sound quality
In what way? I’ve heard people say this but I really don’t know who could hear a “reduction”.

Jun 10, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #1,367 of 2,979
In what way? I’ve heard people say this but I really don’t know who could hear a “reduction”.
I personaly find this to be a can by can thing but I have had circumstances where you get detail/seperation/dynamic losses from eq. I've also had others where I didn't think thete was any loss in technicality though (notably lcd-5). Tbh if the eq is the difference between liking a can and not, I would just use a decent software (something outside of windows mixer) and not worry about it personaly

Jun 10, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #1,368 of 2,979
I personaly find this to be a can by can thing but I have had circumstances where you get detail/seperation/dynamic losses from eq. I've also had others where I didn't think thete was any loss in technicality though (notably lcd-5). Tbh if the eq is the difference between liking a can and not, I would just use a decent software (something outside of windows mixer) and not worry about it personaly
I never use EQ. If something is wrong with the recording, the amp, the dap etc., then it is wrong but the signal does get processed more and some feel it is fine. But I don't use it, except in my car. :^)

Jun 10, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #1,369 of 2,979
I never use EQ. If something is wrong with the recording, the amp, the dap etc., then it is wrong but the signal does get processed more and some feel it is fine. But I don't use it, except in my car. :^)
Eq is used to correct Transducers not the recordings most often though. At least that's how I view it

Jun 10, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #1,370 of 2,979
I feel stax can be bass head's cup of tea with amp like T2 ( with Mullard Tube, the bass is soul shaking), dacs like Rockna or Mojo Mystique (too tight and too much bass), and cables like JPS Lite ( too hard and too tight)

Don't mislead @Trance_Gott.

A bit too much hyperbole, the T2 doesn't transform things into bass cannons. It can help ameliorate some softness and provide adequate punch.

Yea, the T2 definitely improves bass more than any amp I've tried across the board. Particularly the x9000 and SGL saw really nice performance gains in that regard. (With the CRBN in comparison I saw a larger gain in openness, layering and detail which was also great).

But I do agree with the second statement here, no amp is going to transform stats into something they aren't, although you can definitely reach satisfying bass in general. To be clear, for me, I really enjoy the CRBN and x9000's bass. The SGL is what I wanted just a bit more out of, and I got that with the T2, which made sense as it's the hardest stat I have to drive.

Jun 10, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #1,371 of 2,979
Yea, the T2 definitely improves bass more than any amp I've tried across the board. Particularly the x9000 and SGL saw really nice performance gains in that regard. (With the CRBN in comparison I saw a larger gain in openness, layering and detail which was also great).

But I do agree with the second statement here, no amp is going to transform stats into something they aren't, although you can definitely reach satisfying bass in general. To be clear, for me, I really enjoy the CRBN and x9000's bass. The SGL is what I wanted just a bit more out of, and I got that with the T2, which made sense as it's the hardest stat I have to drive.
What amp or amps did you compare the T2, to?

Jun 10, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #1,372 of 2,979
I have not seen much discussion on the synergy of the source for electrostatic headphone amplifiers. I just upgraded to the Aries Cerat Helene and I am finding it pairs much better than the DirectStream it is replacing. This isn't just the quality itself but its output design. It outputs 5v into my RSA A-10 which when combined with the A-10's output really brings the SR-009s to life.

Jun 10, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #1,373 of 2,979
I have not seen much discussion on the synergy of the source for electrostatic headphone amplifiers. I just upgraded to the Aries Cerat Helene and I am finding it pairs much better than the DirectStream it is replacing. This isn't just the quality itself but its output design. It outputs 5v into my RSA A-10 which when combined with the A-10's output really brings the SR-009s to life.
Do you have any way to measure the spl you are getting at the max with the A-10?

Jun 10, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #1,374 of 2,979

A bit too much hyperbole, the T2 doesn't transform things into bass cannons. It can help ameliorate some softness and provide adequate punch.
I wouldn't judge anyone as misleading if I haven't heard that system, as Why "I'm misleading" while only you are correct? It is too assumptious and judgemental which could instigate arguments which is against that protocol in this forum.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #1,375 of 2,979
Wow! 5v is a lot. I was thinking on adjusting the output of my M1SE to 3.5v.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 10, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #1,376 of 2,979
Wow! 5v is a lot. I was thinking on adjusting the output of my M1SE to 3.5v.
I like 4 volts for balance input. Some people do use more though but 4 volts is normally more than enough.

Jun 10, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #1,377 of 2,979

What tubes are in your T2 system? What dac and cables are you using? Have you heard dac as Rockna and Mojo Mystique, and cables as JPS Lite? If you have done all of this, then you will be qualified to have an opinion or as you like to judge if the bass is overwhelmingly too much to YOUR ears.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #1,378 of 2,979
I like 4 volts for balance input. Some people do use more though but 4 volts is normally more than enough.

Rockna uses like 7v+ iirc off of xlr. But I agree. I usualy use 3 or 4 v in xlr. Otherwise I find I don't tend to get enough play on most
volume pots tbh

Jun 10, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #1,379 of 2,979
If you ever share thoughts about the Helene somewhere, could you please link them. Would be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back