Stax SR-X9000
Jun 9, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #1,352 of 2,979
The bass hump and drop-off common to all those graphs are indicative of measurements done with leaky seal, one would do well to ignore everything around 200Hz and below when interpreting.
Blutac mod exists to work around this, stock however basically none of the more modern Stax front seal. So they will have this drop off...

Edit: In saying that, looking at their other charts, they are getting bad seal with several other headphones that can front seal. So there's probably a bit of both here, yes the Stax will likely have some droop in sub bass, but likely nowhere near as bad as what this shows.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #1,353 of 2,979
Hi dude, I just found the frequency response of the X9000 on a chinese website, also the frequency response graphs of SR-Omega and Orpheus!
https://www.woodenears.com/list?categoryUuid=eb3882ba-3d85-4e5f-8ebc-7dd270e60209
X9000 009S.png
omega X9000.png
007X9000.png
X9000 Orpheus.png
What's a bit questionable here is that they've come up with a Harman to B and K target...
Afaik all the Harman research isn't just transposable over, nor is it possible to do a straight conversion.

So there is some salt to be taken from these.

Jun 10, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #1,354 of 2,979
The bass hump and drop-off common to all those graphs are indicative of measurements done with leaky seal, one would do well to ignore everything around 200Hz and below when interpreting.
Sure that seal is important for measurements. I had the 009s and it bass leaks vs Susvara.
Btw the conclusion of the bass resulted from listenings by @Nomax and not measurements.

Jun 10, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #1,355 of 2,979
Everyone has different tastes

As already mentioned, the mids and highs of the X9000 are very good, really great, nothing disturbs them anymore 👍
That's only two-thirds of the whole performance for me
For the one third, everyone must decide for themselves how much is sufficient for them in the low end
If someone can get used to the fact that the X9000 has less than in this third than a Utopia, you can buy this model for 7000 euros

NOMAX

PS.has the Utopia to less in this third or to much?😉
For my taste.,at least that's enough for me
In any case, it shouldn't be less in this area for me when I spend tens of thousands of euros

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #1,356 of 2,979
Blutack mod is only applicable to the SR-007A/MK2 and new lambdas that have ported ear cavities, measurements exist elsewhere that are more representative of the headphones in those graphs (minus the SR-X9000) but with proper seal. "B&K 4128" just refers to the rig they used rather than any sort of target I believe.

Subjective impressions are well and good, I only caution against drawing any sort of conclusion regarding bass from these graphs in particular.

Jun 10, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #1,357 of 2,979
After looking at those graphs and actually listening to them all I can say is we need more people doing these tests

Also the seal on the x9k as others have said isn’t the tightest. They rest comfortably like the susvara. The 007 has a tighter grip on my head. Anyway I’m sure all our heads are different sizes anyway.

Jun 10, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #1,358 of 2,979
Blutack mod is only applicable to the SR-007A/MK2 and new lambdas that have ported ear cavities, measurements exist elsewhere that are more representative of the headphones in those graphs (minus the SR-X9000) but with proper seal. "B&K 4128" just refers to the rig they used rather than any sort of target I believe.

Subjective impressions are well and good, I only caution against drawing any sort of conclusion regarding bass from these graphs in particular.
Just to clarify Harman developed the curve on Gras rigs. They did some initial investigation into adapting it for the 4128 but found the responses differed comparatively that it would need to be redone specifically for it instead of just being converted and applied. So the fact the site offers a Harman curve overlay is telling...

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #1,359 of 2,979
What's a bit questionable here is that they've come up with a Harman to B and K target...
Afaik all the Harman research isn't just transposable over, nor is it possible to do a straight conversion.

So there is some salt to be taken from these.
you just need a dac like rockna, or mojo mystique
or a cable like jps lite

then you will never complain lack of bass

I promise

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #1,360 of 2,979
Jun 10, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #1,361 of 2,979
I enjoy the CRBN, which is why I still have it. I've tested it and the x9000 and SGL Sr. extensively over the past 2 months or so. With the BHSE, Aeras and T2. It has a smidge more bass impact than the x9000, and perceived quantity of about the same. x9000 has more detailed and accurate bass. They both still have 'lighter' bass than the average planar or dynamic, just like every other stat that exists--except the 007 MK1 (and I'm sure other variations potentially).

I'm mentioning this mainly for potential buyers, as I was extremely disappointed with the CRBN's bass initially due to impressions and posts on this forum (that's absolutely not the case now after realizing why and judging it outside of these forums). The CRBN and x9000 are completely in the same realm of overall perceived level of bass imo.

If you want hard thumping bass or large perceived quantities of bass, stats just aren't the right choice imho.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #1,362 of 2,979
I enjoy the CRBN, which is why I still have it. I've tested it and the x9000 and SGL Sr. extensively over the past 2 months or so. With the BHSE, Aeras and T2. It has a smidge more bass impact than the x9000, and perceived quantity of about the same. x9000 has more detailed and accurate bass. They both still have 'lighter' bass than the average planar or dynamic, just like every other stat that exists--except the 007 MK1 (and I'm sure other variations potentially).

I'm mentioning this mainly for potential buyers, as I was extremely disappointed with the CRBN's bass initially due to impressions and posts on this forum (that's absolutely not the case now after realizing why and judging it outside of these forums). The CRBN and x9000 are completely in the same realm of overall perceived level of bass imo.

If you want hard thumping bass or large perceived quantities of bass, stats just aren't the right choice imho.
Yeah honestly for me my 007mk1 + a 7db boost in the sub bass and these things punch and have some of the best bass I’ve ever heard. They rumble super well and make a genre, like hiphop for example, a super enjoyable experience which no other estat or planar for that matter have matched for me (again running off a 323s)

Jun 10, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #1,363 of 2,979

I feel stax can be bass head's cup of tea with amp like T2 ( with Mullard Tube, the bass is soul shaking), dacs like Rockna or Mojo Mystique (too tight and too much bass), and cables like JPS Lite ( too hard and too tight)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #1,364 of 2,979
Yeah honestly for me my 007mk1 + a 7db boost in the sub bass and these things punch and have some of the best bass I’ve ever heard. They rumble super well and make a genre, like hiphop for example, a super enjoyable experience which no other estat or planar for that matter have matched for me (again running off a 323s)
I agree with Michael from Woo Audio that EQ could harm sound quality

Jun 10, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #1,365 of 2,979
I feel stax can be bass head's cup of tea with amp like T2 ( with Mullard Tube, the bass is soul shaking), dacs like Rockna or Mojo Mystique (too tight and too much bass), and cables like JPS Lite ( too hard and too tight)
Don't mislead @Trance_Gott.

A bit too much hyperbole, the T2 doesn't transform things into bass cannons. It can help ameliorate some softness and provide adequate punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back