Stax Sr-X Mark III Impressions
May 2, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #121 of 223
I've got a set on the way from Audiocubes but I think I'll stick with the Omega pads. Sure they cost more then I paid for my SR-X but hey this isn't supposed to make sense
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #122 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer
Ok I got thinking on the comfort issue and my set needing a new pair of pads so I just made an adaptor so I can fit my spare Omega pads too the SR-X.
biggrin.gif
There might be some echo because the pads are so much thicker but they are really comfortable now. More on this later...

Sweet! How's the sound?

May 2, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #123 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix
You can just buy a set of new pads from audiocubes for about $25 shipped if you want the orginal sound. Also, I noticed the headband is very uncomfortable for me. So, I cut a piece of 1" thick memory foam from my mattress pad and put it under the headband. I taped it to keep it there. The phones look ghetto, but they are very comfortable.

If you find the headband uncomfortable, you can replace it with a beyerdynamic one. But first you need to remove it. The decorative piece on the side that lists the model number hides the screws. If you manage to remove that piece, unscrew it and remove the headband. If you do not care about the resale value, you can cut it off and clip the beyerdynamic one.

May 2, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #125 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
There's always this:

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/my/stax_transf.html

Doesn't sound like it'd do me, as he recommends the amp be at least 13Wpc (my design will be lucky if it reaches 3Wpc), but it should work a treat with a Class D amp.

Carl i am curious, what are you planning? Direct coupled? to 300B? 2A3?
i hadn't looked into it, but figured Lundahl would have had trannies for this
and i would think that 3W would be enough.

May 2, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #126 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by evil-zen
If you find the headband uncomfortable, you can replace it with a beyerdynamic one. But first you need to remove it. The decorative piece on the side that lists the model number hides the screws. If you manage to remove that piece, unscrew it and remove the headband. If you do not care about the resale value, you can cut it off and clip the beyerdynamic one.

Thanks for the tip. How much do the headbands cost?

Kuma, the fair market price for the Sr-x's is around a $100-150.

May 2, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #127 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Sweet! How's the sound?

Quite good actually. They are a bit rolled off at the top and the bass is a little distant but I thing I prefer the omega pads. Comfort is my nr.1 pet peeve in this hobby and now I can use them for hours.

May 3, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #129 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
Thanks John!

So, the Stax pricing guide is way off, then.

What does the stax pricing guide say?

May 3, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #130 of 223
I think he means the "audiophile price guide" on SimplyStax.com. They've listed what is probably your eBay auction as the going price in the US, which if people believe it will cause, first, grief; then, as people stop paying ridiculous amounts, a lowering of prices. I hope. The SR-X Mk 3 has been known to go for nearly its original list price ($300) on eBay and that's just too much.

May 3, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #132 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by studeb
Carl i am curious, what are you planning? Direct coupled? to 300B? 2A3?
i hadn't looked into it, but figured Lundahl would have had trannies for this
and i would think that 3W would be enough.

I'm going to go 45 > interstage transformer > 10 > push-pull.

10s are simply gorgeous tubes, but getting more than 2W out of them, even in push pull, will be difficult. Of course, I could always use a stepup transformer in the transformer box.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer
Quite good actually. They are a bit rolled off at the top and the bass is a little distant but I thing I prefer the omega pads. Comfort is my nr.1 pet peeve in this hobby and now I can use them for hours.

Good to know.

May 3, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #133 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix
Thanks for the tip. How much do the headbands cost?

Should be $20 or less. I'm not so sure about US prices.

May 3, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #135 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
Yes. Quite a jump in price with an extension cord.

What's so special about this cord?
confused.gif

Nothing really, may have just been the way the auction went.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back