Stax SR-X9000
Jun 10, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #1,382 of 3,013
If you ever share thoughts about the Helene somewhere, could you please link them. Would be interested.

Seconded. The hellen is quite interesting to me

Jun 10, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #1,383 of 3,013
The guys selling me Riviera amp upgraded to He-1, and accordingly H-E 1 has better bass than even Rivera with Plannar. This is to say, electrostatic systems could deliver good and amazing bass, depending on set-up.
So true. HE 1 bass somehow combines the best aspects of both planar and electrostatic bass. Great speed, plasticity and impact. But the HE 1 is the only electrostatic headphone setup which offers this, imho.

Jun 10, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #1,384 of 3,013
Seconded. The hellen is quite interesting to me
It was delivered yesterday and I had to decipher a USB cable problem so it only started playing this morning. What a beast. Delivery weight was roughly 125 pounds with unit itself 88 pounds.

PXL_20220609_183022052.jpg
PXL_20220609_232624785.jpg
PXL_20220609_233342146.jpg
PXL_20220610_154912860.jpg

Jun 10, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #1,385 of 3,013
It was delivered yesterday and I had to decipher a USB cable problem so it only started playing this morning. What a beast. Delivery weight was roughly 125 pounds with unit itself 88 pounds.

I865 through hole, one of my favorites. A DAC I built with 6 power supplies, uses the same chip. I stacked the 1865 and even a little better but you have 8 in there so doing good! Would like impressions at some point.

Crazy, very nice!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #1,386 of 3,013
What amp or amps did you compare the T2, to?

I have the BHSE and Aeras here, have owned the BHSE/WES previously for years, plus a few other lower scale, budget stax amps. I haven't tried a Carbon nor speaker amps through transformers.

What tubes are in your T2 system? What dac and cables are you using? Have you heard R2R dac as Rockna and Mojo Mystique, and cables as JPS Lite? If you have done all of this, then you will be qualified to judge if I am misleading or not

I think he was being a bit facetious, given the constant nature of that person's post in this thread. :)

Jun 10, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #1,388 of 3,013

PXL_20220609_183022052.jpgPXL_20220609_232624785.jpgPXL_20220609_233342146.jpgPXL_20220610_154912860.jpg

The baby dac is 88lbs? Well damn. Guess that's out since Idk my rack is even that strong...

Jun 10, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #1,390 of 3,013
I865 through hole, one of my favorites. A DAC I built with 6 power supplies, uses the same chip. I stacked the 1865 and even a little better but you have 8 in there so doing good! Would like impressions at some point.

Crazy, very nice!
Per their specifications, it is actually 8 R2R converters per channel, complimentary current output using the top grade Analogue Devices AD1865N-K with 4 converters per bank, 8 per channel

Jun 11, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #1,391 of 3,013
What tubes are in your T2 system? What dac and cables are you using? Have you heard dac as Rockna and Mojo Mystique, and cables as JPS Lite? If you have done all of this, then you will be qualified to have an opinion or as you like to judge if the bass is overwhelmingly too much to YOUR ears.
Main output XF2/XF4. Main DAC was Berkeley Audio and comparisons were made to HE1, Megatron, BHSE, Carbon, KGSSHV using all the usual STAX.

I have heard those two DACs in other systems -- if you feel you're hearing bass cannons, you are either a combination of deaf and lack a reference.
If you also live in la la land and prescribe that these component changes yield drastic result, let me know, I can ignore you.

Without tempered context, your ramblings sound like those of @Trance_Gott as gospel.

My feeling is bass cannons to me mean 1266 TC, and not to you which explains this departure.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #1,392 of 3,013
The guys selling me Riviera amp upgraded to He-1, and accordingly H-E 1 has better bass than even Rivera with Plannar. This is to say, electrostatic systems could deliver good and amazing bass, depending on set-up.
just listening to my stax setup 009 and mk1 early version with BHSE and they were pretty amazing. 009 delivers bass beautifully as well as the mk1 early version.

Jun 13, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #1,393 of 3,013
From a design standpoint, the SiC FET circuit KGSSHV Carbon, with 22ma of output current at 400V operation (I'm not aware of any available 24ma builds; all the Mjolnir Audio Carbons run at 22ma output current, for instance), wins out over the 15ma output current DIY T2 at 500V operation in the bass quantity/impact department. The DIY T2 is a BJT circuit amp, meaning that the input tubes are directly coupled to the output tubes, so it has a very nice, technical, detailed tube amp sound. The original DIY T2 also has 231 semiconductors, to enable DC domain coupling while keep things nice and linear, among other design goals. The KGSSHV Carbon is much simpler to build and runs cooler than the DIY T2, while putting out significantly more current.

A KGSSHV vs KGSSHV Carbon vs Megatron vs DIY T2 writeup or thread of amp-headphone pairings would be useful; synergy is a big deal if you're trying to squeeze out some extra bass performance, for instance. These are good Stax-compatible amps, but they are not all ideal with every compatible headphone.

I'll defer direct sound comparison comments to these historical ones of some very tenured forum members:

The SR009 out of the Carbon is actually quite a bass monster surpassing the Hifiman HE1000+Susy Dynahi setup on both texture & details and matching its output. The DIY T2 loose out to the Carbon very slightly on the width of soundstage but does make up in the depth department. It is able to render sweeter musical presentation (yes, even more than the BHSE) and about on par at resolving musical details. Bass output is slightly less than that of the Carbon but the T2's bass has more bloom while the Carbon's bass is tighter and come at you at greater speed. This is my take on three amps with the SR-009 so your mileage may vary.

I would simply add that, quite frankly, with good amp synergy or a bit of tube rolling, the here oft-cited e stats have very similar bass performance. The CRBN has a diffuse, highly damped presentation that makes it come across as darker than the others. This is very useful for certain recordings.

The only real outlier in terms of e stat bass quantity and impact is the family lineage consisting of the SR-Omega/007 hybrid, SR-007 MK1, SR-007 MK2, SR-007 MK2.5. It’s certainly a headphone Birgir of Mjolnir Audio likes, saying on his homepage:

Here is something fun, the new Carbon CC with the new Audeze CRBN and one rare beast, a SR-Omega fitted with early SR-007 drivers, quite possibly the best headphones in the world.

By comparison, even with EQ, the original SR-Omega driver will physically distort and rattle itself to death long before attaining SR-Omega II levels of bass. The HE-90 is notorious for practically perfect tonality, minus an impactful bass presentation. The HE-1, by contrast, features excellent bass response, as reported by several owners and as quoted in the post above.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #1,394 of 3,013
To the X9K owners here, I am pretty convinced there is an easy mod for getting rid of the slight fatigue (or rough, slightly aggressive edge) it might cause on the long term, which I think is the main reason why quite many people don't like them or sell them off after a few weeks. The pads are mounted with a mounting ring that goes in the pads and has pins sticking through the earpad flaps and the housing.

Pull off the pads (or use a plastic pry tool), get that mounting ring (on the last pic) out, use some patches of double sided adhesive tape in a few points to mount the pads to the housing, and report the changes you hear. :)

In addition, you can try taking off the outer back grill (on the first pic), and report the changes you hear, together with or separately from the earpads mod.

Jun 18, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #1,395 of 3,013
To the X9K owners here, I am pretty convinced there is an easy mod for getting rid of the slight fatigue (or rough, slightly aggressive edge) it might cause on the long term, which I think is the main reason why quite many people don't like them or sell them off after a few weeks..
This is news to me.
I have not heard many people accusing these of being rough and aggressive.
I’ve also not heard of anyone selling them off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back