Stax Sr-X Mark III Impressions
Apr 30, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #107 of 223
Excellent! Italian ingenuity to the rescue. Now you can make your own transformer box and/or modify a low-bias one to high bias by substituting a few parts. Thanks for hunting that up!

Ooh, not cheap, though. $115 US for the power transformer.

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #108 of 223
how would you create a box with one socket of each bias?

May 1, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #110 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix
how would you create a box with one socket of each bias?

Just make two different bias circuits (they're one of the easier parts to make anyway), and parallel the up the outputs to both connectors.

As long as you don't plan to run both at the same time, and change the volume before you switch outputs, it should work fine.

May 1, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #111 of 223
The problem with this forum is that it's boosting the prices of these units on e-bay. I was watching a set with an SRD-7, which went for about $260.00 with shipping. I was hoping for about $50-$80.00.

We seem to be seeing the development of a market in rare phones. Certainly of the Stax stats which unless they are seriously abused, seem to run forever. Even though Stax, and other manufacturers, contend that the new models are an improvement, there may be some sonic features that were lost with the newer units.

I personally still like the low bias Sigmas and have been enjoying an old set recently when for the first time in years I got my Stax low bias amp working properly. While the high bias units have more dynamics, the lbS have more ambience and a somewhat sweeter sound.

May 1, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #112 of 223
The same thing happened to the k340's. However, if you keep looking for them, deals will pop up. I saw some recently go for $80 with bad pads. Just set them up as a favorite search on e-bay, you'll get e-mails when new things are posted on e-bay. If I find a pair of pro bias mk IIIs (crosses fingers) sometime this summer, I'll sell you mine for a fair price.

May 2, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #113 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow
The problem with this forum is that it's boosting the prices of these units on e-bay. I was watching a set with an SRD-7, which went for about $260.00 with shipping. I was hoping for about $50-$80.00.

That would be me. Actually I have another pair of SR-X Mk3 but one side is bonkers and it's driving me bonkers too. So I guess I'll pay more for a mint set and use it for the next 10 years. Actually I won't have use of the SRD-7 and would most probably sell it soon.

May 2, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #114 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow

We seem to be seeing the development of a market in rare phones. Certainly of the Stax stats which unless they are seriously abused, seem to run forever. Even though Stax, and other manufacturers, contend that the new models are an improvement, there may be some sonic features that were lost with the newer units.

Well, maybe it might induce Stax to revisit the old designs. Where the old designs have the edge is in accuracy from upper bass up. The Lambda-based designs all sound doctored for a particular taste.

May 2, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #115 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd297
Well, maybe it might induce Stax to revisit the old designs. Where the old designs have the edge is in accuracy from upper bass up. The Lambda-based designs all sound doctored for a particular taste.

I still think there current line up is doing quite well and remember that one man's accurate is another man's bright, sterile or dark, etc. It would be nice for them to revisit this old design as I completely love it, but it is not likely.

May 2, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #116 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix
I still think there current line up is doing quite well and remember that one man's accurate is another man's bright, sterile or dark, etc.

Sorry, but accuracy is accuracy. Lots of people don't like accurate, that's why they turn the colour up too far on TV, etc.......

May 2, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #117 of 223
I think at the very least these phones are revealing but I simply don't have enough experience with classsical performances and other phones to call them accurate.

May 2, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #118 of 223
They are revealing in the normal electrostatic way but they don't come close to the big boys in that department. For the price they are a steel but they’re comfort is sadly lacking.

Btw. Has anybody removed the wool inside the chamber to let the back wave out? This might open the phones up a bit and add a bit more bass. I can't try this because mine are padless at the moment.

May 2, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #119 of 223
Ok I got thinking on the comfort issue and my set needing a new pair of pads so I just made an adaptor so I can fit my spare Omega pads too the SR-X.
biggrin.gif
There might be some echo because the pads are so much thicker but they are really comfortable now. More on this later...

May 2, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #120 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer
Ok I got thinking on the comfort issue and my set needing a new pair of pads so I just made an adaptor so I can fit my spare Omega pads too the SR-X.
biggrin.gif
There might be some echo because the pads are so much thicker but they are really comfortable now. More on this later...

You can just buy a set of new pads from audiocubes for about $25 shipped if you want the orginal sound. Also, I noticed the headband is very uncomfortable for me. So, I cut a piece of 1" thick memory foam from my mattress pad and put it under the headband. I taped it to keep it there. The phones look ghetto, but they are very comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back