Stax Sr-X Mark III Impressions
Sep 24, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #151 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre
Well, technically it's a "Class-H" receiver, a variation of Class-D. The model # is SA-GX490.

Isn't class H a hybrid of class AB and class D, where the audio signal controls a variable power supply?

Sep 24, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #152 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Isn't class H a hybrid of class AB and class D, where the audio signal controls a variable power supply?

Yeah, I think so (link).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
...although I got rid of it by using a tube preamp before the energizer.

Hmm, I think I might have to try and power my SRD-7 with my el-cheapo DIY tube hybrid headphone amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd297
The important thing about sibilance is that it should sound "SSSSSS". <snip> OTOH if it sounds "SZZZZZZZZ" then you have a pair of Lambda's on your head.........

Does that imply that the mk3's are more accurate than the Lambda's?

Sep 24, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #153 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl

Almost. The class H power supply circuit resembles a class-D amplifier circuit, but a class H amp isn't a switching (output devices either on or off) amp, so to call it a hybrid with class D would be stretching it.

Tyre, are you noticing an actual sizzle on vocal sibilants? A buzz on top of a whistle?

Wouldn't be a bad idea to try another amp. Were you throroughly familiar with the Technics?

Sep 24, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #154 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
Tyre, are you noticing an actual sizzle on vocal sibilants? A buzz on top of a whistle?

Not really any buzz, more like a harshness on the ending of words, most notably on ones ending in "s". I have another receiver I can use, I'll try it and see what happens.

Sep 25, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #155 of 223
Quote:

Almost. The class H power supply circuit resembles a class-D amplifier circuit, but a class H amp isn't a switching (output devices either on or off) amp, so to call it a hybrid with class D would be stretching it.

I was thinking more class D power supply paired with a class AB audio circuit.

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #160 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Gilmore
No they are not for sale.

frown.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #162 of 223
Add me to the stax team
smily_headphones1.gif
Was finally able to snag a pair off ebay for a good price. How good are the srd-7 transformer boxes? Better than the srd-6 i assume? Now is the waiting time, gosh darn, i want my stax!
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #163 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
Add me to the stax team
smily_headphones1.gif
Was finally able to snag a pair off ebay for a good price. How good are the srd-7 transformer boxes? Better than the srd-6 i assume? Now is the waiting time, gosh darn, i want my stax!
evil_smiley.gif

You did well. Congratulations. I did get an explicit statement from the seller that the SR-X Mk3 you won is indeed in good working order, so I think you'll be pleased. I just hope that newbie seller doesn't try to wrap the phones and the SRD-7 together. They should be bubblewrapped separately and preferably boxed separately.

The SRD-7 and its high-bias variants are the best transformer boxen Stax ever made. They're surprisingly good. I used to drive my Mk 2 with a 200w/ch amp and the SRD-7 took it without whimpering.

Buy the Audiocubes replacement pads only if the originals are falling off. The replacements are nowhere near the quality of the originals.

Compare them to the ECR-500. Try listening to some binaural material on each and report your findings.

Oct 20, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #164 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
Add me to the stax team
smily_headphones1.gif
evil_smiley.gif

I almost was going to bid on that set. I decided I didn't need to have another set of cans kicking around here just yet. Glad they went to another good head-fier instead (and that we didn't unnecessarily increase the price for each other). Enjoy!

Oct 20, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #165 of 223
Quote:

You did well. Congratulations. I did get an explicit statement from the seller that the SR-X Mk3 you won is indeed in good working order, so I think you'll be pleased. I just hope that newbie seller doesn't try to wrap the phones and the SRD-7 together. They should be bubblewrapped separately and preferably boxed separately.

The SRD-7 and its high-bias variants are the best transformer boxen Stax ever made. They're surprisingly good. I used to drive my Mk 2 with a 200w/ch amp and the SRD-7 took it without whimpering.

Buy the Audiocubes replacement pads only if the originals are falling off. The replacements are nowhere near the quality of the originals.

Compare them to the ECR-500. Try listening to some binaural material on each and report your findings.

I can't imagine the new replacement pads being worse than anything; those were some of the nicest pleather pads I've EVER worn; extremely comfortable and smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back